What's your SMALLEST UK sea fish?

A Norfolk Boy

I have foul hooked little shrimps and a flatfish the size of a finger nail.

Properly hooked I've had pout and whiting about 3" long and cod about 4" long. All on hooks bigger than size 1 and some on up to 6/0. Now there's real skill. Probably many other micro specimens but can't recall them as I was probably too worn out doing battle with them.

Now if I were to actually target small fish, I reckon I could do really well.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norfolk Boy:

I have foul hooked little shrimps and a flatfish the size of a finger nail.

Properly hooked I've had pout and whiting about 3" long and cod about 4" long. All on hooks bigger than size 1 and some on up to 6/0. Now there's real skill. Probably many other micro specimens but can't recall them as I was probably too worn out doing battle with them.

Now if I were to actually target small fish, I reckon I could do really well.

:cool: Perhaps we could get the BRFC to sponsor a record smallest fish, this would make sense as the fish are getting smaller and big fish rarer and need to be conserved as breeding stock. My smallest fairley caught fish is a toss up between a gobi and a smelt, both targeted, both fairly caught but much, much smaller than expected. :D

A tiny little whiting foul hooked on a size 4/0 through the tail dont ask me how it managed it, didnt even know it was on till I reel'd in to rebait, maybe should of left it on and used it as bait!!

Properly hooked was the smallest little flounder I ever did see taken on dirty great lug&squid bait meant for cod on a 4/0 pennel bloody hook was bigger than its head, big baits dont garentee big fish.

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC

I was lucky enough to be present when Donovan Kelly and my farther caught the first recorded O group bass while netting the upper reaches of the Camel in north Cornwall. But I supose that dont count.

A 2 inch sand smelt on a size 10 hook on bead while mulleting. Dabs so small you can see through them, about the size of a 50p.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!