Skate Fishing

Norrie

Just to crank up Alan's adrenaline levels a little more, here are two skate on at once - and yes, I know the guy nearest the camera is breaking IGFA rules, but he IS an old man - only ten years younger than me :D:D:D

Posted Image

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Norrie:

[QB]QB]

Hi Norrie, all,

I thought I should try and learn a bit about these Skate and the tagging programme, take a good look at www.dholt.demon.co.uk, besides some nice pics there is a lot of text to read that for me was very informative.

The day I stop learning is the day they plant me.

Nice pic Vagabond, strange to be anchoring a boat stern first though :confused: :D:D:D and why was one guy greaking the rules?

Alan(nl)

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Anchored ?????

We were being towed !!!! and towed, as they say in Norfolk "Staarn faarst" :D:D

The guy nearest has strapped himself to the rail - strictly speaking not allowed by IGFA rules - which are apparently designed to give the fish a chance of pulling you overboard

RNLI Governor

Hiya,

Vagabond:

Davy - I know it sounds greedy, but any chance of a trip around the weekend 24/5 August?  - I've got all these tags to use up........... Even if not, we are in the area and would drop by Lochaline just to say "Hello" and have a chat about skate.

I fink we can manage that no problem :D:D

btw I had another blanker of a weekend :(

but at least I think I have found the problem.. ma bait... they seem to have went off mackerel.. probably cause they see that much of it down at Ronnies mark, where I was fishing yesterday. Tis a nice one and a half hour run from my usual hunting grounds, but I had to do the run to somewhere I know was fishing to see if my theory was correct. In the 4 hours I was there the two boats beside me had 6 skate between them all on the same bait, while my mackerel baits remaind untouched :-(

Oh talking about un touched I fishied my usual mark on Saturday and the baits were getting hammered by doggies and small spurs. I tried puting a vial of Ultrabite in one of my baits.. low and behold.. it was the only bait that wasn't touched.......

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Davy Holt:

Hiya,

Originally posted by Vagabond:

[qb]...

Hi Davy, all,

at least you got out, we have not had a trip for 2 weeks now due to weather. :rolleyes:

If Coalies are the in bait where do the other boats get them from?

I was going to say tight lines but it looks more like tight piano wire from the pics on here. :D

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan Taylor:

Alan Taylor:

Hiya,

Originally posted by Vagabond:

[qb]...

Hi Davy, all,

at least you got out, we have not had a trip for 2 weeks now due to weather. :rolleyes:

If Coalies are the in bait where do the other boats get them from?

I was going to say tight lines but it looks more like tight piano wire from the pics on here. :D

Alan(nl)

Hiya,

Yup it was nice to be back out on the water :-)

re the Coalies, the guy's had caught them down at a wreck in Luce bay last summer and had frozen them down to use for the trip.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Davy Holt:

... I tried puting a vial of Ultrabite in one of my baits.. low and behold.. it was the only bait that wasn't touched.......

My understanding of the stuff it that it is very concentrated and a little goes a long way - while a lot puts the fish off.

I seem to remember about 1-2 drops per pound of bait for instance (with boilies or groundbait that is). No idea how much for a live/dead bait but I imagine a vial to a single bait would be a wee small bit too much.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Many thanks for the offer of a trip out in August, Davy - will look forward to that.

Am off to Texas in a few days, and will E-Mail you when I get back.

Cheers

RNLI Governor

Vagabond - what are you gonna do in amongst all those Texicans? LOL

If you don't already have a good phrase book, check with Trogg. He is learning Redneck pretty good.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President