Chumin it!

Blue Marlin

Hiya everyone.. i dont get much opportunity to go out in a boat so beachcasting and pier fishing's about it... just lett'n ya know, the other day i tried filling a couple of large hole-drilled plastic pails / buckets with a mix of mackrel, molases, cod liver oil, breadcrumbs and a load of other crap which i pre-made b4 the session. When i got there i walked out upto my waist and placed them both infront of me. after an hour or so fishing beyond the chum buckets the tide was in enough for me to fish onto them.. damn! the best beachcasting sesh i've ever had, caught loads.. just wanna say, if u aint tried it, give it a whirl.. i cant see any of my future sea fishing expeditions without a couple o chum buckets :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems so obvious doesn't it? It must work, yet we just cannot be bothered. I have just this evening made up some rigs with long tailed leads with film cannisters attatched to the tail with holes drilld in the sides. I shall start by filling them with mackerel. then when I catch a pout, chop it up, guts and all, stuff it into the film cannister, and I should have a great scent trail Just up from this I have a trace with a 5/0 bass hook, and attached to the eye of the bass hook, a short dropper with a 1/0 hook. small bait on the 1/0, very large bait on the 5/0. I will either catch whiting on the small hook, of a bloody great bass/cod/conger/turbot/ on the large hook. Well that's the theory any way.

i fish from my boat and at low water often grounbait with cod liver oil,bran,and any old bait that i used to throw away but now just put in the freezer.

i wish someone would make groundbait dropper for the sea the old carrier bag is messy

Boat anglers have always used chum, but us shore anglers rarely do. I suppose it is of limited value unless you are fishing close in, say for Bass, near rocks, or at night, when most species come closer than we think. I suppose the main problem is stuff to make the chum out of. We would have to buy herring etc in some quantity to make it worth while, on top of the cost of bait and petrol etc.

i recon it's worth it tho.. doesn't have to cost too much.. i was in tesco yesterday and asked at the fish counter if they'd gimme all the guts and crap they get left over as my buddy got his from a similar place.. a whole sack-full of fishy chum-gunge for free.. the other stuff like oil and whatever could be bought from a cash & carry. the large economy tins. they'll last ages.. not sure what size the film cannisters u drilled holes into but the buckets me & my m8 drilled were JUMBO.. huge white catering pails used for storing chip fat. defo worth putting in the extra effort.. i'd like to know what other ingriedients people have tried & tested in the passed.. hmmm

If you do a search on this forum there have been a couple of lengthy discussions on the subject - not very conclusive, but your idea of burying a gaint swimfeeder on the beach is a good one. Did you catch anything other than doggies though?

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

http://members.aol.com/jackfish7/chum.html might give you some ideas although it is US and freshwater catfish related.

http://www.theoutdoorlodge.com/reviews/fis...hum_bucket.html

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President