over fishing

Guest jay_con

Guest jay_con

Anyone any ideas about how to make the government act to stop (alleged) illegal overfishing for cod in the north sea

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello summer.

Scroll back a few pages and look at Leons postings?

Then start posting to your local MP, euro MP and all the ministries involved?

Sorry. But until everyone does the same, they`ll think we don`t care?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Guest jay_con

I passed evidence to DEFRA They have done nothing,I wrote to David bowe mep who said he knew all about black fish landings but has done nothing to stop them, I spoke direct to europe they said it was nothing to do with them and suggested i contact defra. I spoke to nfsa, they are only interested in bass fishing down south, David rowe does not return phone calls. IU spoke to world wildlife fund, they cant get involved with law enforcement. Greenpeace did not get back to me. I spoke to fisheries forum mep in lancashire he pretended to be interested.

So guys guess what, no one is interested even if you present them with good (alleged ) information. so it looks like the writing is on the wall. Those codling you caught last winter may be the last youll ever see because the pair trawlers will have finished off the remainder by autumn and no body cares less even if they do that illegally ( allegedly).

winter:

I spoke to nfsa, they are only interested in bass fishing down south, David rowe does not return phone calls. .

Next time (if you bother) you speak to the NFSA you might mention that the wreck netters are having a field day on the N.Sea wrecks, not only have they been wiping out the Cod and few remaining Pollock (what I refer to as sea anglers bread and butter fish)but they are getting a lot of mature BASS with healthy ROES in them.

2 weeks ago 2 different charter boats out of Maassluis had 16 and 19 mature BASS in just 1 drift each before the engines scared them off. One boat was in the English sector of the N.sea.

I hate to say it but I have found over the last couple of years (as you have just found out) that if it is not BASS or Dolphins no one is interested :mad:

Even the trawler owners/skippers have not clicked that if the Cod are not allowed to breed then there will be very little next generation Cod to catch.

I might also add that if a monno net is lost on a wreck it will continue to catch for years. A lost net with rotting fish in it will be pulled down by crabs until the food source is eaten up, it will then re-float to a certain extent and continue the process. Eventually the net will get so tangled in the wreck and filled with trapped crabs and lobsters that it will only entangle tiny fish. etc etc.

I have spoken with Fischler in Brussels and was told that they were looking into the situation, who THEY were I have no idea and have heard nothing since (2 years).

You could write to Norman Berry, the editor of Sea Angling News, he listens to anglers and is not shy when it comes to printing there letters on the conservation of our fish stocks. At least he is genuinly interested as he is firstly an angler then a publisher :)

Good luck to you and please let us know if you get any where :)

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Two ways, both of which won't guarantee any success.

Join the NFSA and let them know exactly why you're joining (i.e. not because you want to be a match fisherman, but because you want to be a fisherman 20 years from now). Secondly, write to your local MP and demand he discusses the issue with the minister or shadow minister responsible for fisheries. I've written to Oliver Letwin a couple of times and he's always written courteous replies even though he appears to think there isn't a problem. Persisten will pay off in the end I hope.

keep on shouting write to local newspapers etc ; eventually they will listen ,remember leisure anglers have alot of poke financially we just havent used this to our advantage yet !

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Guest jay_con

my local Mp is up the ar-- of the local trawler men, he wants us out of europe. I am a member of nfsa. and I am not campaigning for conservation I am reporting alleged ILLEGAL activities which are aknowledged as happening by my local MEP< by this I mean Black fish in huge qauntiuties eg one years quota in one day allegedly by one pair team. Also 4000 stone in a net dragged into harbour because the lifting gear wont lift it onto the boat. This is a much bigger issue than conservation and needs addressing now

Guest jay_con

oh yeh and I also contact sea angler. It appears they arent interested unless your name is roger bayzance and you catch bass in the ar--ing english channel