Chumin it!

Blue Marlin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salar:

If you do a search on this forum there have been a couple of lengthy discussions on the subject - not very conclusive, but your idea of burying a gaint swimfeeder on the beach is a good one. Did you catch anything other than doggies though?

i'm no expert on sea, the rivers and lakes are my main domain but we did catch a doggy each, i caught 2 large ray and my mate caught 3 plus a flounder or summut.. not what u'd call a record breaking catch i know but considering we been the same place 3 times b4 and caught nowt so i puts it down to the chumming suppose.. & cheers 'newt' had a good read of those articles.. all good info :)

I have been keeping the bait I dont use at the end of a session, and finally got round to defrosting and blending mackeral, sandeel and squid!!

Disgusting, black, smelly and gooey!! Put it in some coarse feeders, and froze it.

It was solid within an hour or so, an defrosted quickly when in the water. Only pouting caught, but no one else caught anything!

Have kept some more of the magic mix, and may stuff the next lot inside a squid, with a bit of bait elastic holding it inside.

B.A.S.S. member

chrisarvor:

i fish from my boat and at low water often grounbait with cod liver oil,bran,and any old bait that i used to throw away but now just put in the freezer.

i wish someone would make groundbait dropper for the sea the old carrier bag is messy

Watch this space with interest guys, After a couple of months and many hours of work your dreams are about to be realised

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

What I need is a groundbait dropper than goes straight down to the bottom below the boat in 70-90 foot of water with a good old English Channel/Solent tide running. Any ideas other than a 70-90 foot long concrete post?

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

chrisarvor:

i fish from my boat and at low water often grounbait with cod liver oil,bran,and any old bait that i used to throw away but now just put in the freezer.

i wish someone would make groundbait dropper for the sea the old carrier bag is messy

:cool: They do, or they did, not seen them for a while though. One was a quality job with a spring loaded plunger and the other was a weighted drainpipe, full of holes. Does anyone know if either or both still exist? :D

Salar:

What I need is a groundbait dropper than goes straight down to the bottom below the boat in 70-90 foot of water with a good old English Channel/Solent tide running. Any ideas other than a 70-90 foot long concrete post?

You need this while you are at anchor or drifting/running?
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I got an excellent bait dropper from "Stainless Steve" in Lymington.

Heavy duty ss, size of a small saucepan, full of holes. Could be used as a dropper or feeder.

A 2lb lead usually held it down on heavy braid.

If you want one, try about 1/2 mile NW of the Needles in about 20mtrs. That is where I left mine when I charged off one day forgetting to wind it in!!!!

Martyn

Newt:

You need this while you are at anchor or drifting/running?

At anchor. I have tried heavily weighted buckets and sacks but the tide pulls them right into the fishing area, and they get snagged by the lines. I want to fish a few metres downtide of the feeder, ideally.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk