RSA Strategy

Elton

That sums the situation up perfectly for me. If we co-operate with data gathering and support their plans to manage us, in any way, we won't have a leg to stand on if we don't like what we end up with. (And I don't believe a word of the claptrap being spouted by our misrepresentatives about how, "we'll be alright", "socio economic importance", "low impact user", etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.)

If we want to live to fight another day, we've got to think seriously about what they could do to us - and the likelyhood of it being good, or bad. Personally, I don't trust them. They have shown us in the past that they have no intention of doing anything good for sea angling, or fish stocks. Why do they want to manage us? Why do they, (and some misrepresentatives), think we need managing? There is a hidden agenda and we don't know what it is yet.

The RSA strategy, angler log books, data gathering excercises, scientific studies into sea angling, and management measures are not necessary. So, you have to ask yourself, why are we facing all of them?

Because people in CEFAS can secure ther jobs and create nice little empires by managing us. They don't have many commercial boats left to manage so they need us to destroy as well.

You have seen 'Yes minister' you should know how it works!

Cleeclive

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The evolution of the RSA Strategy has been nothing short of an absolute disgrace and continues to provide evidence of how your average Joe sea angler has, and still is being, sold down the river.

When I first voiced concerns over some of the content in Draft V3 (30th December 2006) I was met with cries of 'Oh, it's only a loose framework', 'there's going to be a strategy whether we like it or not' etc. etc. etc.

Bull.

To the trained eye, it was very apparent that much of the content concerning the management and regulation of the sport had come directly from a number of prominent 'representatives' exhibiting all of the usual hallmarks of their misunderstanding of real angling, and an overwhelming desire to be the first unelected 'prefects' of the pastime.

RSA Summary of Responses

The results did not indicate a strong preference in favour of implementing the strategy. However, neither did they indicate that respondents were against a strategy. In fact, there were only a small minority of respondents that mentioned the need for a strategy. These responses generally came from national angling representative bodies.

Arguments against include the following:

 RSA has existed as a sport for centuries without formal management

 A strategy is a cover for control and restrictions on sea angling

 RSA does not have as big an impact on fish stocks as commercial fishing, therefore is less of a priority in terms of sustainable fisheries management

 The provision of more and bigger fish will not result from a strategy

Arguments in favour include the following:

 Full and sustainable management of coastal fisheries is not possible without including RSA.

 A strategy provides a framework for a comprehensive package of measures for sea anglers

 A strategy will bring benefits through representation and the sector having a „voice‟, since decisions being made about the future of the sport will depend on input from the sector.

The full impact of RSA on fish stocks is not known, therefore more management of the RSA sector would be a useful first step to determining how RSA affects fish stocks.

Read this again, again and again, until it sinks in. Ask yourself, who wanted the Strategy, who refused to bin the concept despite our wishes, who is still peddling it?

Following the widespread rubbishing of the 'better access' references in the document, some unelected mouthpieces started to tell us that a strategy is necessary for the implementation of stock control that will benefit RSA.

Again, absolute tosh!

DEFRA did not throw out the increased Bass mls proposal because an RSA Strategy was not finalised. Neither did need a completed strategy to 'give' Tope 'increased' protection.

"If it was accepted that RSA didn't want to go ahead with the strategy, it is likely that there would be no further work on RSA issue."

Suits me just fine, Leon. I have no issue with recreational sea angling. I come and go as I please, use whatever gear I feel appropriate, catch whatever I want, take whatever I feel that I require.

The only conflict is that my wishes do not tally with those individuals and organisations that want / need to administer my activities necessary to secure their long term positions at the table, for when the invites are being dished out.

Quickly picking up on Steve's reference to 'trust', and the people asking for our input.

I have none. I have been lied to, misled, bullsh1tted, virtually blackmailed.....the list goes on, with evidence to fully support each of these claims. How am I supposed to 'trust' them now???

There's only one answer to that. More or less pack in the pursuit I love, then I'll have 'nothing to lose'.

Because people in CEFAS can secure ther jobs and create nice little empires by managing us. They don't have many commercial boats left to manage so they need us to destroy as well.

You have seen 'Yes minister' you should know how it works!

Cleeclive

Yes, that's how I see things, but it goes deeper. Within sea angler misrepresentation, we have a hardcore of serial meeting goers. Their knowledge of sea angling is extremely limited, their experience, even more so. Their desire to rub shoulders with the politicians, civil servants and scientists who seem hell bent on destroying our sport, far outweighs any desire they have ever had to go fishing. Their lack of success, as anglers, has lead them to believe that restricting and controlling the activities of successful anglers, will, somehow, put more fish on their hooks on the rare occasions that they do make it out of the front door, onto the beach, dock or boat. They believe that by curbing our activities, the muddy creeks they fish will soon be teaming with the fish; and that their incompetence on the beach will pale into insignificance. Such is their ignorance. And if they aren't allowed to fish once their 'friends' have had their way, it won't matter too much to them because there will still be meetings to attend and committees to sit on, where they can assert even more of the 'authority' that they crave.

Until we have proper sea anglers representing us, fighting for the survival of the sport as we know it instead of trying to turn it into an eco warriors eutopia, we are doomed to a future of being ruled by the sea angling dictatorship that threatens us now. The RSA strategy is their weapon of choice.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hi Steve

I have always wondered why our sea angling reps actually behave as they do. Do they believe what they say ? and do they believe that if we are regulated it will mean their fishing experience will improve.

I have noted that Sea angling reps are quick to post up pictures of big bass and big cod on Chesil beach or Grimsby market. I am wondering if they really believe that one day that picture will be them with half a dozen lunkers lined up on the beach.

Being realistic it is highly unlikely they can deliver the promise of more and bigger fish as the main obstacle to this goes un-tackled and unmentioned in any Strategy, Bill or MPZ plan.

Also they need to wake up. Crap anglers will always be crap anglers and even if they had lived in the 60's and through the gadoid outburst that picture with the cod on Chesil beach would never have been them. 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the anglers and they wont get into that 10% because they spend their time sucking up to politicians rather than fishing.

Edited by glennk

Hi Steve

I have always wondered why our sea angling reps actually behave as they do. Do they believe what they say ? and do they believe that if we are regulated it will mean their fishing experience will improve.

I have noted that Sea angling reps are quick to post up pictures of big bass and big cod on Chesil beach or Grimsby market. I am wondering if they really believe that one day that picture will be them with half a dozen lunkers lined up on the beach.

Being realistic it is highly unlikely they can deliver the promise of more and bigger fish as the main obstacle to this goes un-tackled and unmentioned in any Strategy, Bill or MPZ plan.

Also they need to wake up. Crap anglers will always be crap anglers and even if they had lived in the 60's and through the gadoid outburst that picture with the cod on Chesil beach would never have been them. 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the anglers and they wont get into that 10% because they spend their time sucking up to politicians rather than fishing.

I'm not 100% sure about misrepresentatives from other parts of the country, because I don't know them. But around here, it's almost certainly the case that those spending the least time fishing and catching fewest fish, are shouting the loudest for something to be "done". I can understand people, like Ada, complaining because they aren't catching what they used to catch, but the ones who are shouting the odds at the moment have never been successful - and probably never will be, no matter how much they curtail my sport. They haven't got a clue what they are demanding, because they've never had it. They haven't got a clue what effect their demands will have on our sport, because they've never experienced it. The arrogance required to think that everyone should fish according to their strategy, is beyond measure.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I can understand people, like Ada, complaining because they aren't catching what they used to catch,

Oi

I still catch more than you no-hopers!

fancy a comp?

B)