Self-Defence on the bank

Gaffer

I'd rather spend me cash on fishin gear than butchers gear.

If i where going to take a defencive weapon on a fishin trip the best one for size and ease to conceal is a can of cs gas or a stun gun, cheap, cheerfull and effective.

At the end of the day you could always just use your knuckle buttee.

Tigger.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian i have been yes but it was a long time back well before they built the Treboche.

Might have to make a trip down there next year

I love the timelapse footage of the building of it.

I'm thinking of making a miniture version for the likes of Gaffer and Wordybendy...imagine how far you could get the boilies

OOPS sorry Gaffer i've ever so slightly hijacked your thread.

Sorry mate.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Click Here for Trebuchet fun.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I have never had any bad experiences to speak of, but would be very interested to read an article on self defense for anglers.

If it could include ways to defend yourself if confronted with a group of people (which generally seems to be peoples biggest worry) then that would be excellent.

Running away is always an option, but if you don't earn a lot of money and have no insurance, angling gear can be EXTREMELY expensive to replace.

It would be good to know if options other than running away or whacking people with mag lights exist.

Good luck with the article Garth

DR

"It would be good to know if options other than running away or whacking people with mag lights exist."

I've been involved in the martial arts for over twenty years and whilst it is possible to lock people up or tweak their nervous systems to control them in a dojo, nothing comes close to the reliability of repeatedly hitting them as hard as you can before they get the chance to do it to you for reliable and repeatable results.

I have restrained people who were swinging at me by joint locking without striking them first, but doing this in a live situation takes a lot of practice (I hold black belt grades in both Aikido and Ju-Jitsu) and a fair bit of luck. Far better to smak them in the face and then start grappleing.

As for pressure points. Don't believe the hype. The only pressure point knockout that I've ever seen work on the street was the tip of the jaw - applied with a fist or an elbow.

Just a quick edit to point out that a finger tip to the eyeball also works, but Mr Plod tends to get upset - obviously, eyball juice is hard to get off a uniform and hospitals make for more paperwork

[ 17. October 2005, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Ken L ]

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken L:

I've been involved in the martial arts for over twenty years....

(I hold black belt grades in both Aikido and Ju-Jitsu) ...

{Elton makes mental note to self: don't pee Ken off}

:D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Nah, it takes a very special kind of idiot to pee me off to the point where I'm the one who starts the fists flying. Last time was a nice young man who was in the process of breaking into my fathers car with a window bar. I caught him red handed and as I could see there was no damage, I told him to "go away" or words to that effect. Unbelievably, he tried telling me it was his mates car and I just lost it......

Other than that, I only hit paying customers.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.