Child "Fishermen"

kleinboet

I went to a pond today which is close to where I live. Everything was going 'swimmingly'(excuse the unintentional pun) with a regular amount of 1lb+ Roach coming out, until about 8 children pitched up, all chattering excitedly, set up tackle which could have landed Any 100lb+ fish and cast straight into my swim. needless to say, day over for fish. Wouldn't it be wonderful if these kids had to LEARN about fishing craft. Something of the order of a car drivers licence.

OH BLISS!!!!! :(:(:(

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three options here.

One, swear, pack up and go home!

Two, swear, pack up and move to another swim!

Three, swear, resign yourself to a change of plan, wade in and help them catch!

In an ideal world youngsters would be accompanied by a responsible adult angler who would help them enjoy their angling and to do it with regard to other anglers.

that is one of the main problem with fisheries today is the amount of kids who fish them that have no idea how to fish. they make so much noise and leave a lot of litter. that is why i only fish with people of a similar age to me (14ish) and who know how to fish and behave and concentrate.

Personally I think that they should be accompanied by a resposible adult until they are at least 12 yrs old, and or are competant as junior anglers, and what about the safety aspect?. :confused:

The 2 clubs that I am in, make the under 12 thing a rule. At the local leisure centre it is a rule that I have never seen enforced, but then again there are no "baillifs" only money collectors. I along with many other anglers on this water regulally help and sort things out for them, some times having to give them bait , hooks & floats, and on 2 occasions I have had to respool their reels with line as I have near enough always got a spare spool or 2 in my tackle box (only when doing a bit of float fishing tho' not when carping or piking).

Several times I've seen parents drop their children off and just leave them to fend for themselves and learn for themselves aswell, the parents not being anglers (what about the safety aspect again?). This is when they start to get bored and then the mischief sets in. But we had to learn ourselves. I had to teach myself aswell no-one else in the family being anglers, & I dare say that I was no angel then either. :D:D

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Guest sslatter

boilies:

that is one of the main problem with fisheries today is the amount of kids who fish them that have no idea how to fish. they make so much noise and leave a lot of litter. that is why i only fish with people of a similar age to me (14ish) and who know how to fish and behave and concentrate.

Funny that..I see plenty of adult "fishermen" while out-and-about who do exactly the same thing as the "kids" you mention.

It's not just a "kids' thing" IMO.

when i come across a group of "junior" anglers on the pond i bailiff i put the biggest in charge of the rest (juniors are allowed to fish alone in daylight without a senior member) dire warnings are given to the "leader" about litter or "playing" about (reminding them their addresses are on the permit ),i make sure (i can only ask) the parents know where they are and check they have the neccesary items that are mandatory (unhooking mat ,landing nets etc) .

i restrict them to the shallow side of the pond (one side gradually goes from 1ft to 7ft the other side drops straight into 6ft) and enquire when their being picked up and make a habit of going back just before this time if possible (i live just up the road) just to make sure everythings ok

one pair came fishing with just one landing net and unhooking mat (the byelaws state that each member has his own) so i told him (verbal warning) and gave him a note to his parents telling them why ,i also told him that if he showed them the note (otherwise he could just throw it away) that they "may" buy the requested items the next time i saw them both had the full kit :D

adults dont have to be present to have kids behave just the threat of the concequences if they dont

regarding the tackle i just "advise" having been a kid myself without fatherly fishing interaction i made mistakes myself ,luckily in those days adults could talk to kids without having to look over their shoulders for the press :mad:

saying this though pervs did exist then keston ponds had its own trench coated person but luckily my parents had explained that "strange" people were about so i spotted him as he was

adult member i show no such goodwill though ,the slightest infringement and its a written warning so far i have only confiscated 1 permit

[ 02. January 2004, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks boys. Mat, I am an experienced fisherman and if I go near them to attempt to show them anything, I will be branded as a paedophile.

The problem is, this Renault Megane Arrived and unloaded the kids with "I'll be back at 4 to pick you up".

The owner of the water had no choice but to let them fish, but only after telling them to behave themselves. The problems caused by them were due to inexperience on their part, which is why I say they need to be taught to pass a test and get a 'licence' to fish. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription