Elton, Norrie bought a boat!!!!!!!

Guest NickInTheNorth

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, unladen the front end of the trailer is weightless, the outfit is balanced right over the centre of the axle...NOT very safe! I had a spare old engine from the guy so we stored that in the front end of the cabin which kept it a bit safer on the road...towbars are after all designed to be pused down, not up! the fuel tank in the back wasnt full and nothing else was in it. Its probably an hour or two work to move the axle, hopefully it wont be too hard, the trailer is in very good nick so the bolts should just loosen off and let the frame slide back with a gentle tap of a hammer. ill try a foot and see how the weight is at the front. Im going to take it onto loch lomond this saturday to get used to the controls, electronics, handling etc, and to get a few good pictures too. Anyone got a plough anchor about 10lbs and some chain (20ft about 1/4 inch)??? Ive got a fortress anchor which id rather keep as a spare, its a bit poo!

Glasgow Dan, The Johnstones that I have are all 2 stroke,tho' they are all smaller 6hp and 10hp ones,they use unleaded with 2 stroke mix at about 50/1 mix....any probs, pm me ...I'll be here all night....

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Dan,

You need to buy some two stroke oil to mix with the fuel.

On the bottle somewhere there is normaly a scale, it will tell you how much oil to put in, depending on the ratio you need, like Norrie says, on that beast, it will proberbly be 50/1.

Be a good idea to check the gear box oil too.

Has the engine been serviced lately?

Carry a spare shear pin or two just in case you need one at some point.

Tape them inside the engine cover.

yy

So Norrie will I need a lock on the fridge door in the caravan?

Am going to Freddies house this Friday so will see what the crack is about a tractor launch when you come down :cool:

I am sure we will get some fish. You will have to ask Manxman about the boat marks to try.

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Glasgowdan:

so you mean you put a drop of oil in the tank too?

If its a two stroke,yes,but, it might be an autolube engine too,in that case there will be a small tank for the oil to go in....it should say something on the engine cover, or inside it...mibbes best to phone the chap you got it from....but dont put fuel in it till you know for definate....two stroke oil can be got at any garage. As I say, any probs, pm me...I'll try and help ...

Theocritis..

• 4 weeks later...

Took the boat out yesterday for her first trip on the water......launched it at Buckhaven...nice flat sea...started up the engine, and warmed it up nicely...so decided to go for a run before fishing...I was aboard with my mate Mick whom some of you know...and Alan, my next door neighbour who has been kind enough to lend a hand getting her ready for the water...we decided to head up past Methill and have a bash off Leven beach...it was then that I discovered how bleedin fast this boat is...my bottle went at 47 knots. .....there was still plenty left on the throttle.....This is a journey of normally about 20-25 mins in the wee dinghy with a 10hp o/b....on the MaryB it took about 5 mins....and it definately installs a feeling of confidence in being a good seaboat....We fished at Leven for a few mins, then I got bored again...a bit of NBS had set in...New Boat Syndrome.....so we set off again....another few miles ,then stopped again....for a few mins again....then decided we needed a move.....another few miles....then fish for a couple of mins....then out behind the Oil Platform which is mothballed in the Forth...Mick says..." Youre not going ALL the way out there are you"...so I asked if he wanted off. :rolleyes: ....where guess who got a wee codling of about 3lbs......yep....ME.....then off to East Wemyss....nothing there....then back to Buckhaven...with one fish aboard....what a great day.....the boat goes like a dream...AND I got the first fish to come aboard.....it wasnt really a fishing trip, but I had to have an excuse for taking her out.....the only downer on the day was a wheel bearing went on the way home., but we had spares....so it was changed in double quick time....got home after 10pm last night...tired and,filthy but VERY happy...... :D:D:D

[ 12. June 2005, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

Theocritis..