Bread is one of those baits that has caused a lot of controversy over the years because although the fish absolutely love it, there isn’t any real nutrition within the bread for them to eat bread only and stay healthy which is the reason that some fisheries have banned bread as a bait.
If you use bread sensibly as you would in your own food, there is no reason that it can’t be used as a hugely successful bait. One of the main problems with bread is that it is soft but lots of clever people over the years have developed different ways to use bread and harden it up a bit too.
The following method is not one we created and has been around for years but as new people are entering our sport every day there may be some out there that haven’t seen it yet or it could be that you have simply forgotten about the method.
Bread pellets are extremely easy to make and are very very effective. The general idea is to compress several bread discs together into a larger, firmer pellet which can then be hair rigged, cast further distances and withstands the pecking of smaller fish for longer.
The first thing you want to do is make your hair rig, now the size of your hair rig all depends on the species of fish that you want to catch but in this example we are making a rig that will catch anything from bigger roach through to tench, bream, chub and carp.
If you want to catch carp only for example then you could use 20lb fluoro and a size 2-4 hook.
size 10 Gardner Talon Tips on eBay here –> http://ebay.to/2rUtktC
10lb Gardner Zig Link on eBay here –> http://ebay.to/2rQzTlT
a size 8 Swivel
Korum Quickstops on eBay here –> http://ebay.to/2sPLUaL
To make the rig thread the zig link through the quickstop and make a figure of eight loop around it. Thread the line through the back of the eye on the tolon tip hook and create a knotless knot at the distance you want from the figure of eight loop and then finally tie the size 8 swivel on using a uni knot at the distance you want the hair to be.
To make the pellet plunger carefully cut the end off the clear plastic tube as straight as possible with a nice sharp knife. (the knife in the photo is a legal carry folding knife from Springfields Bushcraft and Survival and is a firm favourite of Anthony’s)
Making the pellets is as simple as pulling the purple part of the plunger up the clear tube about half way. Take a slice of bread and punch several discs of bread into the clear tube (5-8 is usually a good amount), then place your finger over the open end of the clear tube and firmly push the purple part of the plunger back into the clear piece, making sure that you keep your finger over the opening so that the bread discs all compress together.
Take the quickstop (if you have the matching quickstop needle use that otherwise just use a safety pin or something similar) and using a needle placed in the quickstop push it through the middle of the bread pellet, remove the needle and then turn the quickstop sideways and gently pull it tight against the top of the bread pellet.
You can use this hair rig with running legers, method feeders or even on a lift method set up the options are entirely up to you.
Here is the finished rig ready to attach to whatever method you wish to fish it with.
Sistema 1880 Storage Box, Plastic, 9.67 l, Light Blue, 16.00 x 36.00 x 24.00 cm
- Compact stackable food storage container
- Flexible seal helps keep food fresh
- Featuring distinctive Sistema KLIP IT easy locking clips
- BPA and phthalate free
- Dishwasher (top rack), microwave (without lid), fridge and freezer safe
h32 airtight storage container 30 Litre
- UN Tested For Leak And Impact...Very Strong Moulding
- Certified For Food Grade Storage And Transport
- 530mm High x 300mm Max diameter and x 250mm Wide opening
- Suitable For Stacking With Extremely Strong Lid
- Complete with two handles for easy movement
Pawaca 3D Skull Shape Shapes Black BPA Free Silicone Ice Cube Mold Tray with Lid Makes 4 Vivid Skulls, Perfect for Whiskey, Cocktail and Any Drink
- Safty: Professional quality ice cube tray is made from food grade, FDA Certified, BPA-free silicone). Harmless to human body. For microwave safe, oven safe, dishwasher safe.
- Great for party additive for fun: they last longer than conventional ice cubes and skull shape makes your parties stunning, large chioce for Halloween party, birthday, party, bars, restaurants, Summer, Holiday events and holiday gifts.
- Silicone Ice Cube holder will not crack or break such as stiff plastic moulds or bowls, easy to fill, easy to use, easy to clean.
- Easy to remove: The BPA-free silicone stays even when Gefrohrenen. So you can write a to solve your ice balls Particularly easily fall out of shape.
- Enter your drinks the cold: crystal detailed head shapes, the cool your drinks in style without water, durable ice cubes ideal for whiskey, cocktail, iced coffee, ice tea, fruit juice, soda pop and Cola.
Lock and Lock Rectangular Storage Container with Flip Top Lid, 1.8 L
- Air & Liquid tight
- Dishwasher & Microwave save
- 1.8 litre tall rectangular container with flip top lid
- Unique 4 sided locking system
iDesign Drawer Organiser, Long and Slim Plastic Kitchen Drawer Insert, Practical Drawer Organiser for Kitchen Accessories, Utensils and Cutlery, Clear
- Handy Insert: This cutlery holder and utensil tray slots right into the cutlery drawer and is ideal for storing forks, spoons and knives as well as other common accessories
- Easy Organisation: Not only does it allow for easy storage, but you can keep your cutlery drawer organised by using this versatile storage unit in your kitchen
- Secure Fit: The long utensil drawer organiser also comes equipped with non-skid feet, so you won’t have to worry about your kitchen drawer inserts moving around
- Ideal Size: With dimensions of 32.5 x 8.1 x 5.1 cm, this cutlery organiser can fit in your drawers comfortably while still offering ample space for storage
- Quality Materials: Made of durable plastic, this kitchen drawer insert is designed to be both visually appealing and easy to use, making it a dynamic addition to your kitchen