What Happens When The Police Impound Your Car?

Elton

As an aside, that looks like a two valve per cylinder pushrod engine (admittedly a V10). If that's what they put in the sports cars what do they put in saloons? cast iron side valve engines? Who was the engine manufacturer doing the R&D? Qualcast? :D

You'll have Newt along in a minute ;)

Yes, it's a big, unsophisticated lump, and only manages about 60bhp/litre. Still, when you have 8.3 litres, that's 500bhp. And 525lbft :D

Not my cup of tea, I must say, I like engines that rev, but effective all the same, and very, very American.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dodge Viper ≠ 'sports car'

Indeed, it's a muscle car.

Having said that I wouldn't say no to one of those, as long as I can find a sponsor to keep me in petrol.

Interesting to note that the 2008 model has an extra 100 bhp courtesy of "McLaren Performance Technologies and Ricardo" - both UK engineering companies. I wonder if the crushed car was one of theirs?

viper3.jpg

What a waste!

As an aside, that looks like a two valve per cylinder pushrod engine (admittedly a V10). If that's what they put in the sports cars what do they put in saloons? cast iron side valve engines? Who was the engine manufacturer doing the R&D? Qualcast? :D

Lol, not just me that noticed then. I did start a post, but gave up half way through. Still, give 'em a break, it doesn't have a cast exhaust manifold, not a tubular jobby either mind you! :lol:

Geoff

You'll have Newt along in a minute ;)

Yes, it's a big, unsophisticated lump, and only manages about 60bhp/litre. Still, when you have 8.3 litres, that's 500bhp. And 525lbft :D

I've got a torque wrench that can put out more than 525Lbfft !(1100lbfft to be exact) doesn't rate very highly on the bhp values though :D and wouldn't be very comfortable to nip down the shops on. :D

And does it crap itself every time it's faced with a corner? :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Indeed, it's a muscle car.

Interesting to note that the 2008 model has an extra 100 bhp courtesy of "McLaren Performance Technologies and Ricardo" - both UK engineering companies. I wonder if the crushed car was one of theirs?

Just answered my own question about the UK engine company. I'm looking for info on the driveline components now, 600bhp to the rear wheels! Is there a limited slip diff? Is it a live axle? Road testers seem to like it on the track.

New York Times

View this article from the New York Times with a good discussion of our cam-within-a-cam technology. The article comments how:

"Accomplishing variable valve timing with a single camshaft is a different matter entirely, because the lobes that lift the valves are locked in relation to each other. Engineers at Dodge, working with the British firm Mechadyne, redesigned the camshaft to create two concentric shafts, one inside the other. The hollow outer tube holds the exhaust lobes while an inner shaft drives the intake lobes."

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Just answered my own question about the UK engine company. I'm looking for info on the driveline components now, 600bhp to the rear wheels! Is there a limited slip diff? Is it a live axle? Road testers seem to like it on the track.

Quaife say it's an open diff (and offer an aftermarket LSD option)

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Dodge-Viper-SRT10-ATB-differential

Suspension is independent all round:

Front . . . . . . . . . ind, unequal-length control arms, coil springs,

anti-roll bar

Rear . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ind, unequal-length control arms with

a toe-control link, coil springs, anti-roll bar

I couldn't live with one in the UK, but I'd love to hire one in its natural environment.

Quaife say it's an open diff (and offer an aftermarket LSD option)

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Dodge-Viper-SRT10-ATB-differential

Suspension is independent all round:

Front . . . . . . . . . ind, unequal-length control arms, coil springs,

anti-roll bar

Rear . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ind, unequal-length control arms with

a toe-control link, coil springs, anti-roll bar

I couldn't live with one in the UK, but I'd love to hire one in its natural environment.

Cheers Steve,

Independent suspension and a LSD would make the thing a bit more useful on the road.

Gosh haven't American cars come on!

Nice to see that some UK automotive engineering is still alive and kicking. Some good motorcycling heritage here as well with Quaife (racing gearboxes) and Ricardo (four valve cylinder head on the Triumph 'Ricardo' in 1921) and McLaren and Mechadyne.

Corydoras might like to know that "The 1935 Citroen Rosalie, featured a design by Ricardo incorporating the Comet Mk. III combustion chamber."

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!