ABU 6600c3 LD(worst ABU reel ever??)

Happy Dude

I had a 6600,but should point out that it wasnt the LD, and to be honest the only thing that went was the clicker , it still cast well, and did the job,but I got the feeling it is built for freshwater and not salt, thats why I got it repaired and got rid.....

[ 17. August 2004, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll agree - 6600 LD is ABU's worst ever reel - I am on my second one just now, and that has broke down earlier this year a couple of months after the first broke down, and they replaced.

Was so excited about this reel, but it is a total let down. :(

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

I have a 6600LD. Contrary to popular belief, the spool does NOT run on ball bearings, but bronze bushes. I had to get a replacement spool as it was warped when I got it. The dealer tried to find one in his stock as a quick fix measure and 2 of 3 he had in stock were warped!!

The drag goes from 'off' to 'on' with about 4 clicks movement, why bother having all that range of lever movement if 3/4 of it is wasted? If I tighten the 'end float knob' (yes I know it's for the drag) to get a decent range on the lever then free spool doesn't really become free.

Recently it has started the 'not engaging/ jumping out of gear' trick described above, but it's lived on my boat all summer so I can't complain about that one. At least the drag is reasonably smooth and consistent once set, but it's so easy to move the lever too far when you don't want to.

I would get a Penn 975LD, but I don't do levelwinds (they stop me gripping the spool to break out of wrecks) and it has the same crappy pushbuttom free spool as a normal ABU does that lets water into the sideplate.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

toerag,

did you manage to stop your reel jumping out of gear?

anyone know why it is doing this because i have stripped the reel and cleaned and oiled it, slackened, tightened the drag, its ok for a couple of drops then .....dunk...dunk...dunk and won't engage

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

posted by jabee

quote:

Try Ian Rose (AKA The Reel Doctor) at Seashore Tackle in Paignton - tel 01803 529953. The guy knows all there is to know about fishing ree
do you know if this chaps dad is Jeff rose who once worked for Intrepid???? :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i just dug mine out my tackle box and its shagged, can't get it to engage spool at all, handle just spins around, what a waste of money

funny because when it was working i thought it was a great reel,

i'll stick to regular 6500's instead, i just found a REALLY old 6500c synchro in the cupboard, its manky, salty and needs line on it, i run it under the tap and hey presto, it works just a bit of oiling and it should be good as new, can't improve on the older design, simple is best??

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Guest sslatter

chesters1:

no the worst abu is the premier 704     :(    or is it 740 anyway a cheap and nasty closed face

yes i know its not a sea reel but it IS the worst ABU

Yes, it does feel cheap and nasty compared to the 50 series..

..but what about the 601/601M? Absolutely horrible and plastic..

[ 09. September 2004, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]