Pseudo Forum names

Maggie

This is not about whether you ‘should’ or ‘should not’ use pseudo names on the forum as this has been discussed before, but if you do use a pseudo name on the forum why did you choose it?; or do you know why other angling writers chose their pen names?

I read that Denys Watkins-Pitchford chose the pseudo name ‘BB’ because it was the size of shot he used in his shotgun cartridges while shooting Geese.

When Richard Walker first started writing he used “Water Rail” as his pen name because it was: in his own words “dead crafty about using cover and moving about”.

My other half uses the pseudo name "BoldBear" on this forum because it's the same name as his character in the online game "World of Warcraft" which he plays with our son.

So I am interested to know; (if you do use a pseudo name on the forum) why did you choose it?; or does anyone know why other angling writers chose their pen names?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Maggie, (or should I say Mrs BoldBear :D ) Welcome to AN.

Once you get to 'know' more about some of the other members, then their names will become self explanatory.

Mine comes from early efforts (some successful some not), to breed gozzers in my match fishing days. Since it's connected to angling I thought it appropriate.

I still like to refer to the persons 'real' name if it's in their signature, especially if it's 'off forum'.

There are so many with my name it would cause confusion, it's as 'common as muck' :) .

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I chose Arf as it's the first arf of my whole name.

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!

I wasn't clever enough to think of one so I just used my name without realizing that newts are common enough in the UK that it would look like a pseudo name.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Mark Wintle on another forum said that Walker also used 'L. O. Mycock' and 'Courtney Moore' as pseudo names. Very subtle plays on words :)

I didn't know about the other pen names that he sometimes used, I only read about his early pen name 'Water Rail' in the book 'The Best of Dick Walkers Coarse Fishing - edted by Peter Maskell 1988'.

Also that when he developed the Grinnner knot it was named after his young son.

I can understand why some people use nicknames etc. But personally i use my own name, I got nothing to hide. If i upset someone not that i do very often, Atleast they know who done it.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

The only problem I have with 'pseudo names' is when the same person has multiple pseudonyms from one forum to another. It's quite possible to like or dislike, the very same person, depending on the forum. At least when you know who you're reading or talking to, you can make an informed decision on the matter.

A few years ago, I decided to change from 'Poach' everywhere to 'Andy Macfarlane'. I don't have a problem with the nickname as such but I thought it only fair that people knew who they were talking to. On one or 2 forums, I couldn't change my name without starting with a new membership but I still retain the same signature everywhere I go and so far, there hasn't been any confusion, I don't think.

....Poach....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Mine sounds like a subtle play on word (Ken L - Canal - Geddit?) but it isn't, it's just my name. Ken L on here, Ken Loughran on other boards.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.