Can commercial fishermen and sea anglers work together?

Ian Burrett

Efforts to do so have failed miserably so far due to the commercial sectors point blank refusal to change anything. The only thing that will change anything now is new laws, regulations, rules, restrictions, etc. All the stuff that neither side really wants.

What has really rocked those concerned with the promoting 'the Industry' recently has been the reaction by the supermarkets to campaigns by various NGOs, and bad press about overfishing, dodgy fish from the Baltic etc.

Although consumers will often say that they want food from ethical sources, suppliers have been somewhat reassured that when it comes down to it, most consumers want cheap food above all else, so the 'value' eggs outsell the free range, battery hens outsell corn-fed farmyard hens etc.

However, the competing supermarkets have become very aware of the importance of their own brands, and the need for consumers to have trust that when they go into a supermarket of a particular 'brand', they feel that they are being sold food that is not only of a good standard, but is produced ethically and responsibly.

Selling dodgy fish, and being exposed by NGOs and the tabloid's perhaps exagerrated stories of crime and corruption, environmental rape and pillage, is a sure way of losing consumer confidence in the brand name of a supermarket, and overall market share Not just in sales of fish, but anything else on sale in the store.

So the supermarkets are laying down their demands, and 'the Industry' has little option but to comply (there was a meeting between NGOs, supermarkets and fishing industry leaders last week).

Apparently the image of the fishing industry is at a level that oil companies found themselves five years ago, and the industry realises that it has to get ahead of the game, and needs to look at how it wants to be regarded by consumers and the market in 20 years time, and do whatever is necessary to get there.

One thing that is noticeable is that since the buyers and sellers legislation came into force, and a lot of black fish has been eliminated from the market, as well as a greater level of compliance and increased enforcement activity, the price of fish available to compliant fishermen has increased considerably (less cheap black fish on the market, less fish available to buy, so the price goes up).

And some are beginning to realise that to increase profits, doesn't necessarily mean taking out more fish, but ensuring quality, and managing the marketing of what is available is also a route to greatly increased profitibality, with less damge to the marine environment and to the reputation of 'the Industry'.

So, it's not all down to 'new laws, regulations, rules, restrictions, etc' . There are also opportunities in behaving in a responsible fashion towards the resource that is being exploited, to increase profits.

Unfortunately, 'the Industry' has saddled itself with a growing RSA sector that has closely followed the behaviour of the industry in the past, and is influenced in it's views by the treatment of the RSA sector by the commercial lobby.

It would be in the greater long term interests of 'the Industry' to have those 1 - 2 million members of the public on board, spreading good news stories about the catching sector, rather than tales of selfish rape and pillage of the seas amongst family, friends and workmates.

I'm not sure if the bloke on the deck, hauling nets appreciates that though.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you think that commercial fishermen actually care what the general public thinks about them then Leon? I don't.

They might care when super markets refuse to buy their fish, but probably only once/if it happens. Even then, the majority of what they catch goes abroad anyway so why should they care what J Sainsbury does?

Fish prices are apparently high right now. It might, or might not, be something to do with the fish buyers and sellers charter.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Commercial fishermen are consistently bad mouthed by rod and line anglers.

As anglers we have no more right over what fish is there than they.

When i look at a fishing boat, i see a man, or men who work long hard hours and risk their lives on a daily basis to put bread on their families table.

As an angler i fish to pass the time and relax. There is no pressure on me to provide for my family by catching fish (which is a good job as they would have all starved a long time ago).

Fishermen have a reputation for killing everything, but talking from my own experiances, of the fishermen i know, they have more of an interest as at the end of the day, their livelihoods depend upon future fish stocks.

To answer the question originally stated, i think that commercial fishermen and anglers will have to work together if any good is ever going to result from the current situation.

Much has been said in anger by both parties in the past; and this needs to be forgotten, so we can all look to a brighter future.

I think that it is not so much of can we work together, more that we MUST work together.

Ed.

What has really rocked those concerned with the promoting 'the Industry' recently has been the reaction by the supermarkets to campaigns by various NGOs, and bad press about overfishing, dodgy fish from the Baltic etc.

Although consumers will often say that they want food from ethical sources, suppliers have been somewhat reassured that when it comes down to it, most consumers want cheap food above all else, so the 'value' eggs outsell the free range, battery hens outsell corn-fed farmyard hens etc.

However, the competing supermarkets have become very aware of the importance of their own brands, and the need for consumers to have trust that when they go into a supermarket of a particular 'brand', they feel that they are being sold food that is not only of a good standard, but is produced ethically and responsibly.

Selling dodgy fish, and being exposed by NGOs and the tabloid's perhaps exagerrated stories of crime and corruption, environmental rape and pillage, is a sure way of losing consumer confidence in the brand name of a supermarket, and overall market share Not just in sales of fish, but anything else on sale in the store.

So the supermarkets are laying down their demands, and 'the Industry' has little option but to comply (there was a meeting between NGOs, supermarkets and fishing industry leaders last week).

Apparently the image of the fishing industry is at a level that oil companies found themselves five years ago, and the industry realises that it has to get ahead of the game, and needs to look at how it wants to be regarded by consumers and the market in 20 years time, and do whatever is necessary to get there.

One thing that is noticeable is that since the buyers and sellers legislation came into force, and a lot of black fish has been eliminated from the market, as well as a greater level of compliance and increased enforcement activity, the price of fish available to compliant fishermen has increased considerably (less cheap black fish on the market, less fish available to buy, so the price goes up).

And some are beginning to realise that to increase profits, doesn't necessarily mean taking out more fish, but ensuring quality, and managing the marketing of what is available is also a route to greatly increased profitibality, with less damge to the marine environment and to the reputation of 'the Industry'.

So, it's not all down to 'new laws, regulations, rules, restrictions, etc' . There are also opportunities in behaving in a responsible fashion towards the resource that is being exploited, to increase profits.

Unfortunately, 'the Industry' has saddled itself with a growing RSA sector that has closely followed the behaviour of the industry in the past, and is influenced in it's views by the treatment of the RSA sector by the commercial lobby.

It would be in the greater long term interests of 'the Industry' to have those 1 - 2 million members of the public on board, spreading good news stories about the catching sector, rather than tales of selfish rape and pillage of the seas amongst family, friends and workmates.

Hello Leon

You don’t really believe all that waffle do you?

You have been to too many ‘stake bloody holder’ meetings,

I agree the commercial sector have been very slow on responding to the supermarkets and to the green lobby, this is I think was because they did not really think that people would be taken in by such crap and miss information, by the time they realised that the public were starting to believe all the bulls*** it was to late. I spend half my life explaining to people who ask “is it possible to make a living? Are there enough fish left?” that it is and there are.

The only thing that has pushed up the prices is the price of fuel, nothing what so ever to do with the buyers and sellers and black fish. The only large increase in price is for Dover sole, due to two things, a cold spring has made them scares and the fuel hungry beam trawlers are not working much, the price for other fish is much the same.

I doubt the commercial sector and anglers can work together , there could be one trawler per 2 hundred square miles but if it was in sight of land let alone a few hundred yards from the beach then Maidstone Mike would want it exterminated , doesn’t matter that there are thousands of square miles close to the shore were it is not possible for trawlers to work . If I was the only gill netter working the Thames Estuary (I wish) and shot nets with in sight of a angling boat or was working a wreck that an angling boat wanted to fish , even if I fished with the lures and caught lots of bass I would be slated for it .

Lets face it we are in competition with each other for the same fish, but catch and release doesn’t work for me.

Mind you 99% of anglers don’t give a damn.

I fish to live and live to fish.

What is this boloney about commercial fishermen and anglers working together?

We need fish and they are hell bent on wiping them out to make as much money as they can while there are still a few fish left in the sea. Where is the common ground there?

Anyone who believes commercial fishermen care about improving fish stocks would probably let Gary Glitter babysit.

:clap2: I absolutely agree with that statement but the problem lies in the commercials believing that they have a God given right to ALL the fish in the sea. They don't believe RSA's should have any of THEIR FISH, they have had all the say for so long they actually believe that the fish in the sea are THEIRS, we anglers have no right to them at all. They fish for a living, we fish for pleasure. They don't appreciate the jobs that rely on us fishing for pleasure, more jobs than rely on them fishing for a living. It's about time the pendulum swung the other way for a while. :clap2:

When i look at a fishing boat, i see a man, or men who work long hard hours and risk their lives on a daily basis to put bread on their families table.

As an angler i fish to pass the time and relax. There is no pressure on me to provide for my family by catching fish (which is a good job as they would have all starved a long time ago).

Fishermen have a reputation for killing everything, but talking from my own experiances, of the fishermen i know, they have more of an interest as at the end of the day, their livelihoods depend upon future fish stocks.

To answer the question originally stated, i think that commercial fishermen and anglers will have to work together if any good is ever going to result from the current situation.

Much has been said in anger by both parties in the past; and this needs to be forgotten, so we can all look to a brighter future.

I think that it is not so much of can we work together, more that we MUST work together.

Ed.

What utter twadle. If these people have a bad name they have only themselves to blame. I take it your from the same planet as the rest of em. You missed the comment about skinning tope and passing them of as hounds ? You missed the one about a whole towns fleet landing half a million pounds worth of black fish in 11 weeks and saying they may do it again ? you missed the shetlander who made millions from crime then walked out of court a free man having made profit from crime ? Then you plead their innocence ? wakey wakey mister!

What utter twadle. If these people have a bad name they have only themselves to blame. I take it your from the same planet as the rest of em. You missed the comment about skinning tope and passing them of as hounds ? You missed the one about a whole towns fleet landing half a million pounds worth of black fish in 11 weeks and saying they may do it again ? you missed the shetlander who made millions from crime then walked out of court a free man having made profit from crime ? Then you plead their innocence ? wakey wakey mister!

Damned right!

I am sick of hearing about what a bunch of working class heroes, braving the elements, fishermen are.

What they really are is a bunch of thieving, tax evading, crooks who will break any rule they see fit as long as they can turn a profit.

It's dangerous, yeah sure it is, so is dealing coke. Doesn't make me respect drug dealers though.

Why they come on here, an ANGLING forum remember, is beyond me.

hi leon

point is we need to get our 12 mile limit back, and manage it ourselves then the commercials would be able to afford the luxerary of conservation

all my fish go's to europe not bothered about the supermarkets

commercials and anglers wont work together the opposing veiws will not allow it, in any event just read the small minded posts above they speak for themselves

regards steve

very fair comment

Ed.