Hand lining!

bluezulu

Everything they caught, that was edible, would have been eaten, of course. If not by the family then by the employees of the brickworks that they ran.

Rods would have made it easier, but there weren't any. The line was laid out on the beach very carefully and the weight tossed underarm. Some would swing it around their head, but it's surprising how far an underarm toss will send it.

In the position they were in, it would have been much easier to have bought fish from the seine netters, so I suppose it must have been 'sport' to a certain extent!

[ 05. June 2004, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like your ancestors we also started off with beach poles and handlines, because we had nothing better. We fished for sport, but we also fished for the table.

I think we are fast getting away from the spirit of the thread!

Some folk apparently see handlining as a short cut to success. Basically reducing the value of their sport to just one criterior, pounds on the bank, that is all that matters.

What comes next? We've already got unattended self-hooking rigs which are basically set lines attached to a rod, so perhaps a drop-net or hand grenade might be the next retrograde step!

Angling is a sport. Unfortunately some folk seem intent on devaluing it.

[ 05. June 2004, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Reducing fishing to 'sport' is a retrograde step.

I think that the most important aspect of fishing is satisfying our hunter/gatherer instincts.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Sounds like one for the retro angling brigade, :P , to split cane and centre pins and such new fangled technologies, these folks have really gone back to the basics of where the sport began. Trust the hooks were made of whale bone or antler. :D

thinking about it as appauling as using a radio controlled boat armed with cam, and sonar, to take your baits to the right spot.

Here is to the happy medium.