Top 2 rod sections stuck :-( HELP! :-)

philocalist

Anyone have any foolproof, safe idea's or methods for seperating a VERY fine rod tip section that is properly stuck? It's a push-over joint on a carbon rod - was a bit enthusiastic putting the two sections (back) together, after the top section departed mid-cast, and now no way no how can I get them apart - and both sections are so slim / delicate, they'll tolerate nothing heavy-handed :-(

philo,

It takes two guys so enlist the help of a buddy. Each of you should place one hand on each side of the connection and pull apart.

It's about the only way. You could add running hot water to the push over section (do it under the sink faucet with the water warming as it runs over that section so it doesn't crack). I've never had to use running hot water. But then I pre-date most carbon fiber.

Phone

The best way for one person to do it is:-

hold the rod behind your legs - one hand on each section - use your legs to force your arms apart

this has never failed me yet

Go stick them out in the sun in a sheltered spot.

Give it a try when they're nice and warm.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

DON'T tap the joint. You could create small hairline fractures in the carbon. Here's some ideas.

Here's a few things you can try to separate seized joints/spigots.

1: Try pouring hot water over the joint for a minute and then pour cold water over the joint. A good sharp twist should dislodge it. Sudden expansion/contraction might allow the sections to slip apart.
2: Tie some elastic band round the blank, on either side of the joint. This gives you something to grip.
3: Get someone to hold one section, firm and steady, while you twist the other section.
4: Wave the pole gently overhead, like a fly rod and try to separate again. This sometimes allows the 2 sections to come free.
5: Try a Teflon lubricant, like GT85, sprayed into the join. Allow to penetrate for 5 mins, wipe clean and then try again.

Once you have separated your rod, to prevent it seizing again, rub the spigot with a soft graphite pencil. Anything softer than a 2B is ideal.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• 3 months later...

Welll ..... I've just witnessed a bit of magic! ... well, yesterday, actually :yahoo:

Although this topic was posted a couple of months ago I thought I would update it / finish it off, as I've just learned a new trick that seperated the two rod sections within about 5 seconds, with virtually ZERO application of force ... though it took THREE people to achieve this!

So: 3 months later, the tip and adjacent section were still firmly attached; no amount of tugging had any effect, heat and cold made no difference at all, and black magic, sacrifice, Marigolds and voodoo were all a waste of time, but a mate (the manager of a large local tackle shop) reckoned he might have a way to fettle it, so off I went.

Unfortunately, his ploy was a slightly different play on involving two people trying to part the two sections, and the pieces remain firmly welded together ... just as another customer was leaving the shop.

'Ahhhhh ... hang on', he says, and less than 5 seconds later, the rod is back in two sections in the safest, least stressfull way I could possibly imagine!

Bearing in mind these sections / tip were VERY fine diameter ... he got one person to take a firm, careful grip on one section, maybe 5 or 6 inches back from the join, and the other person to do the same on the other section. Between them, they then exerted a VERY gentle, STRAIGHT pull away from each other (as though trying to seperate the joint; NO twisting at all, and very, VERY little pulling being done ........

He reaches forward with his index finger and taps gently over the joint - downwards 3 or 4 times, then a couple of upward flicks with his fingertip .....

Now, this guy was NOT Uri Gellar ... the pressure behind these taps was very gentle - no more than I use one-finger typing ... and the sections just slipped apart, simple as that, no drama, no fuss and no chance at all of a break ... three of us stood there totally bemused, I've got two sections again ... and he vanished with a smile before I could even say 'Thank you' properly!

Now that I think it over, I understand how it worked (I think), simply by allowing the vacuum to break, that was preventing the sections come apart ... SO simple, now that I know how ... hope this might help someone else out somewhere! :D

Although this topic was posted a couple of months ago I thought I would update it / finish it off, as I've just learned a new trick that seperated the two rod sections within about 5 seconds, with virtually ZERO application of force ... though it took THREE people to achieve this!

Now that I think it over, I understand how it worked (I think), simply by allowing the vacuum to break, that was preventing the sections come apart ... SO simple, now that I know how ... hope this might help someone else out somewhere! :D

So: now you can only go fishing with a minimum of two mates. :D

Have you put the rod together again yet? :sneaky2:

That's a good trick to know.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.