Chesters1 has Neophilia (carefull!)

No its nothing to do with cold women!

Just bought a soupmaker ,its basically a kettle and a whisk combined but it works better than i thought.

Got it sunday so started playing yesterday .Pretty simple you chuck stuff in it ( food not bolts or other car parts) and soup comes out .Yes pots do the same but my attention span means half the time the soup is baked onto the bottom and arouses wrath from my personal cold woman.

Plenty of recipes out there but most have ingrediants we dont have in the cupboard at the moment .But i needed to try it (my wife dislikes cooking but can fry eggs and bacon so has some use in the kitchen)

Anyway yesterdays efforrt was potato and onion soup ,chucked in 4 cut up strong onions ,no real spuds so used a tin of them ,seasoned it and bunged in an oxo cube .Machine made steamy noises and sudden roaring noises and 19 minutes later a tiny tiny beep was heard (our Echo Flex in the kitchen listens for beep and our Echo show 8 (told you i was a Neophile (sp?)) shouts out "somethings fooking beeping " you cant use the f word Alexa ignores it but 'fooking' sounds ok lol ) unfortunately the tiny beep went unheard by Alexa but the machine keeps the end product warm anyway.

Result .....it was great ,bit watery as i filled it to the max line with plain water but even my cold mrs emptied her bowl and the remaining soup went into the freezer for my lunch in the future.Nice and warming the onions were a little noticable but if you like onions its fine .

Today i chucked in an inch of sundays chicken (meat chopped up into half inch bits) to much rain to go outside for another tin of potatoes so i chucked in a tin of butter beans ,a tin of carrots and two chicken stock cubes and seasoning .I set the beast in action ,usual sounds and those tiny tiny beeps were heard (not by Alexa or my cold woman though) opened it up ,strange orange colour but thicker than yesterdays. I didnt tell mrs about the butter beans she hates them and its not phsycological she made the uuuurrrr !noise and declined it .I bravely took my bowl and whilst it was ok dunking bread in it when it came to spoon action it was uuuurrrr! From me aswell . Not a great loss the cost was less than a tin of real soup . Consigned to toilet for trouts and sickly roach to eat in the sewage outfall if will get disharged from in the excuse its raining .

I will try seeing what canned tomatoes and some other tin of something will come out with tomorrow and keep you informed whether you want to be or not!

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

No need for a machine.

I currently have cream of chicken soup in the fridge that I made from scratch on Saturday.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Celery & Pearl Barley is good in soups.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

“Neophilia you say Lance Corporal, mmmmmm, take two aspirin and come and see me in a month, NEXT!”

• Thanks 1

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

23 hours ago, Ken L said:

No need for a machine.

I currently have cream of chicken soup in the fridge that I made from scratch on Saturday.

Believe me i slightly burned todays and its in the machine lol a pan would have been in the dustbin by now . I chucked a few of last years peppers in and one obviously hid from the blade and sat still enough to stick to the bottom .

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

15 hours ago, Martin56 said:

Celery & Pearl Barley is good in soups.

I will try some but i dont think you can use them directly in the machine (nor our vast quantity of dehydrated tomatoes from our crop last year )

The process from start to finish lasts 19 minutes so neither would soften or rehydrate quick enough .

In the winter i make Scots potato soup using a family recipe but as bones are used its not suitable for a soupmaker (well once perhaps lol) but i may stove make it then use the machine to see what its like in smooth form (i wish there was a 'medium' setting ) then soak the pearl barly and chuck it in in a potfull it will then be smooth but with whole grains

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Todays was 'tomato' soup ,two tins of toms ,some dregs of a packet of freezer burned swede and a couple of chopped sweet peppers from last year ,a stock cube and seasoning .

Pretty tasteless mrs didnt like it so i secretely put in a teaspoon of some chinese ( name to long to bother typing) dried additive for stir fry . Chucked it in and used the extra smooth function to mix it .

Definate improvement it gave a pleasent 'warm' feeling and still had the tomato background ,mrs liked it less! Finished 2 bowls with my still warm extra fiber bread ,the other bowl once cold will go in the freezer .

Its not easy to find a recipe that i have all the ingrediants for ,i see no point in buying ingrediants i will probably use a small amount off then chuck in the composter .Bought a book with 100 recipes but i found only one i could make without ordering in stuff ,got two freezers fulll of veg but the idea was use that not buy more!

Its a shame soupmakers are so small they all hover round the 1.7ltr mark so "batch" cooking asides from a family of mice impossible its just 3 bowls of soup i could eat that in one sitting !

Edited by chesters1

Pearl Barley is great in soup and stews, Mother used to use it a lot to make a rabbit go round all us hungry kids, the rabbit obviously was always poached. 😉😉 so is celery although I cannot abide it raw!

If your cooking time is twenty mins then just pre boil it in water, you should always pre boil pb anyway because it can contain toxins, Mothers rule was cooked for an hour after soaking overnight but food standards have moved on since those days.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

7 hours ago, Huge_Vitae said:

Pearl Barley is great in soup and stews, Mother used to use it a lot to make a rabbit go round all us hungry kids, the rabbit obviously was always poached. 😉😉 so is celery although I cannot abide it raw!

If your cooking time is twenty mins then just pre boil it in water, you should always pre boil pb anyway because it can contain toxins, Mothers rule was cooked for an hour after soaking overnight but food standards have moved on since those days.

Makes an interesting risotto variation too.

It takes forever to cook, though.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

We always used to use Pearl Barley in our Turkey leftover stews after Christmas which we cooked in the pressure cooker.

I didn’t take very long at all to cook in the pressure cooker and it thickened the Turkey Stew nicely and took on the flavours it was cooked in.

Unfortunately we no longer have our pressure cooker, which is a shame as me and our son always looked forward to a good turkey stew after Xmas.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)