Weather Forecast

Gillies

I'm wondering does anyone know good web sites for providing regional weather forecasts, about 5 days ahead etc? that give us boat/beach anglers the all important wind speed and direction.

Usually I use the BBC 5 day forecast one, but it's far from accurate.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Gillies:

but it's far from accurate.

Now that's the biggest understatement yet :D:D

Your more accurate sticking yer head out the door and predicting it yourself :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

try pine cones .com

or read every weather report and try and meet in the middle with them......

seriously though its the 21st century and they cant seem to get the next 24 hrs right

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Hiya,

It says it all when the Coast Guard ask you what the weather conditions are in your area, just after they have gave out the 24hr Forecast for your area. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I don’t even bother looking at the forecasts prior to a trip now, I just keep an eye on conditions and act accordingly. :):)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Seems a pretty detailed site, wonder how it will do for the unpredictable Hebridean weather !!!!

Last Saturday I was supposed to go out in a small 16 foot boat for a days fishing - on the Friday the BBC were giving a bright sun and a 5 mph South Easterly. However on Saturday morning we had a 30 mph Easterly and pouring rain, so no fishing !!!!

I was kind of glad though - I had a wee bit to much of the old whisky the night before to face a day at sea

Gillies

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Gillies???

Accurate weather forecasts haven`t been invented more than 36hrs in advance. Sometimes even these short range forecasts get turned on their head.

I.E. Local coastgaurd weather information broadcast to skippers on 27/3/03 at 14.00hrs for the Portland area. Winds 5-6 increasing 7!!! I was booked on a trip the next day out of Weymouth, phoned the skipper who said the trip was `blown out`. I went to the satelite charts and told Colin Penny that the weather report was bogus. That the winds would drop like a stone overnight!

I`d already booked accomodation at Weymouth so drove down anyway. Half the fleet had already left!! The remainder of the skippers that had `blown out` their trips were fuming? And this was from a 24hr coastgard weather report.

When the fleet came back that evening. What winds? was the concensus, `No more than a 3 or 4`.

If the coastgards can`t get it right for 24hrs forecasts, how can you reasonably expect a 5day forecast to be accurate?

Such forecasts can only be relied on in long periods of high pressure over the UK.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Some great weather sites there, think I'll take snap shot images of each sites forecast, and see how the weather actually is on that day compared to the 1,2,3,4,5 day before forecast!!!

It's so frustrating at this time of year to try and get a good forecast, and when you psych yourself up for a days fishing only to have the trip blown off, or "think" due to forecasts it will be blown off.

I was going to fish a competition in Arbroath in the summer, but pulled out - my friends made the trip from the Isle of Lewis over there, only to find out it was cancelled due to the weather forecast, but on the day the weather had dropped and it was a lovely day and sea state. Of course they were devistated at the fact that they spent the day in the pub instead !!!

Agree with Paul, it seems forecasts can only really be pretty much depended on during periods of high pressure - such as in the summer months.

I see this week the BBC 5 day forecast pages on the web have had a face lift, may look pretty impressive - but the content is I could alledge just gobbelygook.

Gillies :D

www.gilliesmackenzie.com