Self-Defence on the bank

Gaffer

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

self defence in general is a bit of a dodgy concept, by standing up to potential attackers you're putting yourself in no end of danger, best to just run away, or give them what they want, what's the point trying to confront an assailant when you're likely to end up getting hurt, there's been a lot of bravado shown on this thread, all of it nonsense.

Only today a client was telling me about forign fish thieves raiding his local still water, on a regular basis, and stealing 20-30 carp at a time - for selling on to restaurants they think.

This in not just about stealing fish for the table, as some might have you believe, this is organisd crime - they are stealing fish to line their pockets.

just lost it hmmmmmm! ive trained in muay thai both heer and in thailand for the last 10 years and have to say that it is the best and practical form of taking sombody down hard with out any major damage!

but why bother! good old mag lite is probly the best bit of kit when alone and in the dark faced with being out numbered! dazzle and smack! also in a court of law it is very easy to make a case for self defence! and i thought this thread was about self defence and not administering street justice!

but dont think u can beat the if in doubt get the f**k out method! no shame in that, maybe tackle insurance would be the best form of defence?

jeepster:

self defence in general is a bit of a dodgy concept, by standing up to potential attackers you're putting yourself in no end of danger, best to just run away, or give them what they want, what's the point trying to confront an assailant when you're likely to end up getting hurt, there's been a lot of bravado shown on this thread, all of it nonsense.

Have to agree in principal with Jeepster. Fighting nutters intent on nicking your kit is not a clever or safe move unless you're super angler with some kind of mental powers!

I'm not tho, but luckily a i'm big, bearded bloke, with a shaven head, in fact I look more likely to nick your kit!! So don't tend to have much agro! Not yet anyway!

[ 17. October 2005, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Scopex ]

"Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Interesting topic. I faced thugs on many occasions during my working life in England. I am only 5'4" and I have faced thugs over 6' on many, many occasions. I was once kicked unconscious by a lout who the police did not think it was 'worth prosecuting'! I used to use a three cell Maglite which I still have. When faced with a scum of the earth lout and you know that there is trouble - STRIKE FIRST WITHOUT WARNING!! The collar bone area is best. My son once had all his top of the range Carp Gear stolen by a drug addict while he was night fishing. The Police did not want to know, fortunately we got a lead and took along some heafty friends and recovered ALL his gear.

Incidentally, at 5'4" I was obviously not a copper - I was a Paramedic!!! I am now living safely in Canada. Best of luck with this project.

Ron

Scopex:

I'm not tho, but luckily a i'm big, bearded bloke, with a shaven head, in fact I look more likely to nick your kit!! So don't tend to have much agro! Not yet anyway!

Ere you just described me........gutted i thought i was the only shaven headed bearded bloke..oh hold on sorry i'm the only totally raving big bearded bloke with a shaven head....phew i was getting worried then.

Wonder if Gaffer is begining to regret starting this thread yet?? LOL.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

My Judo Instructor always advocated a sharp downwards stamp on the outside of an attackers knee as reliable way of putting someone off the idea of attacking you.

his reasoning being that if their legs don't work they won't be chasing you ;-)

Mat

Mat

Mat Hillman:

My Judo Instructor always advocated a sharp downwards stamp on the outside of an attackers knee as reliable way of putting someone off the idea of attacking you.

How do you stamp *downwards* on someone's knee, unless they're conveniently lying on the ground already? :confused: