playing fish

The Flying Tench

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that a fish will try to pull in the opposite direction to any force the angler applies, and as you don't really want the fish to dive to reach obstacles, side pressure (rod low) was preferable?

Geoff

I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that a fish will try to pull in the opposite direction to any force the angler applies, and as you don't really want the fish to dive to reach obstacles, side pressure (rod low) was preferable?

I've had fish swim straight towards my rod tip as I put presure on many many times. They don't always swim away from pressure often the opposite.

John is that a serious question? :) Surely you have caught and played enough fish to know that you apply the force in any direction you need to. This may be up/sideways/tip under the water/back up again/sideways/back up etc etc etc. Any which way as Clint used to say :)

The only real must, is to keep a good angle so the rod can bend.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

This may sound a bit unorthodox.I totally accept that changing the angle /position of the rod in relation to the fish makes a big difference when playing the fish.Only problem is it also weakens the hook hold.In situations where you are having to constantly swop from an up right position (to bring the fish up) to a horizontal one to apply side strain, the hook hold can and often is seriously compromised during a prolonged fight.Admittedly this normally occurs when a bigger than expected fish is hooked.

Due to this I only change the angle of the rod (ie from a vertical plane to a horizontal one when absolutely necessary.Or of course vice versa as in some situations I play the fish with the rod in a horizontal plane most of the fight.The frequent changing being the cause of the problem rather than either of the planes.

Another thing that very much affects the rods action on the fish is the angle at which the rod is held/bent into the fish whilst playing (this is the same in either plane) a lesser angle to the line and only the tip section is used.This Ive found causes a lot of "kiting" if the fish is at any distance.I prefer to hold the rod (but I do use much softer,through actioned rods than are popular for most jobs) at a much greater angle to the fish ie lower if in the vertical plane or pointing more to the fish in the horizontal.This brings the more powerfull middle section of the soft rods I use into play and if the fish is at range helps reduce kiting.

I do though raise the rod at the net so the tip cushions any final lunges and I can lift the fish in the water.

Biggest mistakes (IMO) that I see even very sucsessfull anglers make when playing big fish are that they are normally using to powerfull a rod and simply not pulling hard emnough! May sound like a contradiction so I will try and explain!

It is extremly difficult to apply more than 11bs or so pressure with ANY rod using it in a conventional way ie one hand on the rod (the but tucked in toi stomach or thigh) and the other hand on the reel Therefore other than the need tp chuck a heavy bait/lead powerfull rods are a hinderance ir their power only causes hook pulls when the FISH pulls against the force of angler and rod.A softer rod can still put on the same maximum of pressure (if held at the right angle) but its generally more forgiving action allows more of a cushioning effect when the fish pulls.

If my "theories" arnt right then could some one explain why 100lb catfish are landed using 4lb through action rods in under 8 minutes while fights of 45min plus are the norm on the up tide/sea boat rods often used?

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Any way you like, as long as you don't use that utterly poncey way beloved by anglers on telly, who inexplicably support the rod a foot or so above the butt with two fingers.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

For preferece, I play fish with the rod held vertically. This keeps the line off the water and minimises both weed hangups and a big bow of line in the water that fish (especially fast salties) can use to apply excess pressure to the hookhold.

If I need to use side strain to steer a fish away from something, I do but the rod remains at pretty much the same 90 degree (ish) angle to the fish as if it were vertical.

The 90 degree angle maximises the effective drag setting but also maximises the cusioning effect of the rod.

If I hook a big fish close in, I often want it to head out into clear water to avoid having a big green fish diving for every snag along the inside bank. To encourage this, I simply lower the angle of the rod, pointing it more towards the fish and without needing to touch the reel, I'll have lowered the effective drag so that it can scoot off to be played out in the clear. When doing this, you obviously have less cusioning from the rod.

The stuff that I could never understand is people who reach up onto the blank or who play fish with the rod tip in the water (unless they're boat fishing) or in the case of pole anglers, with the pole layed on the water. All seem to ne to be a recipie for disaster.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Any way you like, as long as you don't use that utterly poncey way beloved by anglers on telly, who inexplicably support the rod a foot or so above the butt with two fingers.

:D Its regarded as a safe way of putting extra pressure on a fish (especially when lifting it in the water) as any sudden lunges can be countered/allowed by just removing the support of the fingers! But is it "poncey" or indeed even necessary? I dont really know to be honest! Bit like the kneeling down thing to play/land fish,supposedly to stop them seeing you and spooking at the net but who knows?! Now that looks really poncey!! :rolleyes:

PlayingClaydonCat.jpg

Fat poof!

:D Its regarded as a safe way of putting extra pressure on a fish (especially when lifting it in the water) as any sudden lunges can be countered/allowed by just removing the support of the fingers! But is it "poncey" or indeed even necessary? I dont really know to be honest! Bit like the kneeling down thing to play/land fish,supposedly to stop them seeing you and spooking at the net but who knows?! Now that looks really poncey!! :rolleyes:

PlayingClaydonCat.jpg

Fat poof!

WOW..look at that style!, not only do you have to wear the right clothing now but you have to throw down the right shapes to impress those around you who are blanking!

Quality

TBH I usually play a fish in whatever way feels comfortable/works...sometimes you just have to stop fish in way you can (river fishing near snags etc).

WOW..look at that style!, not only do you have to wear the right clothing now but you have to throw down the right shapes to impress those around you who are blanking!

Quality

I was far more limber in my younger days Neil.Would be worried about getting back up again now! :D