sea fishing vs freshwater

iggy

as subject is peoples choice, but i reckon freshwater fisherman cause more harm to fish than us sea fishers, in a pond same fish day in and out, sea fishing i would say 80% of fish is kept just me but?
WRONG,i have seen hundreds of pounds of sea fish caught by sea anglers wasted.Catch an undersized whiting,codling etc.throw it back,does it swim away?9 out of 10 times no,it floats away in the tide belly up.I've seen match weigh ins of hundreds of pounds of dogfish which have nearly all died even when they were returned to the sea.I've seen sea anglers rip hooks out of flounders throats because they've swallowed the hook and wrasse killed because they've been reeled in that fast their swim bladders have blown.I'm not saying that all freshwater anglers are angels or all sea anglers disregard their quarry but in my experience most freshwater anglers try and look after the fish they catch.I have been a sea angler aswell as a freshwater angler for over 20 years and have never seen an unhooking mat for a bass/ray or cod.Yes some freshwater fish do caught more than once(a sea fish doesn't get the chance)so doesn't that prove that they're not suffering that badly.. Edited by wellyphant

You're opening a whole new can of worms here Iggy. :crazy:

For my sins I fish for sea fish and fresh water Trout. I keep what I catch (if sizable of course) and all of what I keep is dispatched quickly. Now here's the rub. Myself personally I stay away from carp lakes and the likes. Carp, Tench and the likes (not skimmers, aquatic cows yuk!) are top draw scrappers and as such have built a kind of respect within me. I come over all fluffy and want to klinik them all. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy course fishing and my son and I enjoy some quailty father son time when we're water side. I just prefer not seeing a fish with black spots on its lip or with the outer mouth detached through rough handling. Some thing I've seen on match lakes a lot. Not having a go before anyone starts. I's an observation that's all. I understand when money and honour come into the game things change.

As for your opening statement I kind of agree and disagree with you. You will find that there are wrong uns within all branchings of our sport, but 98% of all fisherman / women have a love and respect for their quary and its surroundings. For my own part in this great sport of ours, I prefer not to repeatedly go for the same fish in the same lake.

Tight lines.

squibs

Edited by squibs
Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

Its your choice ....

I reckon I keep 10% of my sea catches.

Then again I don't return sizeable fish which I don't think have a chance of recovery.

I do put the occasional 4lbs plaice back, though!

13march3-13-0returned.jpg

That's my choice. Catch 'em first!

And so does my fishy pal, Paul ....

12marchpaul2.jpg

:rolleyes:

as subject is peoples choice, but i reckon freshwater fisherman cause more harm to fish than us sea fishers, in a pond same fish day in and out, sea fishing i would say 80% of fish is kept just me but?

Well I reckon the sea anglers are the worse offenders - its just my opinion though through 45 years of observation having fished both freshwater and sea - and still do both :rolleyes:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

So you kill 80% of what you catch and I kill 0% of what I catch (from rivers cos I rarely fish ponds).

Now remove your rose tinted glasses and tell me which one of us two is harming more fish?

• 2 weeks later...
WRONG,i have seen hundreds of pounds of sea fish caught by sea anglers wasted.Catch an undersized whiting,codling etc.throw it back,does it swim away?9 out of 10 times no,it floats away in the tide belly up.I've seen match weigh ins of hundreds of pounds of dogfish which have nearly all died even when they were returned to the sea.I've seen sea anglers rip hooks out of flounders throats because they've swallowed the hook and wrasse killed because they've been reeled in that fast their swim bladders have blown.I'm not saying that all freshwater anglers are angels or all sea anglers disregard their quarry but in my experience most freshwater anglers try and look after the fish they catch.I have been a sea angler aswell as a freshwater angler for over 20 years and have never seen an unhooking mat for a bass/ray or cod.Yes some freshwater fish do caught more than once(a sea fish doesn't get the chance)so doesn't that prove that they're not suffering that badly..

I would like to add my observations on this one.

I to have fished for both, sea and fresh water, although freshwater since I was 6years old and sea for the last four years.

Being a market trader I fish Chesil beach most days during the summer period.

What I have observed there is most disturbing, Holiday makers who heave out mackerel by the dozen, with cheap rods and reels purchased from the market stalls, carrier bags full to the brim, fish being left, shaken off the hook to die on the beach without being dispatched properly.

Its manic, they fish and fish and fish and don’t stop.

Then of course they drive away leaving all their rubbish behind leaving the beach like a bomb site.

I like bass fishing and therefore go down after work, occasionally I will have a few chucks catch around 10 fish (2 for breakfast 8 for bait) back to the van for tea and when the holiday makers have gone, back down for some serious bass fishing.

Don’t get me wrong not all are holiday makers and there are some serious anglers down there as well.

But it is these people the holiday grocks who are giving the serious angler the bad name.

Now to fresh water, I have never seen this attitude displayed by any angler; most treat their quarry with the utmost respect whether it is a small roach, a quality tench, carp or bream. Wet cloths all the time, unhooking mats, and with the use of barbless hooks no damage to the mouths.

It’s a sad fact but it is true.

Regards Phil.

Ask a question and be a fool for 5 minutes! Never ask a question and be a fool for life! .

A blind person who sees is better than a seeing person who is blind.

Half the time it's just not safe for a sea angler to get down to the water's edge to dampen a fish mat, net it or slip it back by hand. The problem comes, as mentioned above, from the chav anglers that just want to kill creatures.

A serious sea angler looks after his fish, keeps them in a bucket of water when fishing matches to be returned safely to the sea when weighed in. I think coarse angling in general has more consideration for the fish, as they are from a smaller stock; there isn't a vast ocean supplying the shore with a seemingly steady stream of new fish. Freshwater is also generally baliffed so there is a threat of action being taken against people who do harm fish. I have never heard of a sea angler being charged with killing fish.

PS H.A.... I want one of those fish for my Birthday! Catching a 4lb shore plaice must be one of the most amazing shore experiences possible, what a beautiful fish! I must get in touch if I'm ever down that way and try it for myself!

Edited by Glasgowdan

One of the reasons I stopped Fishing Sea Comps was the carnage at wiegh in a littraly a Bloody disgrace, Maybe things have improved I now cant tell as I dont do it, As far as the handling of sea fish is concerned I think things are improving espeacialy in the handling of Tope, Rays, and Smoothies, I dont think the gaff is the first chioce for a return Conger these days as well,

I think we could learn alot from our fresh water counter parts, Straight away I must admit to have never having given using a unhooking matt a second thought although I own one for my Pike fishing,

I return a lot of my fish at sea and like to think I have been mindfull of thier welfare, one thing that drives me mad is fish flapping in the fish box that havent been given the last rights, Also poeple not observing size limits.

HA what a fantastic fish mate :thumbs:

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!