Anglersnet. skate bash.

spasor

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davy?

OK. I`ll be the boats mascot. Just don`t try to tie me to the bows!!

If I have to do every trip, that means someone looking after Jessie.

Now I`ll have to build another bloody house?

:D:D:D:D:D

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Norm B:

it was posted tonight, along with most of the others, enjoy, cheers, Norman. :cool:
It just arrived, looks like I may be a little late for work :D In my haste I ripped one of the stamps :(

Nice one Dave and crew, looking forward to showing the lads and lasses:-)

The sea angling News team top looks the dogs dooh daas, Norrie snaffle one for me mate (medium) :D:D

Alan :)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Hi all

The article in BFM makes no mention of me being Skate expert and i certainly wouldn't consider myself one. It clearly states we are visitors to the area as a change of fishing for my regulars. It is by invitation only

The article was written by proffessional journalist Phil williams and i had no say in the wording.

Regards the 8 ft trace. We used to fish 70 braid with a 12 ft leader and found the leader knots caused nothing but tangles and the leader was unnecessary.

The 8 ft trace is so the tail of the fish is well away from the main line. I had 64 fish on my boat in awlful weather conditions with wind and rain most days.

63 of them were hooked in the scissors. and one was deep but i managed to retrieve it. The reason for this is because we fish Tippy rods with good bite detection and i encourage the anglers to hit the fish early. It obviously works as I averaged three fish a day in some horrendous weather, when the conditions dictated where we could fish, not were we wanted to.

With all bottom fishing the longer traces encourasge more bites as it creates more movement when there is tide flow which is a turn on for any preditory fish.

In some area they fish 20 ft traces for Tope and Pollack

I love visiting the Loch Aline area, because it is special and like to feel we leave the fish in the same condition that we find them.

We lost the 5 traces in all, one to a fish and four from snagging bottom. Regards hooks in fish one of my anglers once gutted a 30 pound conger and there was 6 hooks in its gut of varying degrees of decay. It obviously causes them no harm

Regards how many fish i personally caught,I probably hooked about 20 of the fish but didn't wind any in. Do you think I am a masochist?

Details of the trip, with day to day stats can be found on my website.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Ian, Great report, looks like a good time was had by all,I'm certainly no skate expert, but I'm learning all the time, tho' with a rather unaproachable tutor. :rolleyes: Loved the bit about the TLD blowing up, :D Sandtiger got his 195lber on the same reel, and especially liked the 624, I've got one too, and have been slagged a wee bit cos of it .

Looking forward to Friday, and hopefully we will have another great day. :D:D who buys the first pint....

Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hello Ian. I wasn`t having a go at you, when I described yourself as the local skate expert. But that`s the way the `glossies` tend to pitch their articles? "Our correspondent, was on the trip"!

BFM must have been worried last November, they had another skate article re: sound of Mull.

2 boats, 3 anglers per vessel. At the same time myself and Davy Holt outfished them by ourselves over the same time span. :D:D I`m no skate expert either!! It`s mostly down to Davys` expertise. At least Jim Whippy put my pic in the next edition. :cool:

Don`t you believe Norrie isn`t becoming a skate expert. He can weigh a skate by sight!! And he`s never far off the mark.

Have a good trip on Friday. Sorry I can`t make it.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Davey, Some expert, how come I didnt know the 195lb er from the bite, tho' exhaustion might have something to do with it.... :(:rolleyes::(

Does that mean that all those years of Davy's research goes out the window, and the NFSA will take a NorrieScale as a guarantee..... :D

[ 28. June 2004, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

Theocritis..

quote:

Originally posted by Norrie:

[QBLooking forward to Friday, and hopefully we will have another great day. :D:D who buys the first pint.... ;)

Norrie [/QB]

Hi Norrie

Lets hope the weather changes. It's been awful with just one day in the last fortnight below a force 6. Its blxxdy frustrating as we have been to our best Tope grounds just three times in the whole of June.

It might be an idea if you bring a Carp rod or light spinning rod for the Pollack if we can't get out to the Tope, as there are only a few inshore at the moment. I have plenty of spares rods and reels let me know if you require any.

I am looking forward to meeting you all.

Are you up Thurday night? cos mines a Guiness :):)

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Ian, We are driving down on Friday morning,and staying the same night, will definately need at least one uptider rod. See you on Friday morning. :D

Theocritis..