What's the best river in England?

fruitloopy

I've never had much luck with rivers but I really would like to enjoy them more. I live in Peterborough so all I have locally is the Nene and I have had nothing other than Perch and a couple of Dace from here.

If I was to up sticks and move to some other part of the country what river would be best? Specifically I would love to catch Barbel and Chub but I dont mind a sprinkling of Carp, Perch and Roach as well.

Whenever I watch fishing programs on TV they are always roving around the Avon, Kennet, Severn and the Wensum. No-one ever fishes the bloody Nene!

So what in your opinion is the best river to live nearby?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want a great experience i would head for the hampshire avon for the weekend probably the royalty. OK i have blanked alot but that is because i had not had much expereince with such fast moving water. Honestly compared to the Nene its like a living monster. i would love to go more often and really try to get to grips with it. its not too far from you to take a few days off and give it a try.

have a look here

http://www.royaltyfishery.com/

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Avon for me, not because it's got the best fishing in the UK (still15/16lb barbel on offer) but because it's nice and close to where I live (5/10min walk)

Got to fish the Kennet and Hampsire Avon, have heard nothing but good things about those rivers as far as pike fishing goes

Edited by Neil G

For me it's the Severn. It has everything from fast shallows that can be fished with a dry fly or trotted for dace to deep slow canalised sections holding specimen sized barbel, zander and others.

The truth is though that for most people, the best river in the country is their local one. Even for people who do a lot of travelling to fish, the depth of knowledge that they have about their local waters usually means that they have a special place in their hears for the water where they learned the art of river fishing and where they can apply their hard earned skills to catch fish when other might blank.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

If i was to move anywhere in the country, i'm sure i'd move nearer to the chalk streams of southern england.

Probably Wiltshire or Hampshire. The first time I went down to Salisbury I was amazed at how different the Avon was to local rivers I usually fish.

Instead of high banks and brownish waters, I could walk along the bank almost at river level and the water was clear but had a turquoise tinge.

I fished down at Britford, just trotting with maggots, and although I didnt catch anything that I haven't before ( average sized dace, perch and grayling) I was blown away by what I could see in the fast waters. I saw pike holding in the fast current as well as big chub and a shoal of hugh perch waiting in the slacks.

I don't have enough experience to say what the best river in the country is, but these things made the Avon the most magical fishing experience for me and i'd recommend any fisherman to have a day on a part of this river.

Give it a go!

For me it's the Severn. It has everything from fast shallows that can be fished with a dry fly or trotted for dace to deep slow canalised sections holding specimen sized barbel, zander and others.

The truth is though that for most people, the best river in the country is their local one. Even for people who do a lot of travelling to fish, the depth of knowledge that they have about their local waters usually means that they have a special place in their hears for the water where they learned the art of river fishing and where they can apply their hard earned skills to catch fish when other might blank.

Being a Barbel lover I have always loved the generally clearer waters of the Kennet, Avon and Stour, but in recent years I have come to love the streamy upper river Lea, the river Ivel and the Upper Great Ouse all of which are much closer to where I live.

I think it's because they are on my doorstep and I have got more intimate with these streams and now know their moods better.

But I still love the Kennet Avon and Stour.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

When I was a boy, my uncle and aunt lived in a house near Ironbridge with the Severn at the bottom of the garden. I used to get a week or so in the summer holidays most years. There's probably some nostalgia going on, but I think that was my favourite river fishing. The river there is fairly shallow, very fast, clear, stuffed with barbel, chub and dace.

They moved house and rented that one out, and eventually sold it. I wish they hadn't, I'd have happily bought it now.

severn.jpg

It’s a good question, although difficult to answer because it’s so subjective, and like Ken L says, ones favourite river is usually that which one fishes the most. I’d say rivers are like shops, and you can’t sensibly ask which is the best shop in the country, because it all depends what you’re looking to buy.

The Hampshire Avon is like Fortnum and Mason- fabulous treats within, expensive and exotic, much of it beyond my means. But it’s a truly magical experience just walking through that glorious Food Hall! The lovely little Frome is like Waitrose, with fine quality items within reach, and good friendly value. The Dorset Stour is like Marks and Spencer- its reputation for quality is well earned, but sometimes it gets rather crowded (at Throop, especially). Just like most people have a preference for and loyalty to the supermarket they usually visit, they have similar disposition towards the river they tend to fish.

If I had to choose somewhere to live next to any river in England, it would be by the middle Hampshire Avon. That magical place gets into the very core of you.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Nice reply Mike!

I think you're going to get a list of everyone's favourite rivers (not that there's anything wrong with that). Of the rivers I have knowledge of, I'd rate the Thames as easily the 'best' - but it's extremely long and varied, so no surprises there. I'd put good money on there being new records for a whole host of species casually swimming in the Thames. For much of its length, it's completely unfished.

My favourites are the little tributaries though.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music