Are PETA right or wrong

corydoras

Veal farming is mostly a European thing because the rules governing veal in the UK are so strict it is not viable. The reason the calves are restricted from laying down is to stop them eating bedding, they are only allowed to consume milk. Whilst I am a meat eater veal is off the menu.

Not strictly true, there's a growing number of farmers supplying 'rose' veal, so named due it's meats pinker tones than the meat of milk fed animals, the calves can move around and eat normally, but the meat is has still got most of the prized qualities of milk fed veal, except the colours. Rose veal can be stunning, it's not expensive, and tastes great, I use veal shin at least once a week in something or other. We're not just talking about artisan producers here either, it's available in supermarkets these days :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right let's hit the facts instead of the cr*p.

Good idea,

Yes we are omnivors and as such are capable of healthy survival on much less meat than many of us in western society consume. Your own case example bears this out. 'Chimpanzees are largely fruit eaters, and meat composes only about 3% of the time they spent eating overall'((Boesch and Boesch 1989; Stanford et al. 1996).

Boesch, C. and H. Boesch. 1989. Hunting behavior of wild chimpanzees in the Tai National Park. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 78:547-573

Stanford, C.B. 1996. The hunting ecology of wild chimpanzees; implications for the behavioral ecology of Pliocene hominids. American Anthropologist 98: 96-113.

It's unclear which resource you recon is 'rubbish' and would be bounced upon in the UK decades ago'.

In March and April 2008, as part of major investigation, Animal Aid visited 10 English pig farms spanning five counties: Cornwall, Somerset, Lincolnshire, North Yorkshire and East Riding of Yorkshire. They found squalor and disease.

Imagine someone coming in here and reporting that they kept 3 or 4 pike in a keepnet for a few hours. Compare that with the life of a battery pig.

Poultry

Cattle

Poultry waste remains a legally-permitted feed ingredient today, and it is believed to have been extensively it was not until 1996 that UK feed manufacturers stopped using feathers and animal blood, under pressure from the supermarkets. "They were not considered user-friendly", the UKASTA spokesman said. "It is still legal to use blood -

BBC news.

Hopefully alot of what you said in defence of modern meat production is true and much of the horror has been eradicated, however there is lots of evidence to show that it hasn't totally cleaned up yet. PETA is an organisation of extremes, and that may be their undoing no one here has suggested that they should be supported in all their aims.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Hi Emma,

Back to my chimps first, certain groups of chimps feed in differing ways, some spend a lot of time using pointed twigs to get grubs out of rotting trees, others readily hunt in packs and others are mainly herbivores. It would appear that the life style adopted is based on two factors availability of food and group culture.

I am 100% certain that had you picked a pig, hen or any other animal up and beat it on the ground even back in the fifties you could have ended up in the nick.

I am very interested in the ten farms report, were the ten of them found to be breaking the law? Were they ten out of several hundreds visited? or were they ten targeted?

Animal feed, yes a very important issue, one of the issues created by dear old Maggie who decided in the name of profit for corporate farmers to allow the inclusion of crap into animal feed. This link bears out the statement.

BSE was first confirmed in cattle in 1986. Cattle are grazing animals that do not naturally eat meat. Most experts agree that BSE was most likely spread by cattle eating feed that contained meat-and-bone Meal (MBM), made from BSE-infected tissues. MBM was produced in a process called rendering; this was otherwise unused animal products were turned into animal feed.

Experiments have shown that cattle can contract BSE if they are fed infected brain tissue. This seems to support the idea that BSE was transmitted to cattle through their animal feed.

The practice of feeding MBM to cattle, and all other farm livestock is now banned.

Above quote taken from Gov. Vet. Info.

Having owned and worked a small 86 acre farm, mostly run by my wife I might add for some ten years and during the BSE outbreak, I did a lot of back up reading rules and regs etc. in my free time whilst working overseas and due to a large amount of my income going into the situation you can bet my involvement was taken seriously. On leave periods and between contracts I had the privilege to live and work with a number of small farmers most of whom relied on beef and pork to substitute a dwindling milk market profit. Please believe me I never ever saw any of these farmers abuse their animals, they were all very proud of their stock and it's well being.

Good healthy animals fetch top prices.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

trouble is the animals are not kept on natures level playing fields ,most are fed protein thats not plants! our seas are being stripped of food fish (food for other fish) to put in animal feed now that animal protein cant be used.

as for how their kept i care not and i have no problem how their dispatched they are animals ,we have no problem subjecting humans to the same fate so animals come second in the equation

i want foreigners to starve and go naked so i can eat and be clothed ,fairtrade is the worst thing to happen for decades.

you have to remember foreigners dont know what food is (i think they eat money? or perhaps flies going by the adverts they keep a skinny kid to attract flies!!!! for food?) so anything edible would be left to rot (beit living or in the ground or on trees) we should make them pay us to take their stuff off their hands ,they probably wonder what we do with it anyway. :rolleyes:

perhaps dolphin harvesting could take the stress of food fish ,total waste of food letting them swim about doing bugger all.

in this country animals are mistreated because for one the gov dont care so long as they pay their taxes and two if they get caught the penalty isnt big enough to dissuade them from doing it and 3 for the first two reasons theres not enough inspectors.

back to the dolphin harvesting it would be good merchandising to name each tin with the animals name and position in the pod so you could collect whole families perhaps a nice picture of it as well :thumbs:

as for chimps just eating 3% meat its probably exactly the same as humans eating "basics" ranges of food that are supposed to have "meat" in them :rolleyes: most people are vegetarians in the main but eat some meat to make eating worth doing

if we were supposed to be vegetarians why did god fill animals with meat? and meat is just recycled vegetable matter after all ,animals are natures way of concentrating vegetables into food thats edible for humans.

i mean to say if humans were supposed not to eat meat why is their first food proteins from meat (milk)??? what plant produces milk naturally? and secondary which baby could crawl to it to drink it?

we are meat eaters because we have canines just as blokes have telltale chromosomes designating them ,you can hide away or dress up as much as you like but in both cases we are designed to be what we are ,pretending otherwise doesnt change anything

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson