Wanna buy a mark????

Davy Holt

Huge_Vitae:

I know the author of Dive Wight & Hampshire. He uses a different GPS set up. I will find it out for you and let you know, when you put in the right offset you will find most are spot on.

If you could, that would be very useful. I put a load of them in my GPS before I found that they were suspect :rolleyes: Now I know why!

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think a lot of the people who first fished all the marks wrecks etc that we fish now will be getting on a little or may even have passed on.

Who here can honestly say they found all their own marks and were the first to fish there? Most of the places i know i learnt from freinds. Some places I know I will even admit to following people to find them (arent I a naughty boy).

I do fish one place that i thought noone else fishes, and that is because it is quite a dangerous place to fish. I say i thought because i was telling a freind about this mark, only to be told his dad had fished from there in the 60's

I must say I feel for the Guy's that lost their lives, to form the wrecks we fish now!...how many folk think 100's of people died in this particular wreck we are fishing....makes you think?? I take my hat off to all mariners and submariners that were brave enough to make us a fishing mark....Lee

Regarding marks, Im doing a redevelopment of the Stornoway SAC web site, and have included an interactive shore marks section due to quite a lot of e-mails from visitors to the island and locals asking for where to fish from the shore in Lewis & Harris.

Dont mind doing the shore marks - but I would be stupid if I made boat marks section, the commercial boats would be there in a shot.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Ive see nthat up in the orkneys, Now these arent your average commercial boats, Fekin huge god knos how many millions spent on em with quite a large crew at sea for weeks, For such fish rich waters some bits can be awful desolate dew to the commercials up there... Thinking of which i never caught a fish from shore the 2 weeks i was up there, and i was told by locals commercials had been coming dead close..Although i caught loads an loads of god fish on certain undisclosed boat marks.. Post a link when all is ready gillies, sounds interesting,

Havnt i drifted of topic abit

Tight Lines

Shaun

Lee...:

I must say I feel for the Guy's that lost their lives, to form the wrecks we fish now!...how many folk think 100's of people died in this particular wreck we are fishing....makes you think??

You do think about it when you see the shape of the wreck on the fish-finder. We have a few subs off-shore here and it still gives me the creeps to think men died in WW1 and WW2 in those tin cans that are still on the bottom

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

dale:

my friend had tried to make conversation but found Davy very reserved. it later transpired during conversations with other anglers some had found the same.

Dale,

I think I may be able to shed a bit of light on the "reserved" bit. I have fished with Davy 3 years running now for one valuable weekend a year so can see (from experience) why the reserved bit may come in. Stick with me here pleae.

Davy's day starts at 0500 taking the dogs out and if the Catchalot is on the mooring rowing out to bring it in for the day. Breakfast, stores, check oil and water etc, then off to find bait. Now to the selected mark trying his best to find fish for his guests. There is then the mental process of wind, weather,tide, should I move, if so where too. Baby sitting his guests (or at least some of us)as well as the constant banter and the mobile phones going off all over the place. Now this goes on for 14 hours, mental and physical effort all day.

Ok now it the end of the day, the boat is tied up, Linda has the dinner on so its into the pub for a quick 2 drinks then eat and get ready to it again the next day. Before going to bed the days tally is put on the computer. The TV is usually on in the pub (hate the bloody things).

All the man wants to do is RELAX and UWIND.

If it was me I would probably fall asleep where I sat.

You can also add to the above that Linda wants to tell about HER day and the dogs have to go out again.

Unapproachable, never, trying for a bit of peace in his head after that sort of day very probably.

It must be like an athlete that has just run a very fast race, he is in pain and out of breath then some **** sticks a microphone in his face and starts asking questions, give the poor guy chance to settle down a bit first.

This is purely how "I" see Davy's day, others that have had the pleasure of fishing with Davy may see things differently, as may Davy but that is how "I" would feel.

I am glad that your Dad had such a good day on Catchalot and hope that he gets better and manages some more fishing trips.

Tight line.

Alan

[ 25. September 2004, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan Taylor:

Alan Taylor:

my friend had tried to make conversation but found Davy very reserved. it later transpired during conversations with other anglers some had found the same.

Dale,

I think I may be able to shed a bit of light on the "reserved" bit. I have fished with Davy 3 years running now for one valuable weekend a year so can see (from experience) why the reserved bit may come in. Stick with me here pleae.

Davy's day starts at 0500 taking the dogs out and if the Catchalot is on the mooring rowing out to bring it in for the day. Breakfast, stores, check oil and water etc, then off to find bait. Now to the selected mark trying his best to find fish for his guests. There is then the mental process of wind, weather,tide, should I move, if so where too. Baby sitting his guests (or at least some of us)as well as the constant banter and the mobile phones going off all over the place. Now this goes on for 14 hours, mental and physical effort all day.

Ok now it the end of the day, the boat is tied up, Linda has the dinner on so its into the pub for a quick 2 drinks then eat and get ready to it again the next day. Before going to bed the days tally is put on the computer. The TV is usually on in the pub (hate the bloody things).

All the man wants to do is RELAX and UWIND.

If it was me I would probably fall asleep where I sat.

You can also add to the above that Linda wants to tell about HER day and the dogs have to go out again.

Unapproachable, never, trying for a bit of peace in his head after that sort of day very probably.

It must be like an athlete that has just run a very fast race, he is in pain and out of breath then some **** sticks a microphone in his face and starts asking questions, give the poor guy chance to settle down a bit first.

This is purely how "I" see Davy's day, others that have had the pleasure of fishing with Davy may see things differently, as may Davy but that is how "I" would feel.

I am glad that your Dad had such a good day on Catchalot and hope that he gets better and manages some more fishing trips.

Tight line.

Alan

:cool: Very well put Alan, I'm sure Davy couldn't have put it better himself. :D