Bait aprons/pouches

Stretpegger

Saturday night while sorting out my gear for the Timsbury Fish-in i picked up my bait apron from the shed only to find that it fell to pieces.No doubt due that in my carelessness i had packed it away damp and still containing the odd remnant of bait which the local mice population had greatly appreciated!

As a result yesterday i had to constantly bend down to my maggot box perched awkwardly on top of my shoulder bag when wanting to introduce loose feed which i found annoying and inefficient.My old bait apron was a cloth market traders style money pouch that i had aquired years ago.Looking in two local tackle shops this morning it appears that they are hard to find these days.In fact i got very similiar response from both shops, along the lines of we dont do them anymore as there are no float anglers left on the rivers!

Anyone know if such items are still available or even still manfactured? Im talking about proper match angler bait aprons here not the cloth money pouches

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stretpegger, the only one I could find in local shops and flea-bay was the Daiwa one, all logo'd up and with a re-inforcing bar around the pocket lip.

It's on my Christmas list but not sure how good it'll be, I can imaging bait falling out if you lean over too far. Essential bit of kit though, can't wade without one and if it's got a covering flap maybe maggots will stay dry and not escape.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thanks for the help chaps, good old Daiwa at least they still cater for us simple maggot drowners!

PS Nice to meet you yesterday Rusty, if by any chance you do get down to the Whitehouse stretch let us know how you get on.The odd snippet of information that comes my way suggests it could hold a few surprises, and its definitely on my places to visit list after christmas.

PPS Nice result yesterday from the fast carrier Steve that was quite clearly grayling central! Trust me to go straight from the main river to the slow carrier without even wetting a line there!

Saturday night while sorting out my gear for the Timsbury Fish-in i picked up my bait apron from the shed only to find that it fell to pieces.No doubt due that in my carelessness i had packed it away damp and still containing the odd remnant of bait which the local mice population had greatly appreciated!

As a result yesterday i had to constantly bend down to my maggot box perched awkwardly on top of my shoulder bag when wanting to introduce loose feed which i found annoying and inefficient.My old bait apron was a cloth market traders style money pouch that i had aquired years ago.Looking in two local tackle shops this morning it appears that they are hard to find these days.In fact i got very similiar response from both shops, along the lines of we dont do them anymore as there are no float anglers left on the rivers!

Anyone know if such items are still available or even still manfactured? Im talking about proper match angler bait aprons here not the cloth money pouches

Hi there are a few advertised on ebay. just type in bait apron and you will see. tite lines Dan

I'm also after an apron or pouch, the bagged maggots in coat pocket works at a pinch, but is far from ideal! I've found the SHAKESPEARE QUBA WAIST APRON on my searches for those that prefer a pouch over an apron.

Geoff

I use a Daiwa Bait apron but would get a different type if I was getting another. Trouble with the Daiwa one is it sits quite low on me so if I wade out into deeper water my maggots get wet through the apron and it's a bit of a mess. I think John Wilson does one which is just a belt with a bag so you can maybe hang it from your neck. Another alternative is to use a wading waistcoat and put the maggots in the large front pockets.