All,

I that a duck?

Phone

#3 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,147 posts
  • Interests:Coarse, game and sea angling. Cars, gardening, cooking, lousy guitar playing. Stuff.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:19 AM

Technically, no.

#4 Vagabond

Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Interests:Angling, Ichthyology

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

On page 188 of my 1st Edition (1953) of "Still Water Angling"  

"The frequency with which pike attack and eat moorhen is well known.   Most anglers at one time or another will have seen a moorhen vanish with an anguished cry in the middle of a mighty swirl."

There followed a suggestion that involved shooting and skinning a moorhen , sewing the hide over a carved balsa body and attaching trebles to the legs,  The main line would be attached to the neck so as to give it a realistic bobbing motion.   

We heard no more, so presumably if it were ever tried it didn't result in any big pike.

There are plenty of black bass baits imitating frogs and rats - not seen a duckling-based lure though - has anyone else ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .
Certhia's world species - 215
Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato
...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

#5 corydoras

corydoras

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,170 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:22 PM

There followed a suggestion that involved shooting and skinning a moorhen , sewing the hide over a carved balsa body and attaching trebles to the legs,  The main line would be attached to the neck so as to give it a realistic bobbing motion.   

We heard no more, so presumably if it were ever tried it didn't result in any big pike.

There are plenty of black bass baits imitating frogs and rats - not seen a duckling-based lure though - has anyone else ?

A quick search on Google images will show plenty of duckling fishing lures. Whether anyone has caught anything on one may be another story.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

#6 Andy_1984

Andy_1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts
  • Interests:Yer wife.

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:44 PM

A quick search on Google images will show plenty of duckling fishing lures. Whether anyone has caught anything on one may be another story.

I dont see why they wouldnt you just have to look at some of the lures going about these days to see pike dont really give a crap what it looks like. seen em go for wood chip and salt n vinegar mcoys.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

#7 Worms

Worms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts
  • Interests:Coarse sea and game angling, mainly with vintage tackle, wildlife, especially otters, Vintage motorcycles, eating wild caught fish......the list goes on

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:57 PM

"wood chip and salt n vinegar" flavour......yep, that's about right for McCoys :icecream:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

#8 Worms

Worms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts
  • Interests:Coarse sea and game angling, mainly with vintage tackle, wildlife, especially otters, Vintage motorcycles, eating wild caught fish......the list goes on

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:01 PM

http://dgfishtales.b...01_archive.html

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

#9 Andy_1984

Andy_1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts
  • Interests:Yer wife.

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:00 PM

"wood chip and salt n vinegar" flavour......yep, that's about right for McCoys :icecream:

lol you aint far wrong, I do like em sometimes. btw I should probably add that it was an empty packet of mccoys :D

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk