Inducing Perch to bite

The Flying Tench

I fished a swim on the Thames today with lobworm using ledger, as it was a high bank and I couldn't see a float while sitting which I need to do. I had one reasonable fish of 1.5lbs, but then it went very quiet even though I was pretty sure there were other perch there. So I tried inching the worm through the swim, but this got them nipping at the worm but not taking it.

It occurs to me I was too close to the swim, so that could have scared them. But have you any tricks for persuading them to bite? Oh, I used lobworm flavoured groundbait which I think has worked in the past. But is making the bait move the best way, or would I do better to bring a lure rod in addition to the feeder rod? Or would that just scare them completely!

john clarke

Many, MANY moons ago I took my bruv fishing on a local lake - acting on some intelligence we were both after perch - he ledgered out in the middle and every minute gave the reel handle a single turn and slowly twitched the bait back to the bank - I thought he was nuts, but he caught way more than I did that day (and lost a few rigs!!!).

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

A few strands of bright red wool whipped/tied on the hook when fishing with worms for Perch works, when twitching & don't retrieve all time - just do a few mini strikes in the same place - wind in 2 or 3 turns & repeat.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I thought I'd add my tuppence worth - try cutting the lobworm in half then hook both halves, the released extra smell can attract.  Also along with CP's suggestion trying popping up the lobworm with a hyperdermic syringe though do be ultra careful when using it!!!

2 hours ago, The Flying Tench said:

Thanks for useful ideas, will hopefully try them all.

Chris, I know you usually use a float when after perch. Do you do anything to give motion and life to the bait?

John

yes - will often twitch it or even recast - often get bites on the drop....

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I tried all the above ideas today, though hard to deduce anything definite as there were a lot more bites, so inducing bites wasn't the main problem. There was a problem, though, with me missing what looked like good bites, I think because they felt resistance even from my shaved down quiver tip. Peter's suggestion of cutting the worm in half helped the most with this. Thanks Peter, indeed thank y'all!

• Like 1

john clarke

On 10/22/2022 at 12:04 PM, Blackbird said:

Missed bites with worm is always down to nipping the end and not engulfing the bait.

Maggots for that reason would be a better bet.

Neil, I agree about the perch nipping the end of the worm, but the problem with maggots, certainly in the Thames, is that you get endless nibbles from prey fish. I tried it today. I had a number 6 hook and lobworm, but the response was slow so I put on six maggots, but it came back each time with the ends of all the maggots nipped. Maybe I should have put on a smaller hook, but I tried that a couple of weeks ago and I caught lots of mini fish, though I did have one decent perch on admittedly who shed the small barbless hook.

But I shouldn't dismiss maggots too quickly. When it gets colder the mini fish won't be so prolific. It would be interesting to know how you (or anyone else) go about fishing for perch with maggot. For example, would I be right in thinking barbless hooks are not a good idea with perch?

john clarke