The Yorkshire Vet!!

Martin56

OK, so a Lamb worth about £40 needs medical attention, & Peter runs the Skeldale House (James Herriot) Practice.

They must be in with a multi million pound Insurance company.

In 1967 - a Vets home visit fee was about 5 to 15 shillings (including his petrol)

These days, you're looking at £2,000+ for same.

Vets are actually taking the Pee out of the fact that one Loves a family Pet - Jabs, Special food (Old Ladies love the fact that they get "Special Food" recommended by the Vitinery)

Load of Rowlocks - Our 14 year old cat lives on Whiskas Tasty Shreds, Hi Life Treats, Dreamies, Go Cat Biscuits + the odd Rat, Mouse & bird.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I think most series on tvs are just set pieces like judge judy where both parties pretend to act and both get rewarded for doing so .I think the vet at guildford is more realistic he IS expensive but if i got sick i would prefer him to treat me than the newer doctors at my practice they are more concerned with treating the symptoms rather than the cause .Most of the time if the camera is on the speaker when they start speaking (rather than panning between) they are being directed and thus acting the cameraman knows what they are going to do rather than reacting to reality where he wouldnt .

I see theres going to be a new All creatures great and small i bet the foreign and disabled quota will be full! Probably even the animals aswell hopefully this "pronoun" nonsense isnt included 🤬

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It'd be watchable with an update:

• Haha 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Shes not naked 🙄

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago I read the biography of James Herriot written by his son. The series of books by JH (I will use the book/series names rather than their real names) are semi-autobiographical, with some situations being based on things experienced by colleagues, not by JH himself, and were in many cases exaggerated - poetic licence. One thing that came out at the start of the book was that Siegfried Farnon had recently lost his wife to TB just prior to JH joining the practice, a fact that was not mentioned at all in the books. After the first novel came out, Siegfried threatened to sue JH but eventually didn't. 

At the end of the book is a section on how all the main people in the books died....

Callum Buchanan was the first to die, in a car accident in Canada where he had emigrated with his wife.

Tristan was (IIRC) the next to go, dying of natural causes.

James Herriot was next, again from natural causes.

One night, Siegfried went downstairs to where they kept the drugs, took an overdose of barbiturates and died a couple of days later. 

Helen died from natural causes.

The practice is still there next to the James Herriot museum. The recent series uses items from the museum which were used in the practice when the series was set or were from the same time. 

I've read the complete series several times and have both TV series on DVD as well as the two films that preceded them. Looking forward to the next series :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.