Squats and pinkies

The Flying Tench

I've almost never used these. I think I did get some flouro-pinkies once, but I found I got as many bites on normal maggots and didn't see the point.

What are they really for? Are they mainly for canals, or do they have a role in rivers? My reason for asking is that, for some reason, at the moment I don't seem to be able to get a bite on the Thames with maggot. This is unusual. In the past the fish might have been small, but maggot feeder would always get me something. If i go down to squats and pinkies will this just bring micro-fish, or might they tempt better fish in these cold conditions?

john clarke

Don’t write Pinkies off at this time of year John as I’ve found some waters switch over to them when the temperatures have dropped through the floor. I’ve fished waters where the fish wouldn’t even touch a normal sized maggot; but will still be willing to take a small Pinkie that’s wriggling in front of their noses.

As you must know; fish often start feeding a lot less once the temperatures really start to drop; and a small lively pinkie drifting past them will often stimulate them into grabbing it before it drifts past even if they are not actively looking for food; whereas a much larger maggot will often be totally ignored as it drifts past probably because they are only willing to take smaller morsels when the temperatures start to drastically drop.

Using much finer lines and smaller hooks will also make a lot of difference in very low temperatures too.

NB: Chub are a noticeable exception and will take large baits right through the year unless the temperatures have drastically dropped over night.

Also when it gets really cold the fish are often reluctant to move very far; and if you are using a feeder in these situations you stand a good chance of spooking any fish that are anywhere near the proximity of the feeder; when it falls and settles close to them.

Thats what I have experienced in quite a few venues over the years once the temperatures have begun to drop during the coldest months.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

On 12/23/2021 at 10:14 PM, BoldBear said:

Don’t write Pinkies off at this time of year John as I’ve found some waters switch over to them when the temperatures have dropped through the floor. I’ve fished waters where the fish wouldn’t even touch a normal sized maggot; but will still be willing to take a small Pinkie that’s wriggling in front of their noses.

As you must know; fish often start feeding a lot less once the temperatures really start to drop; and a small lively pinkie drifting past them will often stimulate them into grabbing it before it drifts past even if they are not actively looking for food; whereas a much larger maggot will often be totally ignored as it drifts past probably because they are only willing to take smaller morsels when the temperatures start to drastically drop.

Using much finer lines and smaller hooks will also make a lot of difference in very low temperatures too.

NB: Chub are a noticeable exception and will take large baits right through the year unless the temperatures have drastically dropped over night.

Also when it gets really cold the fish are often reluctant to move very far; and if you are using a feeder in these situations you stand a good chance of spooking any fish that are anywhere near the proximity of the feeder; when it falls and settles close to them.

Thats what I have experienced in quite a few venues over the years once the temperatures have begun to drop during the coldest months.

Keith

Thanks, Keith. Depending on the weather I'll give pinkies a try. As to the feeder scaring the fish, my problem is that I need a way of searching for the fish. I can see that float would be the best, but in the low light of a dull winter day my eyes are not up to seeing the float clearly enough. I had a try recently, and was losing mags from the hook but never saw a bite. Suggestions would be welcome, though I realise there may be no easy answers. Presumably the risk of spooking is less if there is colour in the water. Maybe I should get a really tiny feeder?

• Like 1

john clarke

On 12/23/2021 at 11:14 PM, Blackbird said:

Some excellent advice there. Also punched bread on the hook, with mashed bread as an attractor. but make sure its mash not crumb or liquidised, important not to feed.

Thanks, Neil, but can you explain the advantage of mashed bread over the others. Once it gets in the water I can't see the difference between mashed and liquidised, though in each case I realise it depends how finely you mash/liquidise. As to crumb, I read an article recently which said crumb was a 'more positive bait' by which I understood that you expect the fish to guzzle more of it. But I'd expect the opposite. Surely, the fish eat one crumb at a time, and the individual crumbs are smaller than the little bits of bread in the other methods. I realise it would be different with carp hoovering it up.

john clarke

I mostly used them for snatching bleak that would struggle to take a maggot.

I seem to recall bream guys using them to hold fish as they dig into the substrate, and fish will hang around to find them.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Liquidised Sweetcorn puts a nice yellow cloud in the water on the Commercials with nothing for the Carp to actually eat.

Perhaps "Bubble Float" could offer his input on this as he's obviously a 300%  "Master Baiter" !! 👌

Edited by Martin56
  • Thanks 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

1 hour ago, Martin56 said:

Liquidised Sweetcorn puts a nice yellow cloud in the water on the Commercials with nothing for the Carp to actually eat.

Perhaps "Bubble Float" could offer his input on this as he's obviously a  "Master Baiter" !! 👌

Edited by Martin56
added info'

12 minutes ago, Martin56 said:

12 minutes ago, Martin56 said:

What a great pity that "Bubblefloat"  has brought the Maggotdrowners site into disrepute!!

Edited by Martin56