Good line for trotting

Anderoo

As far as I'm aware, fish have better eyesight than I do so I'm fairly sure they can see any line, no matter how 'clear' it is. Anyway, I think this is one of those subjects where we can be accused of anthropomorphism. Just because a fish can see a line, does it equate that line as something dangerous?

We're not talking about the difference between brown mono and HI-VIZ yellow braid here. We're talking about very thin diameter mono for trotting.

What about light, the colour of the water, the movement of the water itself, suspended substrate, detritus, algae and all the other variables that make a difference on what the fish can or cannot see.

Besides, you asked, "What makes you so sure?" with regards to whether fish can see better than us humans. If it's the case that they, in fact, don't see better than us, then there's no point in using clear mono then, is there, so you defeated you're own point that it does make a difference.

Let's just say for arguments sake they can't see better than us, the line we use would make no difference at all, so you're arguing with yourself.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I'm aware, fish have better eyesight than I do so I'm fairly sure they can see any line, no matter how 'clear' it is. Anyway, I think this is one of those subjects where we can be accused of anthropomorphism. Just because a fish can see a line, does it equate that line as something dangerous?

We're not talking about the difference between brown mono and HI-VIZ yellow braid here. We're talking about very thin diameter mono for trotting.

What about light, the colour of the water, the movement of the water itself, suspended substrate, detritus, algae and all the other variables that make a difference on what the fish can or cannot see.

Besides, you asked, "What makes you so sure?" with regards to whether fish can see better than us humans. If it's the case that they, in fact, don't see better than us, then there's no point in using clear mono then, is there, so you defeated you're own point that it does make a difference.

Let's just say for arguments sake they can't see better than us, the line we use would make no difference at all, so you're arguing with yourself.

Always better to be "fairly sure" than "certain" Andy. :P

A lot of my time spent trotting has been on clear rivers for fish that have been seen and done it, but i have found my better days trotting have often come on days with a bit of colour in the water, even with clear line. However I'm also "fairly sure" that when the water is clear my results have shown me clear line is better and Ive always found results from testing better than scientific guess work.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Always better to be "fairly sure" than "certain" Andy. :P

A lot of my time spent trotting has been on clear rivers for fish that have been seen and done it, but i have found my better days trotting have often come on days with a bit of colour in the water, even with clear line. However I'm also "fairly sure" that when the water is clear my results have shown me clear line is better and Ive always found results from testing better than scientific guess work.

I always used to think the less visible the line the better but I've had the same results wether the lines been slightly brown green or clear in coloured or clear water conditions. I don't know if it'll make a difference targeting Barbs when trotting but I intend to fing out this coming summer. I think fish must be able to see all lines so maybe a line with a dull greenish tinge is ok or even a slightly brownish ting maybe looking like a bit of weed so not spooking the fish. I reckon it's gotta depend on the waters pressure from anglers or maybe how hungry the fish are to determine how line/hook shy they are. Also the diameter/feel of the line must come into it at times.

I'm not a great beleaver in colour of lines being important ,except in very specific situations where the fish will be up close and personal with the bait and might assosiate the lines colour with danger

i beleave that fish will focus there attention firmly on the target and be transfixed on the bait first and foremost ,especially when your trotting ,as the bait will be moving and they will probably only get one chance to nail it.

The best trotting line by far is ultima's flo-cast ,which is specifically designed to float ,being hollow it does this extreamly well ,it also casts very smoothly & mends very well as it picks up off the water with ease.

the colour is a light pink by the way ,not that it matters

i always fish with a hooklink of a lesser b/s

it lowest b/s is 4lbs though ,not a problem for me as i very rarely fish finner than this ,never had problems catching fish with mainlines between 4lb & 6lbs

flow cast can be found on e-bay Here

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I'm not a great beleaver in colour of lines being important ,except in very specific situations where the fish will be up close and personal with the bait and might assosiate the lines colour with danger

i beleave that fish will focus there attention firmly on the target and be transfixed on the bait first and foremost ,especially when your trotting ,as the bait will be moving and they will probably only get one chance to nail it.

The best trotting line by far is ultima's flo-cast ,which is specifically designed to float ,being hollow it does this extreamly well ,it also casts very smoothly & mends very well as it picks up off the water with ease.

the colour is a light pink by the way ,not that it matters

i always fish with a hooklink of a lesser b/s

it lowest b/s is 4lbs though ,not a problem for me as i very rarely fish finner than this ,never had problems catching fish with mainlines between 4lb & 6lbs

flow cast can be found on e-bay Here

Looks interesting, just ordered a spool of 6lb and 4lb to try on both a pin and closed face reel. Thanks for the info. I have been trying out fireline which is ok on an avon rod with a heavy float but drags too much on the rings for my liking on a match rod.

• 10 months later...
No

What makes you so sure?

Yes

I tagged on to the end of this topic as the Drennan Floatfish I normally rely on has failed on 2 breaking strains after just one season. All we look for is a supple floating line of a good diameter for a given strength and one you can count on not to break long before it should. Float fish was THE one to have but now I have doubts. Perhaps it just got too hot in my loft but as far as I know line deteriorates quickest with sunlight. My Fox and Daiwa thin lines are still ok but not so good at floating

I tagged on to the end of this topic as the Drennan Floatfish I normally rely on has failed on 2 breaking strains after just one season. All we look for is a supple floating line of a good diameter for a given strength and one you can count on not to break long before it should. Float fish was THE one to have but now I have doubts. Perhaps it just got too hot in my loft but as far as I know line deteriorates quickest with sunlight. My Fox and Daiwa thin lines are still ok but not so good at floating

Just to keep things up to date, Drennan Floatfish is, in my opinion, bl@@dy awful as a trotting line, more memory than an elephant and snaps like a crocodile. B)

I still insist on Daiwa Sensor and Double Strength as two lines that are consistently good for my style of fishing but I may try some more next season just to experiment a bit more!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I dunno why Drennan Floatfish was ever rated I've always thougt it was crap.

Not sure about it being the same line as Bayer Perlon either which never let me down. Floatfish snapped like Cotton in all three of the breaking strains I tried it in, just couldn't get on with it at all.

Edited by Rob Ward

I've used Fireline on my pins for quite a few years and switched to Fireline Crystal when it came out 2/3 years back. Floats - easy to mend and great pick up at distance when long trotting - also as tough as old boots....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

i'd agree on fireline crystal braid ,i switched too it from Power Pro braid when it first came out ,i use the ultima flo-cast stuff when braid isnt allowed and i use ultima mist gray mono when lighter than 4lbs is needed .

drennen floatfish & diawa sensor are ok .i just prefer the ultima mono's as they seem better .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve