RSA Strategy

Elton

Big cod obviously don't like bag limits, yet when it comes to his own fully endorses boat limits, strange that.

Quite pleased also to agree with Steves sentiments regarding this;

First of all, how did the organisations who responded gather the views of their memberships? What questions did they ask, were there conditions attached to acceptance of bag limits, i.e, only if benefits to angling can be proved first, or, only as part of an overall conservation measure where it has been proved necessary? Then, did those organisations truly represent the wishes of their members? You would hope they did, but can't take anything for granted.

Yet offers no explanation apart from it's 'association business,' strange that. Even some of the guys on the other forum have asked the question with regards to an explanation, yet it remains unanswered.

Big cod is quite pleased to agree with this:

It's not a blame game, Ada, it's a highlighting excercise. If no questions are asked and fingers aren't pointed, these people will be free to carry on as before, unchallenged. I'm not prepared to sit back and let that happen. You can ask for censorship and try stifle free speach as much as you like, but if this thread is locked I'll just start another one. The only way to stop this, is for those in a position to, to start answering the questions.

Nice one steve.

Yet gets upset and cry's foul when questions are asked that concerns association business, in particular from the very people who he is trying to target to support a fishing festival. Strange.

Barry lets get something straight association buisness has nothing to do with you or anybody else for that matter i think mike freeman ansered that question mike repects the association decision or didnt you see the post,.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Barry hope your keeping well.

In my opinion they will be changes to RSA as we know it, come what may.

You have to be careful in what doors you want to slam shut in a building that has to have doors left open.

For example, a large percentage of anglers say (according to what we reed on here) they want nothing to do with article 47 and being included in commercial quotas. Understandable door they want to slam shut. There’s a lot of publicity steered up (which I believe that everybody knew there would be) and so Brussels reply by saying that it will only apply to commercial anglers then? So another door opens, how do you prove that your not a professional angler and how do the powers that be enforce this legislation? Quite simple, enforce bag limits. commercial fishermen who can make a decent living for a few weeks catching fish with a rod and line (and of course has the quota) wants to also take paying anglers to sea to boost his commercial living. How do the powers that be distinguish between an RSA and a casual commercial fisherman? I think you know the rest Barry.

Bag limits rod licences have been accepted for years by millions of course fishermen, they also fill in return sheet’s and questionnaires on there days fishing. they have fought hard to have bag limits put on profitable fish like sea trout and salmon so that no commercial gane can be obtained from a participant in a sport.

I have yet to here anything about any sort of self regulation by anyone connected to RSA in this part of the world. Like you the only regulation that I have seen put on anglers is what boat can and cannot join a closed shop.

Regards.

So as an angler john you are now in favour of licenes ,bag limits ,no go closed areas log books,log sheets so want to see your so called fellow anglers percicuted and what might come out of this a couple shifts overtime for the lads i didnt see or hear of any mention any bag limits when your photo of 100 stone of fillits was plasterd all over the place on the internet or have you sudenly has some sort of brain wave now you work for nsfc.

Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg

Nobody's fed me with anything, Leon. As I hadn't heard anything up until recently, I'd assumed that this had been filed in the bin.

Thanks for the link, which I've had a scan through. It seems, at first glance, that even Defra conceded that most of it was unworkable and unwanted and that they're trying to amend it to get something through.

I'm going to that meeting in Felixstowe, as are a few others, I understand. It'll be my first time at such a meeting, so should be an eye-opener. If the tides are right, I'll pack my kit and have a dabble afterwards :)

Good on you Elton Murphy.

Do you know why DEFRA are so keen to push through the RSA Strategy ?? Along with the Tope protection byelaw it is meant to form part of raft of incentives to appease anglers so that they can hit us with the negatives like bag limits and eventually a sea angling licence. DEFRA actually think they are doing us a favour with the RSA strategy. Remember when it first came out and they were offering toilets and slipways, and advice on hook sizes. This is there gift to us to soften us up.

I think were getting the RSA strategy whether we like it or not and although I hate the idea its the least of our worries.

I blaim Leon.

Edited by glennk

Guest challenge
So as an angler john you are now in favour of licenes ,bag limits ,no go closed areas log books,log sheets so want to see your so called fellow anglers percicuted and what might come out of this a couple shifts overtime for the lads i didnt see or hear of any mention any bag limits when your photo of 100 stone of fillits was plasterd all over the place on the internet or have you sudenly has some sort of brain wave now you work for nsfc.

So Paul, could you please point out to me where I have said I am in favour of bag limits? Rod licences? Or any other restrictions on RSA come to that?

What I was trying to do without disclosing what I am professionally not allowed to

Was explaining that there is going to be change and so what you want to be doing is campaigning for what might harm you the least. Campaigning to slam shut every door of choice that is open to you when you don’t know what is really on the other side of that door of choice could be damaging.

As for overtime Paul? Have again just finished a six day 70 hour week, so I can assure you that overtime is not one of the things that we crave, we have plenty to do without having to enforce more by-laws.

The NESFC is not here to police and enforce people’s ideologies but to police and enforce Legislation and by-laws that are relevant to our district.

Regards.

'Challenge', I have no real 'beef' with you; but you probably are not doing yourself any favours with stuff you posted here. Certainly, you are not doing me any favours as a dedicated and responsible RSA.

i didnt see or hear of any mention any bag limits when your photo of 100 stone of fillits was plasterd all over the place on the internet or have you sudenly has some sort of brain wave now you work for nsfc.

How do the powers that be distinguish between an RSA and a casual commercial fisherman?

That's easy .... RSAs have a tendency to put back a large proportion of their catch.

They don't sell fish ... otherwise they are 'scummers' in your book and mine.

You may not like regulation, but it's coming one way or another.

I've dived and fished where regulations are very strictly imposed.

When I saw your boat's catches I was not envious, but ashamed that you (is it a Whitby thing?) pose as a Charter Skipper, but make and prepare catches not dissimilar to many hard-working Under 10s.

If I wus a Wurzel, I'd think of you as 'dark side'.

I'm all for freedoms and minimal regulation, but it's because of you, bottom scrapers and scallop dredgers that we have near-reached a 'tipping point', when we have to make serious and responsible decisions to safeguard our fisheries.

If you wonder why I speak in this manner to you, take a charter out of Langstone, Poole or Weymouth and see how skippers and RSAs treat their catches.

If I catch 25 bream, I keep 4! Nothing wrong with that.

Thassit.

That's the way it'll be, with or without regulation, if we want to keep our inshore stocks both for recreational and sustainable commercial fisherman in the immediate future.

B)

Clive has been doing his homework looks like logbooks could be on the way the NFSA gave cefas a helping hand in the beginning if we help them collect data we have been promished a 1lb box of squid for each charter for life.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/in...hp?topic=8642.0

PAUL.

Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg

That's a copy and paste from the CEFAS website:

http://www.cefas.co.uk/projects/recreation...ea-angling.aspx

Cooperation from anglers is crucial if the project is to succeed in providing an improved knowledge base to underpin future management of recreational sea angling.

That line is enough for me to want to give it a wide berth. I go fishing to escape from all the crap life throws at me. Last thing I want is to be 'managed' in this moment of escapism.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

There is no such thing as the NFSA Paul. They ceased trading some time back now.

I know that glenn but they did first take part in the study and got the ball rolling even though they have now liquidated.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg

Not so much liquidated Paul as metamorphosed. They became the angling trust in a bid to leave all their past troubles behind. They seem to think the sea angling public to be very naive if they expect us to forget their past. Also they seem to think that somehow they now have more members yet most carp anglers couldnt give a hoot about cod catchers and vice versa, were poles apart (no pun intended).

The organisation needs a shake up from the top and a whole new list of policy's based on prserving what we have rather than giving it all away.