Skate Fishing

Norrie

:D:D Nice post Davy. LOL

Looking forward to more skate fishing in August, and now have a parcel of skate tags to use up.

Another couple of tips Norrie - let Ronnie bait up for you until you have sussed how its done, and let Ronnie decide who drops down when, and from where. After a trip or three in different conditions, you'll realise Ronnie is reading wind and tide and determining the order of drop downs so as to minimise the risk of lines getting tangled. Difficult to explain on paper, but pretty obvious if you watch what is going on in the boat.

Good luck!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya,

Ok some more tips:

dont eat yellow snow. :D:D:D

let your bait down slowly, it helps avoid tangles, remember there will be over 2400' of line to knit with :(

if you follow Ronnie's instructions you'll be fine, the one's that don't spend the best part of the day taking out tangles.

If you are lucky enough to get a run, tighten in to it quickly, don't bother striking, just wind the rod down like mad till you cant then lift into the fish. the weight of the fish will set the hook with ease.

And just to get you going... there was around 40 Commons taken over the weekend with a few of them over the 200lb mark, Ronnie had 10 on Friday.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hiya,

quote:

Originally posted by Alan Taylor:

It sounds like fun and am looking forward to reading all about it. Shame its too far for me to travel with all the expense involved. :(

Alan(nl)[/QB]

Erm Alan there is space on my boat most weekends, as it is run a private boat I dont charge.. so you can get a full weekends fishing for sod all, providing you can get to either Glasgow, then drive up with me or get direct to Lochaline.

same goes for anyone else that wants to do some tagging.

:):)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Elton:

Those things are bloody enormous! Are they 'tame' once they're in the boat?

Tight lines,

Elton

I told Sonja I was thinking of going and got the all clear. When she saw what I might catch she hit the roof, "your not bringing that bloody thing in my kitchen", she calmed down a bit when I told her any fish like that would be tagged and returned as they would not allow them on the plane without a ticket :D , she now thinks I am saving money not having to buy another ticket :D

Davy, you have post.

Alan( :cool: nl :cool: )

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Davy Holt:

Hiya,

Alan... you've got mail   :D

Davy, I read your mail last night and could not sleep. I keep on pinching myself, why is it that after years of sea fishing I still get a buzz out of planning a fishing trip?

Last year I went to Gurnsey after my first ever sizeable Bass and had a great time even though I never caught a Bass a couple of Turbot put some icing on the cake.

This takes me back, on standby, bag packed and by the door, just waiting for the call. At least I know the final destination.

Sorry to ramble you guys, a bit like a kid on xmas eve.

Alan(nl) :cool:

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan, I hope you have a good trip and a skate or three.

My boatpartner has just been on the phone - he has had a couple of trips out with Ronnie, and got two skate - 150 and 181 lbs on one trip. On the second trip 16 skate came into the boat for a total of over 1500 lbs!!!.

Whilst all this was going on Donald (Ronnie's partner) had a skate of 215 in the other boat.

Apparently Ronnie has not had a blank day out since Christmas.

He has booked Norma and I a couple of trips with Ronnie at the end of August. Norma has had a skate or two, but is itching to break 100 for the first time.

Davy - I know it sounds greedy, but any chance of a trip around the weekend 24/5 August? - I've got all these tags to use up........... Even if not, we are in the area and would drop by Lochaline just to say "Hello" and have a chat about skate.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for ALL of your advice, I didn't realise the STIR I would cause with my query. There is definately a lot to learn about Skate. :D I cant wait to go on my first trip. As a wee thankyou to your most welcome replies,if there is anything I can do for you, let me know. Bearing in mind I/WE have a hut in Buckhaven in Fife, and would love to show you some fishing on the East Coast. My boat is still being repaired but should be ready this Summer. It's only a wee boat tho' inshore stuff etc...

Again, Thankyou all once again... :D:D

PS if there is anyone in Oban on the 4th of June , please come down and introduce yourself....

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/