Pilchard Oil?

Geoff_Jubb

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

sam-cox:

I think that when an angler catches a fish using bait thats been inpregnated with pilchard oil, he probably would have caught it with normal bait any how.

The simple fact that oil floats meens that as soon as the bait enters the water the oil starts to leave the bait and travel to the surface.

You may well think very wrong then sam. In certain circumstances when targeting certain species bait additives can give you a good advantage - Perhaps its a concentrated smell in the water. Ive seen it done and I have infact done it myself although not in our local competitions because you arent allowed to use bait additives as they are banned. Infact ive seen fish caught on nothing but fish oil - No bait at all.

Carp anglers use adertives with great sucsess, but we are talking about pilchard oil that floats.

how do you keep it on the hook.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Guest jay_con

Have a little think about it sam - Dont be so rigid in your thinking. Many ways of keeping something on the hook and to make it release quite slow, Them little sponge ear plugs are one of several methods ive seen utilised. I arent necasserily talking pilchard oil but ive seen other fish oils used to great advantage and even wd40.

The topic is pilchard oil, wich does undoutably float.

I have just run an little experiment in my large fish tank at home.

I have soaked some cotten wool in pilchard oil, then tyed it to a lead and dropped it to the bottom of my tank.

A/ bass showed no interest.

B/ it all floated to the surface.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Oh come on Summer, Im not claiming to know best, but pilchard oil does float does it not?, or does it just float im my fish tank?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Guest jay_con

Dont wish to get in to an argument sam. Just trying to help you a little. Ive seen float fished makeral belly strip marinated in pilchard oil be far more successful than makeral belly strip alone (at certain times). Perhaps its the oil floating to the top that makes the makeral aware of the wounded sprat struggling below (wounded sprat being the belly flap of the makeral).

Just a point of interest, As a keen Carper for many years, fish oils have proved themselves time & time again as top notch attractors, not just as a scent but also as a food source.

Think about Halibut pellets, High oil Trout feeds & pure Salmon oil (probably the best oil of all).

The oils all float as well, I've had some right slicks going at times :D .

The fact that a certain amount of the oil leaches out & travels up the water column is a big plus.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Just a point of interest, As a keen Carper for many years, fish oils have proved themselves time & time again as top notch attractors, not just as a scent but also as a food source.

Think about Halibut pellets, High oil Trout feeds & pure Salmon oil (probably the best oil of all).

The oils all float as well, I've had some right slicks going at times :D .

The fact that a certain amount of the oil leaches out & travels up the water column is a big plus.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.