Can commercial fishermen and sea anglers work together?

Ian Burrett

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hefty fine for what exactly ???

How`s about not recording a proper catch log. Landing `black fish`. Tax avoidance.

Some commercials have lots of reasons for not being quite truthful. How about the `innocent mob` from Whitby. :headhurt:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Leon

It's refreshing to read your factual posts, amongst the mud-slinging and name-calling.

On the one hand we have anglers calling all commercial fishermen thieves - which is clearly an outrageous blanket statement and on the other we have a commercial fisherman ignoring (or is blissfuly unaware :) ) of the fact that the commercial lobby put a huge amount of pressure on MPs, Defra and the EU fisheries management hierarchy, in order to overturn the scientific evidence and advice to cut quota and fishing pressure, for the benefit of the industry, rather than the stocks themselves.

Despite the rhetoric from both sides, there are some common areas to which we both aspire, but the attitudes of some - which border on ignorant prejudice - will hold back any meaningful dialogue for years to come.

Give me your 'waffle' any day Leon, as it is deplomacy, tolerence and compromise from both sides that is needed, not spats and aggression.

1,000,000 Sea Anglers need to march on Westminster or blockade the Thames next to parliment!!!!!!!!!!!!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

1,000,000 Sea Anglers need to march on Westminster or blockade the Thames next to parliment!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two questions Sam -

Q 1. What do we want when we get there?

Q 2. Do you think that more than 9 others will come?

Sea Anglers can't be bothered to join the NFSA, or many other clubs that fight their corner for them, so I can't see many going to the expense of travelling to London and taking time off work, to go to Parliament.

Those that do that already, get slagged off for not being forceful enough anyway, so why should they turn up either - better make that a small mini-bus if you're booking one.

your slanderus post is as small minded and very very wrong for no wonder commercial do not want to work with the likes of you grow up

Well, I guess it's a good job I wasn't so drunk that I didn't tone down my posting, otherwise you'd have really got upset! :2:

Are you a Spanish trawlerman by any chance? You seem to lose ability to speak English when you get upset.

Just so we are clear on a few points. When I talk about "commercial fishermen" I mean anyone who SELLS fish, not anyone who has a fishing licence. The people who string miles of gill nets along my local beaches are commercial fishermen. The people who scrape four inch flounders off the bed of my local river for pot bait are commercial fishermen. The Romanians who put night lines out for pike in my local drains are commercial fishermen. What they all have in common is a complete disregard for other (tax paying) members of society.

I am actually not "small minded", that seems to be the prerogative of the netsmen, who fight tooth and nail to prevent the implementation of conservation measures which might actually be their own salvation.

Well, I guess it's a good job I wasn't so drunk that I didn't tone down my posting, otherwise you'd have really got upset! :2:

Are you a Spanish trawlerman by any chance? You seem to lose ability to speak English when you get upset.

Just so we are clear on a few points. When I talk about "commercial fishermen" I mean anyone who SELLS fish, not anyone who has a fishing licence. The people who string miles of gill nets along my local beaches are commercial fishermen. The people who scrape four inch flounders off the bed of my local river for pot bait are commercial fishermen. The Romanians who put night lines out for pike in my local drains are commercial fishermen. What they all have in common is a complete disregard for other (tax paying) members of society.

I am actually not "small minded", that seems to be the prerogative of the netsmen, who fight tooth and nail to prevent the implementation of conservation measures which might actually be their own salvation.

.This is the cause of friction between us, and is the prime example of inaccurate rubbish that some anglers like to post.

I wonder if you know just how long a mile is.

It is not possible to have 4 inch flounders in your bait bin and not get prosecuted.

Most of us pay our share of tax as well and it is anglers who have the disregard for commercials, commercials don't care much what anglers do or were they do it, it is you who wants to stop us from working, and we aren't stopping you from fishing.

I presume your last sentence was referring to the BMP; there is no proof that it would be anybody’s salvation,it was scientists that recomended 36 cm's 20 years ago .

you are not so much small minded, more like mindless and clueless

I fish to live and live to fish.

By the way Ed are you a commercial fisherman yourself?

At the moment, i'm doing a bit of landscape gardening, but more usually i'm building.

Living in a seaside town, employment options are limited. Work in the tourism trade for minimum wage, or go to sea is the main choise, apart from moving away. I feel quite lucky to earn a decent wage ashore.

I can therefore sympathise with those who must go to sea to provide for their families. I'm sure they are more worried about paying their council tax, keeping the kids in shoes, and putting food on the table, rather than setting about the total destruction of the marine ecosystem.

I was taught to fish by dad at a young age, and have been hooked ever since. Used to be well into fishing for pike and coarse fishing, but my heart has always been in sea fishing, because at the end of the day, it is mostly free, and you can eat what you catch.

At the moment, i just nip out with the rods whenever i get the chance, which is all too infrquent. :(

Ed.

I presume your last sentence was referring to the BMP; there is no proof that it would be anybody’s salvation,it was scientists that recomended 36 cm's 20 years ago .

er, in fact they suggested 38cm.

Quarterofacenturyago_.doc

Pressure from 'the Industry' forced MAFF to agree to just 36cm.

Once the measures were introduced into the UK, and British fishermen had access to a 'better product', the higher mls was adopted by the EU.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

.This is the cause of friction between us, and is the prime example of inaccurate rubbish that some anglers like to post.

I wonder if you know just how long a mile is.

It is not possible to have 4 inch flounders in your bait bin and not get prosecuted.

Most of us pay our share of tax as well and it is anglers who have the disregard for commercials, commercials don't care much what anglers do or were they do it, it is you who wants to stop us from working, and we aren't stopping you from fishing.

you are not so much small minded, more like mindless and clueless

How long is a mile? A bloody long way. I HAD a beach set gill net Wurzel, many years ago. I only did it for personal consumption and it was only about fifty feet long. I stopped using it when I tried to put it down one summer night and couldn't find a single break in the line of gill nets that were already down and which ran from Southport pier to Formby point. That's not a mile, it's eight miles. I'd be very surprised if similar nets are not there today.

Who exactly would prosecute a fisherman if he had a bin full of four inch flounders? There appears to be NO POLICING AT ALL of finfish fishing in the North West (apart from salmon by the EA). If it's not got a shell our local SFC don't want to know. Three small trawlers have been fishing the Dee right in the centre channel at low tide all year. They are targetting immature flounders. They are even discarding bigger fish dead because they can't be bothered cutting them up, it's easier just to slice across the back of a small one. The river has gone from one of the best angling venues in the North West to a complete waste of time.

Everything might be perfect where you are Wurzel, but it sure as hell isn't round here.

Disregard? No, that doesn't go anywhere near how I feel about these people.