Pilchard Oil?

Geoff_Jubb

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who are you calling young man man, Im 32 and Ive read that you have a student loan so I gess you are a tad younger than myself.

Also who says young man? are you a secret friend of dorathys?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Guest NickInTheNorth

The thing about oil is that yes, it does float, which means that it leaves the immediate area of the bait, and creates a scent trail. Given that the sea is rarely totally still that scent travels away from the bait, slowly spreading downtide, and rising to the surface.

The end result of this tendency to move a away from the bait is that a scent trail is created through the water column and downtide. Any fish that feeds on fish is likely to follow the scent trail if feeding, and may ultimately take the bait that has been dunked in the pilchard (or whatever) oil.

Theres a lot more to oil than the stuff that floats. Try mixing some oil and water together and give it a good shake. Leave it to settle and then look at the colour of the water. The water will be cloudy and it will most definitely smell impure. The oil has definitely left residue behind.

So oil floats. That doesn't mean it hasn't left a residual odour behind on the bait. Heres a good example of what I mean.

I use aniseed oil for Pike baits. Even after the bait has been left soaking for hours, the bait still smells like a sweet shop, even though there is no apparent traces of the oil leftover.

If I (a mere human) can smell it, a fish can definitely smell it.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

yes fair enough, but the sent comming out from the oil isnt oil.

Far better to leave your rubby dubby as just fresh fish without any old pilchard oil added.

Fresh oily fish have enough oils and blood thats fresh and would smell natural.

How often does a fish smell pilchard oil that years old.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

It's an important ingredient in making a good rubby dubby - results in my experience show that.

Sam - those of us that think it's a good thing will carry on using it - you and those that don't can carry on not using it, fair?.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Hiya,

I was gonna make a comment, but given what has kicked off over on TSF.. I'll keep quiet on the virtues of pilchard oil :rolleyes::rolleyes:

after all I know feck all about anything.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

i think "oils" do make a diffrence to catches

a freind of mine fishes the fortnightly flounder matches on the south bank of the humber on cleethorpes prom (jon acko and geoff voley)

they experimented for months with various mixes and they finally settled on a certain mix and used it in the matches by simply marinating worm baits in this oil.

they ended up taking the matches apart winning most of them and if not finishing in the top 3.

jon dicided not to use the oil for a few matches an he noticed a drastic drop in his success rate (still doing well in the matches but not so consistant)

he then went back to the oil and started doing as well as he did before.....

gotta be something in it?

macky

[ 30. August 2005, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: macky ]