Wanna buy a mark????

Davy Holt

In our fishing club http://www.wyreboatangling.com/fishing/index.php

We have a member who is a very good fisherman he tends to win most of the competitions, he has a vast knowledge of the area we fish and has many marks.

I have been trying to get marks off him for some time. At the last club meeting we got chatting over a few pints and I of course started to talk about marks hopeing he would give me some of these great marks, he instead told me that its not the marks that count its the bait and the way you fish.

One day he was fishing a cod match he had planned to fish some of his special marks that always produced good catches of cod only to find at each mark was another boat, he thought well thats it I'll just have to fish here so he dropped anchor and proceeded to fish in an area he considered barren. He was soon out fishing every one and won the match when he analised why he put it down to the baits he was using and and the amount he uses that had created a sent trail to his " new secret mark"

Do I beleive him yes but I would still like those secret Marks.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ian,

its easy for all to see you have got a major problem with me. i can live with that.

i remember when you first started in the Mull area. of course you didn't follow boats around did you. Aquilla roy? other small boats? this was obviously before GPS so it was areas.

every mark you fish you have never seen other boats at?

where did you get your marks for at Oban? never took any notice of other charter boats or small craft.

kettle and black come to mind.

hey least your good for a bit of banter :D

I think were all to precious about or marks. Ive heared this debate many times and can honestly say our fishing club is no different, in fact it is far worse, a lot of people actually beleive (or this is how it appears) that they own the places they fish and have some god given right to fish there alone. This makes my f ing blood boil. Whilst I love to fish alone, in this day and age fishing is so populer that at some point we will all have to share the shoreline or wrecks with others.

learn to fish well and you will outfish the people who are fishing the same place and dont worry about the presence of others because that will put you off fishing well.

Dale

Don't make me laugh, Ian Hutton, who is a mate by the way and used to work 20 bookings a year for me, worked Aquila Roi from Port Logan for three years and had one Tope in all that time, and his best Pollack was 9 pounds. Why would I follow him around.

As for the remarks about GPS have you never heard of Decca, a system i used 20 years ago.

Regarding Oban Ronnie invited me to fish along side him approx 8 years ago. That is the only mark i have not picked out from the charts and we didn't even bother fishing it this year as we were doing better elsewhere.

Winter

My blood boils when I steam 10 miles offshore and with a rubby dubby out some tosser anchors a few yards downtide of me, spoiling the chances of my paying customers.

I have had one guy drop his anchor across my warp so i had to up anchor to retrieve his.

I have also had a novice boat owner drag anchor and crash into one of my boats causing big holes in the gel coat.

I'll be honest when I am Toping I don't even like my other boats close to me, thats one of the reasons why I pick new ground everytime i fish for Tope around the Scares, joining my other boats if they are doing better than me. Some of these marks have increased our Tope figures by 50 per cent in recent years.

So because of the time and effort gone into finding these marks it does pxss me you off when someone feels they have a right to anchor within a few feet of you. I have no problem with people returning and fishing it another day.

Port Logan is getting more and more popular and at times we have a flotilla following us around, We have had to learn to live with it and often see the funny side of it. but my blood boils when you see lads ripping through the Pollack marks with baited feathers and knocking Mackerel sized Pollack on the head. particularly when we are so careful in preserving the fishing round here. All inshore Pollack have to be returned by our anglers.

We broke three world records in one day, with Pollack on the fly recently and all fish went back so the records count for nothing.

I often give pointers to private boats when I know they will give the fish the respect they deserve.

Nobody owns the sea or any mark but i do feel I have the right to a bit of space around me at sea,

as does every other boat owner.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Alan - I think you just wrote the book "a day in the life of a charter skipper" well put....

I had an american client recently, own boat in the US, experienced fisherman etc.. We were lucky enough to catch some nice fish in the first hour or so, he shook my hand and said "thats the monkey off the skippers back" now you can enjoy yourself. How true, and its an expression I use myself now.

If the monkeys still on the skippers back, expect the skipper to be working hard to get it off.....

sounds like there are some good skippers about. I hear of some though who are just happy to take the cash and then drift over the same peice of ground over and over again, and dont seem to care wether there are any fish there or not.

bob@3dsportfishing:

Alan - I think you just wrote the book "a day in the life of a charter skipper" well put....

The best part is that Davy is not a charter skipper, you try giving him money for fuel etc, you will not get a smack in the face but the look will make you feel like you just had one. Don't even try and have a private chat with Linda either about money, she WILL give you a smack, joking :D

I am not knocking the efforts that some charter boat skippers put into getting there clients on the fish and I agree with Winter that some skippers just take the wee wee as long as they get paid. I used to know one skipper that had a paper print out of the wreck and he froze it on the the wreck, "are we on the wreck skip"? "sure are, look at the read out :mad: "

I have been sea fishing since I was 6 years old and boat fishing since I was 11, in all those years and charters I have only ever had the following said to me twice and they were said from non charter boat owners, just friends.

From Davy Holt after I came out of hospital, "That is the most important fish to be landed on this boat". I was banned from fishing for six months by the Doc :D little did he know :D

From Chris Parker on my first Bass on his boat "that fish means more to me than any other caught on this boat", whats the next challenge?

"A Bass on my 6'2" 5 piece little travel rod", no problem. That was pure light line fun. Chris would not accept money for fuel even though we were using 50 miles of Petrol a day :mad: so I had to get up early and sneak off to the garage :D Chris was not amused :P

In both cases you could actually feel the relief on my hosts.

So back to the original "a life in the day of a charter skipper", no, just caring people and friends :cool:

Alan

[ 26. September 2004, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/