Do you look after your kit?????????

RUDD

Ever since I can remember I have taken all my reels apart and serviced them once a year.

I clean the grease out of the main gear housing and replace it with nice clean stuff.

I oil the shaft, handle, bail arm parts etc.

Then put them back together.

Just remember to do this inside some sort of container and try to remember what goes where and how!

At the end of any session any reel I have used is cleaned of dirt, groundbait etc with a cloth and an old toothbrush then given a spray of wd40.

Then wipe the wd40 off.

All of my reels are in tip top condition.

My poles and rods are given a wipe when I get home after a session, regardless of the weather conditions.

All are checked for damage and the damage fixed.

Once a year I put carbon build up on the pole joints to stop them coming loose and to add a bit of strength.

One thing to check on your rods is the varnish near the eyes. If water gets in it will weaken the whipping/varnish.

Any cork on the rods is given a good clean once a year, I have not had to give any a light sand down yet.

Landing net handles are also checked for damage and given a wipe.

All nets are hung up to dry.

Any wet items are left out to dry.

Stiching on clothing is checked and fixed (6lb double stiched mono does wonders on ripped seams!!!) Dirt is wiped off.

Tackle boxes are sorted out and tidied up.

Everything is put back in its place, next session I know what I need is there in place and I note down items I am short on for the next visit to the tackle shop.

I even clean out and wipe bait boxes!!!!!!

My kit has never let me down during a match, pleasure session, carp or sea session.

(I have broken things by accident and being clumsey).

At the end of the day if you look after your kit it should not let you down.

Most of us cannot afford new BIG items of tackle every year.

A little effort goes a long way.

How do the rest of you treat your gear?

I do know anglers who chuck it in the shed and wonder why thins dont work, break or get covered in mildew mould!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I clean rods and reels when they are quite dirty and service any reels I use at the sea. This means stuff is cleaned about once every year or two.

The missus mends my clothes!

I do the same as Rudd but in my carp and pike tackle, reels, rods, holdall and clothing. :)

It's pays to look after your tackle and it will last for years to come. :):):)

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

i chuck it in the shed, thats if i ever bother taking it out of the back of the car. it always works cos i buy decent stuff in the first place!

just found a mouldy tub of pellets and another of tiger nuts today, cant even remember the last time i used them! rods and reels still in tip top condition though, despite not being cleaned ever

jeepster:

i chuck it in the shed, thats if i ever bother taking it out of the back of the car. it always works cos i buy decent stuff in the first place!

just found a mouldy tub of pellets and another of tiger nuts today, cant even remember the last time i used them! rods and reels still in tip top condition though, despite not being cleaned ever

Jeepster, shame on you.

The majority of my gear is decent stuff.

It is a habit that I picked up when I was a lad.

Ryobi Lx02 reel, sundridge 'scorpio' 12 foot glass

match rod (with all metal eyes and screw in tip)

Cantilever box with very few packs os sundridge dippa range floats weights and hooks.

Family were not to well off in those days so I had to look after me gear.

Also having a neat tackle box I knew if some bugger had nicked anything!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

i really dont understand this idea that its shameful to not have clean fishing tackle, or taking pride in your tackle involves keeping it clean, as i said in a previous thread, i service things regularly, and keep them in good mechanical shape, that doesnt however involve wiping rods down and cleaning reels with a toothbrush, if people want to do that fine, you obviously have too much time on you hands!

jeepster:

i really dont understand this idea that its shameful to not have clean fishing tackle, or taking pride in your tackle involves keeping it clean, as i said in a previous thread, i service things regularly, and keep them in good mechanical shape, that doesnt however involve wiping rods down and cleaning reels with a toothbrush, if people want to do that fine, you obviously have too much time on you hands!

Not to much time on my hands Jeepster, just dont get out much these days!!!!!!!!!

Not having a pop at you at all.

As long as you are happy with the state of your kit its up to you how many times you clean it or give your reels a service.

I bet there are a few who have had a reel pack up on them at a critical moment or only have one with them and it breaks when they are miles down the river.

I do not clean my gear to make it look good.

I clean it to make it last and always have done.

PS the toothbrush is used to get groundbait out of tricky bits on a reel where a cloth or my stumpy fat fingers cant fit!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Make sure the nets are REALLY dry before you put them away !

1) Good rinse in the lake or river while packing up

2) Rinse again in fresh water at home

3) leave out in the sun untill bone dry

then you can put them away without worrying about smell!

Mat