It's propper quiet on here....

Tigger

Social media is an awful place to talk fishing, you get the anti anglers, the women after your account numbers and the underhand spoilers, I'm sure the problem is many people love talking about angling but don't want to debate it, which happens quite a lot within forums, wanting to use a forum is a bit like wanting to go fishing, you either do or you don't....

As to being quiet on AN, it is a self perpetuating problem, the less people post  the less people look in, new, potential members look at the post numbers and just don't bother, Ian mentions Maggot Drowners, but the forum is match orientated and even though I used to be a dedicated matchman, imho today's match anglers are only interested in catching 200lbs plus, not the skill in catching 2lbs from a hard natural venue, so it is our choice, the days of hundreds of members potentially posting every day are long gone, these days it is easier to click onto YouTube and watch videos of your interest....

Edited by Whitty
  • Like 1

I used to post here regularly about 15 years ago. Just recently got back into angling after a few years of not getting around to it. It is a shame to see it so quiet on here now. 

I went drop shotting in Ludham on the broads a few evenings ago in really hot weather. Not a bite. Is that normal in hot weather?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SPSwallow said:

I used to post here regularly about 15 years ago. Just recently got back into angling after a few years of not getting around to it. It is a shame to see it so quiet on here now. 

I went drop shotting in Ludham on the broads a few evenings ago in really hot weather. Not a bite. Is that normal in hot weather?

You may be more at home with drop shotting than me; however I had the same problem when I bought a fox rage dropshotting rod and the associated tackle & lures and started drop shotting on the canal. I tried close up to moored barges and all along the near shelf and tight up to a lock; and I used different sizes and coloured dropshot lures as well; however not a touch.

The next time I tried I started to vary the amount of rod tip movements and the speed of my twitching and I also learned that not all takes are as savage as you often get when your spinning with a mepps; and the fish can often just take the drop shot lure without even moving off; and so to look out for the tiny plucks; and I started to get the odd perch.

Im still learning and each time I try drop shotting I seem to improve a little; but I’ve still got a lot to learn as far as drop shotting is concerned.

None of my fishing friends go drop shotting so I’m having to learn all on my own without anyone to tell me what I’m doing wrong, but I’ll get there eventually as long as I keep improving a bit each time that I go drop shotting. 🙂

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 2

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

On 9/13/2023 at 8:31 PM, BoldBear said:

You may be more at home with drop shotting than me; however I had the same problem when I bought a fox rage dropshotting rod and the associated tackle & lures and started drop shotting on the canal. I tried close up to moored barges and all along the near shelf and tight up to a lock; and I used different sizes and coloured dropshot lures as well; however not a touch.

The next time I tried I started to vary the amount of rod tip movements and the speed of my twitching and I also learned that not all takes are as savage as you often get when your spinning with a mepps; and the fish can often just take the drop shot lure without even moving off; and so to look out for the tiny plucks; and I started to get the odd perch.

Im still learning and each time I try drop shotting I seem to improve a little; but I’ve still got a lot to learn as far as drop shotting is concerned.

None of my fishing friends go drop shotting so I’m having to learn all on my own without anyone to tell me what I’m doing wrong, but I’ll get there eventually as long as I keep improving a bit each time that I go drop shotting. 🙂

Keith

Good to here you are improving. I' am going to try again this Friday evening. I could do with some quiet spots on the broads. There are a lot of boats about

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just drifted away, seemed to me that we were just going round in circles, answering the same old how-to questions. That said, I miss the friendships and the odd fish-ins and heartfelt discussions with Jerry Castles for example. Having signed up to the the ancient order of boring old fartdom I now browse vintage and traditional angling face-book groups, remembering when Capta Leads, Intrepid Standards and Model Perfects were must-have gear! 

• Like 1

Nice to see you posting, Peter.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

2 hours ago, Peter Waller said:

I just drifted away, seemed to me that we were just going round in circles, answering the same old how-to questions. That said, I miss the friendships and the odd fish-ins and heartfelt discussions with Jerry Castles for example. Having signed up to the the ancient order of boring old fartdom I now browse vintage and traditional angling face-book groups, remembering when Capta Leads, Intrepid Standards and Model Perfects were must-have gear! 

You forgot Racine torture ,were intrepid standards ever sought after .Saying that when an uncle gave me his when he bought a supreme you couldn't wipe the smile off my face and the plans to use it.

Nice to see you post again ,old farts certainly welcome

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Standards were sought after by atlaest one person, me! When mine finally wore up, to be replaced by a resplendent ABU 505, the bits lay in a box of bits for far too long. Many years later I picked a Standard up at a car boot sale. Then my 'sought after' days really took off and I finally re-discovered E-bay. Finally, from three used and clearly abused old bangers I rebuilt a Standard to factory finish, save for being well run in. Gone was the history and life-defining dings and scrapes but the memories were rekindled, and I have two spare spools and a box of vital spares!  As for the lines of the days, the names 'Luron' and 'Platil'  both ring bells, by today's standards, horrific stuff! Now only 978 pre 1973 rods and I'll catch up with Chesters tally of vintage rods! Actually, using this old crap has brought a new dimension to my angling, seriously. Yesterday it was stunted rudd from a farm pond on a circa 1870's dog's hind leg of a rod. That the surely dried-out tip section did not snap was the cause of some amazement  Now, I just need the hi-viz jacket to complete the image! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...