Now let's ban fishing

Colin Brett

Another aspect which many peple should be made aware of is that anglers are the "Voluntary Guardians"

If there a problem its usually the anglers who are the first to notice, alert the peoples necessary and push many, many issues regarding fish stocks, fish habitat, and water conditions with regards to pollutants etc...

Also do they realise how many peoples livlihoods depend on fishing.

If we are supposedly living in a civilised world why cant they seem to deal with these issues in a civil manner,

if fishing was banned what would be next on their list????

Where does it stop ??????

Will they every be happy??????

Have they nothing better to do, instead of wasting time why aren't they working in the soup kitchens, battered wives hostels and homeless shelters taking care of their fellow man who as we all realise needs all our help and need it now !!!!

Happy Hookin'

Gary @ www.fishireland.info

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just emailed the editors of the Cambridge News and the Shropshire Star, pointing out that they have featured a letter that was a fake and a lie. Any more?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

***** cockney scum

stick to your ***** waste pit of a city

and by the way you eat ****** eels with mash ****** hipocrates

[Keep it clean....]

[ 04. September 2002, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

Peter Sharpe:

I have just emailed the editors of the Cambridge News and the Shropshire Star, pointing out that they have featured a letter that was a fake and a lie. Any more?

I have just emailed this reply to the Cambridge News:

So Teresa Thom wants to ban fishing? I wonder, would there be any fish if it wasn't for fishing and fishermen/women making sure the waters of this land are clean enough to support fish and other aquatic life? The efforts that a considerable number of Anglers go to just to improve the environment are quite considerable, derelict waterways and overgrown lakes are cleared and renovated, trees planted along with a multitude of other plants. Restocking with not just fish but the food to sustain them as well as fish breeding. Far from practising a cruel and grotesquely evil sport, anglers do more good for the environment than any of the "we don't do it, so ban it" brigade.

Many anglers also hold and support charity events around the whole of the UK. I assume that because they take part in a sport she sees a cruel and grotesque, they would no doubt be viewed in the same light. Now most of these charities are devoted to relieving human misery in one form or another, perhaps Teresa Thom would be better employed [if indeed she is employed] in doing something to help alleviate these problems instead of making threats [why Cambridge] against a perfectly legitimate activity enjoyed by millions both in the UK and world-wide!

I must also assume she doesn't eat fish!

Colin

So, we have a lady writing similar letters to a number of regional newspapers, complaining that having witnessed a fishing match, it is a cruel practise.

It is almost certainly a spoof letter written by Antis.

But no, wait, our intrepid Inspector Peters have solved the mystery.

Its the Countryside Alliance !!! using reverse psychology.

Come on gentlemen, I have enjoyed your contributions in the past, but this obsession is becoming pathetic.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

cookus:

***** ****** scum

stick to your ***** waste pit of a city

and by the way you eat ***** eels with mash ***** hipocrates

Cookus, posh folk from W1 don't eat eels and mash!! Also you don't help our defence by lumping ALL Londoners in the same catagory. Some of them are actually quite nice, and also many of them go fishing. Mind you, all the best Londoners live in London :D . Some Londoners, like some country folk, are hypocrites. Equally some are not. Ofcourse there is the small matter that some of your fellow posters are Londoners.

[ 04. September 2002, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

Cranfield:

So, we have a lady writing similar letters to a number of regional newspapers, complaining that having witnessed a fishing match, it is a cruel practise.

It is almost certainly a spoof letter written by Antis.

But no, wait, our intrepid Inspector Peters have solved the mystery.

Its the Countryside Alliance !!! using reverse psychology.

Come on gentlemen, I have enjoyed your contributions in the past, but this obsession is becoming pathetic.

I quite agree Cranfield!

Tim

I think we are missing the point here.

The point is those newspapers are printing these letters, how many people will it influence?

Perhaps some letters to some newspapers say that I was in an area and saw how a group of anglers had developed an old disgusting pond from my childhood into a thing of beauty, with such an abundance of wildlife and how anglers were using their time to take under privilaged kids fishing, or words to that effect. See if they will print a few letters like that?

Scott.

Cranfield:

Realistic, or pathetic? This, surely, is an option to which we all can have an opinion, and also a situation that we should atleast be aware of.

Cranfield, you have clearly stated your support for the CA in the past. I'm sorry if the suggestion that one of their supporters has resorted to underhand tactics, as a means of enrolling anglers on the CA march, has annoyed you. Unfortunately the CA appears desparate to swell its numbers by practically any means. Its a sad indictment of the CA, and the credibility of many of its members, that any of us should have any cause whatsoever to doubt them in this way.

There is a good chance that our suspicions are correct. I have a good friend within a national newspaper group, a fellow angler. If there is a pattern, it will emerge. If I am provern wrong then I will apologise. However, just maybe I won't need to!

Cranfield, you are an educated, clearly well bred man, a gentleman. Also, I would guess, a man of the world, so to speak. Can you honestly say that you have no nagging doubts about the CA? Has it not struck you as odd that many of its directors are city, institutional folk, rather than country folk? Or that its offices are in London, rather than the country? Or that the Conservative Faithful have jumped on to its band wagon. It has become, for many, a 'them and us' issue. Put that aside, look at it again, still no doubts? No hints of the sleeze that have dogged the Tories? Ummmmmm, a trusting man.

[ 04. September 2002, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

I urge Messrs Kelly and Cranfield to write a response in any way they think fit.

The email addresses are:

www.eteditor@peterboroughnow.co.uk

www.editorial@cambridge-news.co.uk

www.mwaugh@shropshirestar.co.uk

Please note that the last of these differs from the one given on their website (starmail@shropshirestar.co.uk also tried with .com) as these were returned as undeliverable.

p.s. obsession or not, I though that even if Ms. Thom was an anti, nothing would pi** her off more than being branded as a fox hunter.

[ 04. September 2002, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.