Do you guys prefer Carp Fishing or general fishing ?

Lake owner

I tried the big Carp fishing scene for several years once; but the pull of more enjoyable active fishing called me back to the real world again.

Every method you use to catch whatever turns you on, can be used to catch carp. I've enjoyed catching them on float tackle, feeders, light ledger gear and I've even had a clumsy go for them with flyfishing tackle. I've stalked them in the margins, launched rigs over 150 yards to intercept a showing fish, and I've caught them in mid-water on zig rigs. I've hunted them on rivers, small forgotten pools and vast inland seas. I've fished 'seriously' for them, and I've done the social thing where the company of my friends has outranked catching by miles. Most of all, I've fished my way, under my preferred rules, and I've absolutely loved every trip.

While I was at it, I didn't once feel the need to put down those who prefer different ways of fishing. I just get on enjoying what I do, without worrying about other people. Oh well, maybe 'live and let live' is a carp angler thing, eh?

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sat minding my own buisness when you get thick head bailiffs ridiculing your lighter tackle every 5 minutes and telling you that you should be using 15lb line and 3lb test curve rods etc. And thats before the carpers start having a go. Idiots.

Idiots indeed. Happily, I've never met such fools, but make sure you never become one of them by decrying another angler's right to fish how they prefer.

I've heard idiots sneering at pole anglers for spending fortunes to catch tiddlers, pike anglers for chugging up and down lakes all day trolling, and fluff-chuckers for making the job harder for themselves with their dry flies and upstream casting. In fact, whatever type of angling you enjoy will have been sneered at by some git who believes their way is the only way.

Stuff 'em. As long as you look after the fish, the venue, other anglers and yourself, just do what you enjoy. ;)

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Idiots indeed. Happily, I've never met such fools, but make sure you never become one of them by decrying another angler's right to fish how they prefer.

I've heard idiots sneering at pole anglers for spending fortunes to catch tiddlers, pike anglers for chugging up and down lakes all day trolling, and fluff-chuckers for making the job harder for themselves with their dry flies and upstream casting. In fact, whatever type of angling you enjoy will have been sneered at by some git who believes their way is the only way.

Stuff 'em. As long as you look after the fish, the venue, other anglers and yourself, just do what you enjoy. ;)

Exactly. I only have a problem with other anglers when they interfere with my methods.

Well said wordbender, each to his own and this sport of ours is big enough to allow everyone to follow their own course.

One fear that I do have though is the number of youngsters who start carp fishing as an entry into the sport without understanding the basics. They want to catch large fish but don't have a clue about water craft or perhaps more importantly how to handle a fish once they have caught it. Some of them even have no respect for the other species of fish they may catch along the way. I have heard many of them say, 'I only had a couple of snotties, bloody things'. Tench are similarly dis respected. That is a trend that I don't like.

Carp and pike fishing are the pinnacles of our sport of coarse angling and my belief is that anglers should work their way up to those heights, not start there.

There are a few different issues here, and each would (I think) get a different response from some that have posted.

There are those carp anglers that fish waters that have a small head of fish, and need to put in the preparation and rod hours to achieve their goal.

There are those that fish waters that hold a larger, (usually artificial) head of carp. The fishing is much easier, but they still think that they have to use the same approach as the aforementioned group.

Then their are the ones who like to call themselves 'carp anglers', (usually because they have been brainwashed into thinking it carries some kudos). They fish the over stocked waters where it is difficult to catch anything else but carp. Many of these 'carp anglers' still think that it's necessary to use the 'specimen' approach.

The other type of 'carp angler' is the match angler that fishes this type of over stocked water, relying on carp to make up the bulk of their catches. These waters were first built with match angling in mind.

The last two types of water I avoid like the plague, in fact I see them as a form of pollution that will ruin the future of general, mixed coarse fishing in this country.

My feelings about this are so strong, that I said, that if I was ever in a position where they were the only waters available to me, then I would hang up my rods.

I find myself in that position now, and unless my circumstances change, my last trip will have been just that, my last trip.

I had a look at your lake and to be honest, sorry, I wasn't impressed. The colour of the water suggests that there is a large head of carp present, and personally it's not my thing.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

That would be a shame gozzer, but surely that is cutting off your nose etc.. There are plenty of natural venues around that suit all types of fishing and whilst I have some sympathy with your views I would be very unlikely to ever give fishing. I say that even if for some strange reason it were made illegal I wouldn't be able to hang up my rods! I have fished ditches with a few sticklebacks in as a kid and if necessary I would do the same now. I fish the fly for trout on reservoirs and natural rivers and I fish in the sea from the beach, pier and boat so I am sure that I will always be able to fish so long as there is someone good enough to push my bathchair out of the home to a suitable location. :D

Ive always liked a mixture of everything! The lake looks nice as well but even though its only a few minutes from my house at £10 a ticket unfortunately out of my price range!

Lake owner,try not to let it become "another carp water" Believe you me even with the smaller carp you seem to have lots of instant anglers (and that these days enevitably means anglers wanting carp) will decend on the place with their 3lb TC rods and bivvy tactics! I have no problem with these tactics BTW and use them my self....but only in the right situation!

To me your water looks like one that should attract general anglers and catching the odd carp along the way just be a bonus.

Keep it natural as possible and best of luck!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

There are plenty of natural venues around that suit all types of fishing

I wish. Rivers, perhaps, but I'm finding it hard to think of many stillwaters that don't now contain carp, and most of those contain more carp than anything else. Maybe that's not so much the case down south where you've got a greater variety of coarse fishing to choose from, but it certainly seems to be the case up here.

I have nothing against the guys who want to camp out for a few days by a nice lake, I've done it often enough myself for pike. What I don't like is the tendency to put vast numbers of small carp in every hole in the ground. When I was a kid, ponds had fairly clear water and weedbeds, features that are just not seen any more because of the mud-grubbers. To find clear water now you have to go on rivers or big lakes!

That would be a shame gozzer, but surely that is cutting off your nose etc.. There are plenty of natural venues around that suit all types of fishing and whilst I have some sympathy with your views I would be very unlikely to ever give fishing. I say that even if for some strange reason it were made illegal I wouldn't be able to hang up my rods! I have fished ditches with a few sticklebacks in as a kid and if necessary I would do the same now. I fish the fly for trout on reservoirs and natural rivers and I fish in the sea from the beach, pier and boat so I am sure that I will always be able to fish so long as there is someone good enough to push my bathchair out of the home to a suitable location. :D

It's not a decision I've taken lightly, it's come about because of the present economic situation, and my location.

I've had to sell my car, and the only waters that are now within reasonable travelling distance are like the one's I described. Since I always went fishing for enjoyment, and this type of water doesn't give me any pleasure, then going would be pointless.

As a kid I thought nothing of walking a few miles to the bus station, then having an hours journey, only to walk a couple of miles to my 'favourite' swim, then the same in reverse later. But spending more time travelling than fishing doesn't appeal now at my age.

I feel it more because angling has been the one constant throughout my life, from 'helping' my dad sort his gear as a toddler 50+yrs ago, to the moaning old git I am now. :D

Sad, but that's life.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John