Thames Estuary Cod Fishing

Elton

Gutted! Why do things always conspire against me?

I was out fishing last night and Dave Barham from Boat Fishing Monthly rang me. Apparently, Terry Batt's boat was catching BIG cod yesterday, into the 20's, and lots of them. Things had been quiet, with the cod preoccupied on sprats, but it seems they've decided they fancy a bit of squid now!

Anyway, there must have been a cancellation, as Dave now has the whole boat to himself today and asked if I wanted to come along.

Trouble is, I can't, as I'm looking after the kids all day :wallbash: I can't believe it - a free boat trip on a beautiful day with the likelihood of some big fish....and I had to say "No"! :(

I'll let you know if I hear from him today, and also another forum member I know who's out in the same area(ish).

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Gutted! Why do things always conspire against me?

I was out fishing last night and Dave Barham from Boat Fishing Monthly rang me. Apparently, Terry Batt's boat was catching BIG cod yesterday, into the 20's, and lots of them. Things had been quiet, with the cod preoccupied on sprats, but it seems they've decided they fancy a bit of squid now!

Anyway, there must have been a cancellation, as Dave now has the whole boat to himself today and asked if I wanted to come along.

Trouble is, I can't, as I'm looking after the kids all day :wallbash: I can't believe it - a free boat trip on a beautiful day with the likelihood of some big fish....and I had to say "No"! :(

I'll let you know if I hear from him today, and also another forum member I know who's out in the same area(ish).

:D Sods law. I'm trying to get out as the weather's good on good tides and the boats are either full so no room, or they're not booked, so not going out. Next week when there are spaces the tides are not so good and I bet the weather's c**p. :angry:

Dave had caught 8 cod in the 5lb bracket when he texted earlier, about an hour after getting to his mark.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

I ended up catching 15 cod in the 4lb to 7lb bracket - there were 32 cod caught on the boat between three of us - it was top sport! There were massive shoals of sprats swimming under the boat, and the only reason we caught the fish that we did was because they had their heads down feeding on hermit crabs! I guess they'd had enough of the all-fish diet! I could see loads of cod about 20ft off the bottom just under the sprat shoals though, so there are plenty of cod in the Thames! :P

I ended up catching 15 cod in the 4lb to 7lb bracket - there were 32 cod caught on the boat between three of us - it was top sport! There were massive shoals of sprats swimming under the boat, and the only reason we caught the fish that we did was because they had their heads down feeding on hermit crabs! I guess they'd had enough of the all-fish diet! I could see loads of cod about 20ft off the bottom just under the sprat shoals though, so there are plenty of cod in the Thames! :P

Well done dave nice to hear there is some decent cod fishing in the Thames been some crackers of the shore up here this winter one cod over 20lb and a few around that size we had a great days wrecking on saturday out again tommorow hoefull if the weather is ok.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Sounds like Good fishing Elton. No wonder your gutted mate. Glad to see the big fish have turned up down there too. Theres been lots of Double figure fish of the shore up here this Autumn. Never masses of fish but some bloody good ones up to 20 pounds.

Hopefully youll get a bit of the action soon.

Spoke to another forum member today, who was out on his boat with his brother and seemed to be doing well, with a couple of doubles and quite a few other decent cod.

A few are going out tomorrow, too, but I'd already committed to a beach trip. I probably won't catch much (not a fan of daytime beach fishing), but a social is nice sometimes :)

Spoke to another forum member today, who was out on his boat with his brother and seemed to be doing well, with a couple of doubles and quite a few other decent cod.

A few are going out tomorrow, too, but I'd already committed to a beach trip. I probably won't catch much (not a fan of daytime beach fishing), but a social is nice sometimes :)

I won't send you frequent photo texts of all the fish we are catching tomorrow. Honest. And I won't phone you to tell you that I've got to go because I've got another bite, either. I promise. :D:D:D

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Don't keep this to yourselves.

Celebrate the two year classes of IVc and VIId cod which have procreated successfully.

Then wait for 95% (CEFAS) to be caught before spawning and wait another 18 years for the same, like I have.

I gather the 'black fleet' is also having a few and able to sell it via various distributors/consumers ...

a local wet fish shop nearby is being supplied by his brother (an Under-10) ...

'supply and demand', eh?

Quotas? Wassat mean?

<_<

Don't keep this to yourselves.

Celebrate the two year classes of IVc and VIId cod which have procreated successfully.

Then wait for 95% (CEFAS) to be caught before spawning and wait another 18 years for the same, like I have.

I gather the 'black fleet' is also having a few and able to sell it via various distributors/consumers ...

a local wet fish shop nearby is being supplied by his brother (an Under-10) ...

'supply and demand', eh?

Quotas? Wassat mean?

<_<

:lol: Tell Southern Sea Fisheries and I expect they'll say" Sorry, we're not back to work until the 5th of January". :angry: