What exotics have shown up this year ?

Ken L

I heared of a small tuna taken just off the Devon coast earlier in the year but that's about it.

Have there been any other odd catches that I've missed this year ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

local skipper Mike Watson found the remains of a sun fish in Lochryan the other night whilst shore walking

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

report on the bbc website of a kid being squashed by a sunfish aboard a boat the other day, can't find the link now, but it's their somewhere if you're interested

I found this about last years oddities and was wondering if this year could come close.

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/News2004.htm

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Sunfish have been around for many years - regularly see them in the Bristol Channel, just not many caught on rod and line. Had this pic sent to me from a mate (Fudd) fishing out of Minehead in July this year

Posted Image

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

my mate chunky caught it on worm and squid it was hooked fairly in the mouth

which is strange for a plankton eater

after a quick wieghing 47lbs was returned to float off down the channel

we saw at least 5 more that day all of which were bigger than this one, the biggest the skipper estimated at around 65lb

does anyone know how big they actually grow??

Fudd,

the ocean sunfish, as in the picture, (mola mola) is the largest `bony' fish in the world. biologists believe it can reach weights in excess of two ton (5,500 lb). The largest recorded was, I believe, just over 3,400 lb and 12ft from fin tip to fin tip.