Bait Boats

johnhere

The over-riding point of all "new" (rehashed) rigs is to a. fool the fish into picking up the bait and b. make sure the fish cannot eject the hook without hooking itself. there by reducing a huge amount of the skill factor. That is all modern session carping is about that and time to burn.

It may be for you, mate, but don't assume the rest of us fish the way you do.

What about fish location, baiting strategy, rig selection, feature finding, stalking, surface fishing, presentation, fish care and, yes...casting. Now add the appreciation of our surroundings, a bit of camaraderie, the thrill of doing battle with a big carp at any time of the day or night, and most of all the privilege of getting away from the 'real' world and creating our own version for a while - and you'll be getting somewhere near to what it's 'all about' for many of us.

Sweeping statements like yours do no favours for their subject, or those that make them.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything you say mate and if you actually read what i wrote instead of reacting to just one bit of it then you would see that. My point is that the inference that bait boats reduce the skill level but other inovations ,such as the hair rig and the bite alarm do not is crap. As for watercraft i would suggest that the average match angler knows more about watercraft then the average carper does. (sweeping statement??) :P:P

Peter

I am not saying i am against hair rigs or any other type of self hooking rig but your philosophy regarding the erosian of skill levels does. The over-riding point of all "new" (rehashed) rigs is to a. fool the fish into picking up the bait and b. make sure the fish cannot eject the hook without hooking itself. there by reducing a huge amount of the skill factor. That is all modern session carping is about that and time to burn. Day session guys NEED to think things out far more then long stay anglers. There would be no long stay anglers without the hair rig, the bite alarms and the boilies and the other inovations that have moved things on. I have a bait boat but i rarely use it, in fact i only use it on one lake i fish which is fringed on one side with overhanging trees. I don,t want to leave tackle hanging in the trees to harm other wild life but i do want to fish over there. So i use a bait boat, silly thing is that most of the anti bait boat brigade would not bat an eyelid if i rowed across in a boat and placed my baits and freebies, that is hypocracy! plain and simple!! :angry::angry:

No long stay anglers without the rigs & alarms etc? Wonder what Dick Walker, Jack Hilton, Bill Quinlan, Rod Hutchinson to mention just a tiny few, would think about that statement. Used to get steaming runs without the hair rig you know, in fact the old systems of side & top hooking baits are still very effective & can be BETTER than the hair rig on occasion.

Don't like the idea of rowing baits out either, so we do agree there!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

• 4 weeks later...

i went fishing for 5 days and on the 4 day the day before i left a angler set up bait boat and directed it over to a snag next on the island i was fishing. this snag was directley in front of me. he on the other hand had the point of the island in front of him and there where 2 pegs and a inlet between us thats was about 60 metres. as i casted out to where i was fishing to after rebaiting he had the cheek to shout over at me to get out of his swim. i told the baliff he told me this was not the first time this man had done it and was propmtley banned from using baitboats on the pool again until the end of the year(2005).

i believe bait boats are ok as long as you dont fish in other peoles swims.

84854438.png

Nothing wrong with baitboats - simply another tool in the metaphorical tackle box!

I agree, but there are bad in the wrong hands like rooney said. And ive seen idiots using them on a local club lake (pond) less than an acre in size!!!!! :blink::huh:

Edited by josh

It's great at night. Take the kids down to see all the pretty lights. B)

In commercial fishing, when a new or improved method is invented, it's called "technical creep". In other words it is accepted that people will always endeavour to improve their catch rate, whether commercially or for sport. We all go fishing to catch fish....not let them go! I therefore see nothing much wrong with baitboats, as long as they are used responsibly.

If I could afford or warrant the expenditure for one, I would definitely buy one. It's just another tool in the weapons chest.

I can remember, from the fifties, the furore when fixed spool or "threadline" reels were coming on the market. The anti-argument was that they made the job of catching fish too easy, because of the ability to cast long distances with the new toys.

Think a bit about this. How do you think carp, or other species, fishing would have developed if we had been restricted to centrepins.

But, I generally fish very large, relatively non pressured lakes and gravel pits and wouldn't effect anyone with their use. If I owned the average fishery, I agree that their use is unviable, because today's average angler hasn't the brains to consider others

I can remember, from the fifties, the furore when fixed spool or "threadline" reels were coming on the market. The anti-argument was that they made the job of catching fish too easy, because of the ability to cast long distances with the new toys.
Yup. Lots of fuss. In the US it was mostly the bait casting guys who were yelling though as pins have never become really mainstream reels over here.

I think fixed spool might not have caught on to the extent it did if the DuPont folks hadn't decided to revisit their invention of nylon monofilament fishing line though. They produced one in the late 1930s about a year or two after they invented nylon. Never really caught on - partly because it wasn't very reliable when compared to the various Dacron braid lines.

When they hit the market with their Stren brand of mono in 1959, it was such a natural marriage with fixed spool reels that both of them rapidly became popular. Mono also gathered it's fair share of the anti brigade yelling about how unfair, unsporting, un, un, un, this new fangled line was.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well as I started this I will end my postings by saying as I cannot cast though trees and bushes and have never met anyone who can, I will use my bait boat to ade me in catching fish in those areas. I never use it on open waters as I cannot see the point but there again maybe there is by baiting up a close area rather than all over the place.

It has been interesting reading all the postings.

Tight lines in 2006 guys.