rod/reel balance

Phone

We're at risk of apples and oranges again.

Tip heavy with the balance point where?

I'd always say that I want the rod sligbtly light in the tip with the balance point being my middle finger when I'm holding the rod. Like the pommel of a sword, this makes it easier to move the tip around.

The balance point will always be well above the reel seat even with the reel at it's furthest up the handle. If the balance point is to far down the rod it would feel very strange and not comfortable at all.

I thought you designed the balance point about 4 to 6 inches above the butt so that when holding the rod at the reel the end of the butt came up, lightly, under the elbow.

That's right BB, tip heavy, imagine it the rod was butt heavy, it would be very awkward to use, you'd have constant pressure on yer wrist trying to keep the tip down.

All,

Yup, Tigger and I have rod and reel the same. However, our way is not cast in stone. Some anglers like neutral and some even butt heavy.

The point is - always the same.

I have (had) a couple Fenwick E-glass rods that I always fished with 17lb mono line. That too made a difference.

Phone

All,

Yup, Tigger and I have rod and reel the same. However, our way is not cast in stone. Some anglers like neutral and some even butt heavy.

The point is - always the same.

I have (had) a couple Fenwick E-glass rods that I always fished with 17lb mono line. That too made a difference.

Phone

Blimey not many shark rods around here?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Long terms members will be aware that I have a muscle condition that means that on some days I don't have the strength to pick up a rod let alone use it. So for me it's vital I don't find a rod tiring to use, and I'm therefore more acutely aware of balance than others.

In my rod building days I tried a rod that I made to balance at the reel seat as commonly recommended. I actually found this more tiring to use. This was because the rod acted a bit like a see-saw.

So I'd suggest that you use a rod that balances a little bit higher than the reel seat. If it's OK for me it's likely to OK for the able-bodied.

• Like 1

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Long terms members will be aware that I have a muscle condition that means that on some days I don't have the strength to pick up a rod let alone use it. So for me it's vital I don't find a rod tiring to use, and I'm therefore more acutely aware of balance than others.

In my rod building days I tried a rod that I made to balance at the reel seat as commonly recommended. I actually found this more tiring to use. This was because the rod acted a bit like a see-saw.

So I'd suggest that you use a rod that balances a little bit higher than the reel seat. If it's OK for me it's likely to OK for the able-bodied.

Within reason, I've found that balance is more important than weight. I've found, as most have said, a pivot point just above the reel, is best, I've found around 2 to 3inches suits me. My old 13ft milbro enterprise, was very tip heavy, and I had to put about 6 or 7oz of lead in the butt to get the balance that suited me. This was back in the days when you could be stood up trotting for the whole of a 5-6 hour river match, even with the extra weight, the rod handled, and felt much better. The only match fishing equivalent I can think of today, except using a pole, is using a pellet waggler, and most of those rods are around 11ft.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John