End of the Tope?

Ian Burrett

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is Dale, is that organisations such as the Boatmens Organisation etc have so many other issues to deal with they are not nearly so effective as a band of anglers enthusiastically dedicated to the cause of a single species.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

ian on another commercial slagging thread you raised the point that there was a witch hunt against commercials on this site and you were in favour of sustainable commercial activity.

why the sudden change of heart,do you know this potential fishery wont be sustainable.

no offence meant but i feel its a valid point.

Hiya,

Any fishery directed at Apex predators has the potential to be unsustainable and most likely will be. The track record on this type of fishery is a "Boom or Bust" scenario, great fishing for the start of the fishery falling dramatically away very quickly.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

maximo:

ian on another commercial slagging thread you raised the point that there was a witch hunt against commercials on this site and you were in favour of sustainable commercial activity.

why the sudden change of heart,do you know this potential fishery wont be sustainable.

no offence meant but i feel its a valid point.

Maximo

Read my thread again. I witnesed the spur dog go from pest to nothing in 5 years. The same lomgliners finished off the common skate up the west of Britain. Why will this be any different?

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Ian sorry mate i didnt see your post before putting mine up, i was so eager to let every one know of this crazy short sighted plan.

this will end all tope fishing within 3 years.

we need to stop this, maybe contact charter skippers that target tope like JOHN RAWLE AND TERRY BATT from bradwell as they both earn their living from tope angling. they also employ a commercial fisherman to run their boats when they are to bizy, i feel this should also stop as he may well be targeting tope to sell now that these people have established a market.

the skippers phone numbers are in all monthly sea angling magazines so get calling.these skippers have good reputation for catching tope so should be worried.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Sounds like very bad news for the Tope, followed by any or shark species that can be used in that market once it is established. :(

Halibut is another apex predator you can add to the list of those that could not withstand directed longlining.

I've not seen the FN this week ;anyone got any more detail from the FN article?

Chris.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

leon wrote, What anglers have to realise is that as fishing opportunities decline, because of decreasing quotas, and increasing closed areas, commercials will be pushed more and more onto other species and in other areas than those that have traditionally

provided them with profits.

I dont quite agree there leon, if this is the mentality of some commercials then i hope these are pushed out of all types of fishing altogether:)

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

we only ever see baby tope of a couple of pounds off our beaches but the strength in them even at that size takes some beleiving,so i can see why they are highly sought after by anglers.

but once these greedy b******s turn their attentions to them youve got to fear for them.

good luck in trying to get something done about it.

is there such a thing as sustainable commercial fishing as sometimes you have to wonder.