Unusual fruit and veg

Ken L

I've managed to get a few pineapple guavas and saskatoons to germinate. Still waiting for signs from my pawpaws.

Looking to see how far along I can get them.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I've managed to get a few pineapple guavas and saskatoons to germinate. Still waiting for signs from my pawpaws.

Looking to see how far along I can get them.

Hope you can keep them during your next autumn...One of my mango seedlings karked it when the temperature fell to 12 C earlier this month.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

The Saskatoons are hardy to -40 so no real worries there. The Pineapple Guavas will apparently take -10 but they are from sub-tropical central America and will doubtless need some protection in their first winter.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

All,

Every year it seems more and more difficult to "import" seeds and stock. Many "exotics" are irradiated. Are other nations having the same difficulties. Almost every plant you have mentioned in this thread is on the "invasive" list. I guess FL and CA could support tropicals with enough irrigation?

GMO = fine - - - - BUT But but

Phone

Edit: exotic foods

Edited by Phone

All,

Every year it seems more and more difficult to "import" seeds and stock. Many "exotics" are irradiated. Are other nations having the same difficulties. Almost every plant you have mentioned in this thread is on the "invasive" list. I guess FL and CA could support tropicals with enough irrigation?

GMO = fine - - - - BUT But but

Phone

Edit: exotic foods

Had a smile about that; my brother visited me in NSW and, on returning to the UK, took seeds of white and blue agapanthus, seeds and cuttings of frangipani, cuttings of bougainvillea etc, etc. His reply to my query; they let in anything, these days...That was in 1997

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

We have very few bio-control measures in place beyond asking people not to import things.
Aus and NZ are different and I've been searched and had my boots irradiated on entry.
AFAIK, there is no routine irradiation of imported food and no-food items - although it would certainly reduce illegal immigration through the channel tunnel if we did...

We certainty don't want any unwelcome international visitors like Colorado beetles....

Had a smile about that; my brother visited me in NSW and, on returning to the UK, took seeds of white and blue agapanthus, seeds and cuttings of frangipani, cuttings of bougainvillea etc, etc. His reply to my query; they let in anything, these days...That was in 1997

I bought a olive tree back (about a foot high in a plastic bag),they asked what it was i told them its an olive tree and they let me through this was 1994.

Probably you could bring it back with 50 migrants hiding in it and they wouldnt care so long as they didnt have fags on them

This was from france not OZ

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hi Bob

When my cousin lived in Eucla she worked for the WA Department of Agriculture and Food. Her job was to keep the Queensland Fruit Fly out of WA.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I hope she had a big swatter!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I hope she had a big swatter!

I think it was in a holster on her hip. It would be a great job for you chesters. Eucla has a population of about 50 (43 when my cousin was there) and it was only about 700 clicks from the shops.

Queensland Fruit Fly is no laughing matter.

Better Plan Your Journey

Here’s a quick reference guide to help plan your journey in and around the Fruit Fly Exclusion Zone. Remember, you cannot take fruit or vegetables (eg capsicum, chilli, eggplant, tomatoes etc) over state borders into South Australia, New South Wales or Victoria and you must eat or dispose of fruit or fruiting vegetables before travelling through the Fruit Fly Exclusion Zone, the Greater Sunraysia Pest Free Area or the Riverina Protected Areas.

New South Wales

You cannot take fruit or fruiting vegetables into the Fruit Fly Exclusion Zone or Riverina

You cannot cross the state border from Victoria into New South Wales with fruit or vegetables unless accompanied by Plant Health Certification (for details, contact the Dept of Primary Industries)

You cannot take fruit or fruiting vegetables from Sydney to Broken Hill, Griffith, or Hay

Do not cross the state borders into Victoria or South Australia with fruit or fruiting vegetables

You can carry fruit and fruiting vegetables from Sydney to Dubbo or from Sydney to Wagga Wagga, provided your journey does not take you into the Fruit Fly Exclusion Zone at any time.

South Australia

You cannot bring fruit or vegetables over the state border into South Australia

Do not take fruit or fruiting vegetables over the state border into New South Wales (including Broken Hill) or Victoria

You must not to take fruit or fruiting vegetables into the Riverland or South Australian areas of the Fruit Fly Quaratine Zone (including Loxton, Morgan, Waikerie and Renmark), unless they were purchased within South Australia and are accompanied by an itemised shop receipt Plant Health Certification (contact PIRSA for details). Produce with receipts cannot be carried across state borders.

Victoria

Do not take fruit or fruiting vegetables over the state border into Victoria from South Australia or New South Wales

Do not take fruit or fruiting vegetables from Melbourne into the Fruit Fly Exclusion Zone or into the Greater Sunraysia Pest Free Area

Do not take fruit or fruiting vegetables across the border into New South Wales or South Australia.

There are some pretty hefty fines for breaking the rules.

Edited by corydoras
  • Like 1

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote