Can commercial fishermen and sea anglers work together?

Ian Burrett

It seems the NW&NWSFC actually caught someone!

Taken off their site

Bull Bay Fisherman Prosecuted for Obstructing Fishery Officer.

On Wednesday 14th June 2006, at Llangefni Magistrates Court, Mr Peter Jackson of Amlwch, Anglesey, was found guilty on two charges of obstructing an Officer of the North Western and North Wales Sea Fisheries Committee.

The Bench heard that on the 1st September 2005, two Fishery Officers observed Mr Jackson landing from his boat at Bull Bay. As he proceeded up the beach carrying a bucket containing his catch, he was approached by one of the Fishery Officers. He immediately fled down the beach towards his boat, twice ignoring instructions to stop and allow the Fishery Officer to inspect the contents of the bucket.

Mr Jackson then deliberately emptied the contents of the bucket into the sea, in order to prevent any inspection of his catch. In court Mr Jackson pleaded not guilty, and stated that he had merely been washing down his boat. He was fined £200 on each charge with £140 costs.

Principal Fishery Officer Martyn Boyce said: "The inshore fisheries make a significant contribution to the local economy, particularly in rural communities. Fishery Officers promote pro-active management strategies, by enforcing European and National legislation in conjunction with local Byelaws. These regulations serve to protect the current strong pot fisheries of North and Mid Wales. Anyone who deliberately frustrates the work of Fishery Officers is committing a serious offence, and can expect to be dealt with in the courts."

Of course Wurzel would probably say he WAS washing down his boat.

Four inch flounders give a boat a lovely shine!

Post what you want in reply Wurzel, it won't get a response.

Arguing with you is as futile as trying to teach a pig to play the piano.

Edited by ColinW

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge

What a sad state of affairs things have come to on this forum.

What ever (you who do) you say to wurzel will be like water of a ducks back. Not because he is pig ignorant as you seam to want to put it, but because he makes a living out of doing something that he loves doing.

We should listen to him more because if he is still making a living (legally) going to sea catching fish then why should he lie? Why should he not tell the truth? If he experiences things most days at sea then why should he not tell the truth about what he has experienced?

I would hang on to wurzel if I was you, if he is a keen angler as well as a keen commercial fisherman than as regards to information (and that’s what a forum is all about) he is priceless.

As for commercials and recreational working together, as far as I am concerned they have never stopped. Over the last forty years I have worked with commercial and recreational fishermen who have had a deep and meaningful and helpful understanding of each others needs.

But then again these fishermen use there dialogue at sea where they do there work and recreation.

What ever (you who do) you say to wurzel will be like water of a ducks back. Not because he is pig ignorant as you seam to want to put it, but because he makes a living out of doing something that he loves doing.

We should listen to him more because if he is still making a living (legally) going to sea catching fish then why should he lie? Why should he not tell the truth? If he experiences things most days at sea then why should he not tell the truth about what he has experienced?

I would hang on to wurzel if I was you, if he is a keen angler as well as a keen commercial fisherman than as regards to information (and that’s what a forum is all about) he is priceless.

As for commercials and recreational working together, as far as I am concerned they have never stopped. Over the last forty years I have worked with commercial and recreational fishermen who have had a deep and meaningful and helpful understanding of each others needs.

But then again these fishermen use there dialogue at sea where they do there work and recreation.

Are you Binatone in disguise ??? :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Don't know wurzel, never met him, I'll accept he is honest and making a living legally - so none of the following is aimed at him personally.

Do you (challenge) not accept that RSA guys also love doing what they do - why should our word be worth less than that of any commercial fisherman ?

The question was Can commercial fishermen and sea anglers work together? Well on the web page that Ian started this topic with the voting is 2:1 NO which I guess gives a good indicator. The fact that commercial interests do all they can to block any RSA presence in any fisheries committee also is a fair indicator.

I have yet to see many commercial fishermen accept that stocks are in any way affected, in fact not so long ago, there was a proposition, made by a commercial, that they were actually underfished !!!

Issues vary from one area of the UK to another, in some, iilegal netters may be the main issue; in others, stocks; in others environmental issues -- all require different approaches and several could use innovative solutions.

So if all the commercial guys have to offer in " a deep and meaningful and helpful understanding of each others needs " is you lot are wrong there is no problem, we know best, commercials don't fiddle log books, nobody takes undersized fish for pot bait, we all fish with conservation in mind - etc., etc., then I see no value add there.

If on the other hand, commercial guys were to start promoting joint ventures/efforts/activities aimed at really bringing both sides together to address illegals and environmental issues, then that would be something. If there was a real move towards no-take zones, nursey areas, off-seasons or other such activities aimed at re-building stocks - even better.

Of course, it wouldn't be easy, but that's always a good measure of commitment. Many in both sectors would be sceptical, but until there is meaningful dialogue nothing will change.

Of course, there may be no interest in moving forward and having fun heckling from the cheap seats may be what it's all about.

Of course, there may be no interest in moving forward and having fun heckling from the cheap seats may be what it's all about.

Sadly this is how it always seem to end up.

mainly because of numptity anarrack assumptions like this.

They are targetting immature flounders. They are even discarding bigger fish dead because they can't be bothered cutting them up, it's easier just to slice across the back of a small one.

and this

Of course Wurzel would probably say he WAS washing down his boat.

Four inch flounders give a boat a lovely shine!

Both are just not plausable.

It is this kind of attitude, which pushes higher up on the political agenda the marine protected areas

when you are faced with the alternatives it's the only attitude you can have.

The commercial lobby will fight tooth and naill to make sure that the RSA's will be excluded from any future marine protected areas.

We will all have to hammer what little area is left. I doubt they wil do much for conservation.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Wurzel,

The original question on this thread was can commercials and RSA's work together to a common cause.

You have answered it quite categorically with the following quote

Most of us pay our share of tax as well and it is anglers who have the disregard for commercials, commercials don't care much what anglers do or were they do it, it is you who wants to stop us from working, and we aren't stopping you from fishing.

That is not exactly a good start to a mutually benificial arrangement. RSA's do want a bigger say in something that for many years the commercials have been the only ones recognised as shareholders in. That means we can only ever be seen as meddlers out for destruction in the eyes of a commercial.

RSA is forcing its way into what for years has been the sole right of the comercials because of two reasons.

1. The internet has allowed better access to information for millions at the touch of a button. This means that information that was previously only available to a select few is now read by many, including those who have a legitimate right to know whats going on but in the past had no way of getting the information. This has effectively broken the cartel situation whereby only those with a commercial intrest had any input into the legislative decision makers. No longer can decisions be made regarding the future be made behind closed doors, its all now in the open and those who dont like what they read are going to object or put up alternative suggestions.

2. The track record of the commercials in terms of managing sustainable fisheries is frankly diabolical. The Net benifits reports describes the history of the commercial sector as been one of boom and bust and goes on to say every effort should be made to ensure that target levels are set to ensure sustainable fisheries for the future. To have these same commercials as the sole contributors to discussions on the way future fish stocks should be managed is a bit like asking Gary Glitter to babysit for you. The goverment have woken up to the fact that there is huge revenue potential to be gained by having healthy fish stocks other than the money earned by catching them and selling them for the table.

All commercials need to face the fact that times are changing and its the major supermarkets who are rapidly having the say as to what is and what isn't acceptable. They will listen to their customers who have the option of voting with there feet and end up forcing the market by simply not buying a particular product. will the government listen then ...well if you look at the turnover for the commercial sector, and the turnover for tesco's and the claimed spend by Uk anglers I think you will find that the supermarkets will guide future policy based on their customers opinions.

Commercials and RSA's could never work together towards a common goal for the simple reason we have no common goal!

Dave

Edited by Fastd

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

I think you will find that the supermarkets will guide future policy based on their customers opinions.

The problem here is that most informatin fed to the customers is on the lines of:

They are targetting immature flounders. They are even discarding bigger fish dead because they can't be bothered cutting them up, it's easier just to slice across the back of a small one.

Totaly false and misleasing.

Adding another slant on this thread, I get along fine with the anglers that fish from the same marina as me, so far I have not had any of the anomosity shown on here, often they come over and watch us unload our catches, thy are mostly interested in what we do and ask questions about how we catch our fish. I often get asked , whats about and where is a good area would be for them to fish? I am always happy to advice.

I have not heard many moans about the lack of fish, in fact the oppisite.

If more of you spoke with the commercials that you come into conflict with I am sure in most cases you would find things totaly different to what you first assumed.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest challenge

I think you will find that the supermarkets will guide future policy based on their customers opinions.

The problem here is that most informatin fed to the customers is on the lines of:

Adding another slant on this thread, I get along fine with the anglers that fish from the same marina as me, so far I have not had any of the anomosity shown on here, often they come over and watch us unload our catches, thy are mostly interested in what we do and ask questions about how we catch our fish. I often get asked , whats about and where is a good area would be for them to fish? I am always happy to advice.

If more of you spoke with the commercials that you come into conflict with I am sure in most cases you would find things totaly different to what you first assumed.

The problem is wurzel that they don’t talk to commercials the same way as they talk about them on this forum.

hi peter

here here well put

regards steve