New style rings - huge improvement

Newt

If you build rods, having one built, or just re-ringing a favourite rod, you might want to consider using Recoil Guides.

A bit pricey but well worth it as they are lighter since they don't need a lining and can be bent or flexed repeatedly without damage. Ice in the rings when winter fishing, just twist the ring to clear it. They are made with some sort of nickel/titanium alloy that has ideal properties for making rod rings.

They've been a bit out of my price range but several friends who are using them are delighted. Extra casting distance, improve with use (the line apparently polishes the surface to make it slicker over time), never bend or break off, won't corrode, and lighter weight. Who could ask for more.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care how good they are. They're awful mate. They look exactly the same as the rings you used to get on Winfield starter rods...the cheapest rings you could buy no less. Surely they could have made them look a little more aesthetic? All they'd do is make a very good rod look extremely cheap and tacky and no amount of salesmanship is going to help you sell a rod on if people believe they're the cheapest rings available. Awful.....simply awful. Another good idea badly implemented.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

They may be handy for travel rods or ice fishing where rings need to survive being bent and bashed but I agree that they look NASTY and they will groove very quickly because even with some very high tech coatings, nickel/titanium alloy is not a hard material.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Just goes to show how folk can have different opinions.....I think they're brilliant.

Traditional simple design with no more support than necessary and no need for rings to be lined. A set of the spinning rings on my trotting rod would do very nicely thanks.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

The only pre-built rods I've seen them on are high end, high performance (and for the US, high priced) ones.

If I'm shopping for a present for my wife, I want pretty. If I'm buying a rod, I want performance.

Evidently some anglers have other priorities. If you really feel that ceramic lined (heavier, fairly inflexible, may corrode) is better because it looks nice, go for it. Fuji does some nice looking and high quality ones.

As to their being too soft - since the company hadn't shared exactly what else is alloyed into the metal, we have no idea how hard or abrasion resistant they are. The company that makes them sells nothing other than rod fittings and this is the only ring they offer so if I were a betting man, I'd bet on durable.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

A re-run of ABU's zoom rings of the 1060's.

1060?....you'd have thought ring technology would have moved on in nearly a 1000 years.... :headhurt:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

The only pre-built rods I've seen them on are high end, high performance (and for the US, high priced) ones.

If I'm shopping for a present for my wife, I want pretty. If I'm buying a rod, I want performance.

Evidently some anglers have other priorities. If you really feel that ceramic lined (heavier, fairly inflexible, may corrode) is better because it looks nice, go for it. Fuji does some nice looking and high quality ones.

As to their being too soft - since the company hadn't shared exactly what else is alloyed into the metal, we have no idea how hard or abrasion resistant they are. The company that makes them sells nothing other than rod fittings and this is the only ring they offer so if I were a betting man, I'd bet on durable.

Nobody is denying they might be brilliant rings Newt but they could at least have put some effort into the look of the rings. You say you want performance from your tackle. What if say, the highest performance reel you could afford to buy for yourself was bright pink? Would you still tell yourself looks mean nothing?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

I am forever adjusting the silly single leg guides on my float rod after knocks, so for that purpose at least, and depending upon durability and price, these would be a huge improvement. A black coating would be nice.

Geoff

I've been using recoils on fly rods for about 3 years and must have built a dozen rods with them.

The light weight is a definite plus for fly rods and I haven't seen or heard of grooving problems so performance wise I can't really fault them.

Having said that the single foots don't look too bad but the double foot guides are seriously ugly, they do look cheap and nasty.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/RE...g-Casting-Guide

Personally, I would go for performance over looks and if you want to spend £600.00 on a trout rod then Loomis apparently agree with me :rolleyes:

These are the guides I will be using on my next project, the 1.75lb TC fibreglass rods.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Ot...gle-Foot-Guides

They are lined with a type of very hard stainless, much lighter and stronger than ceramic.

I have them on a 14' float rod and they are the DBs.

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/