Sign language on the BBC

Ken L

The service is optional, it's on specific broadcasts, shown in the middle of the night, if you want the show without the signing, watch or record one of the many non signed showings.

To show signing as an elective service in the style of 888 is impossible, it could be done as a 'red button' type interactive digital service, but the work, cost and the bandwidth involved to have signing on every showing of every show would make it unworkable.

I know to someone who needs to watch the signed shows, having to record something in the middle of the night isn't ideal, it means waiting to watch first run shows, and if you haven't got a PVR it means a lot of taping, but I can't see a better solution given the current technology constraints.

I notice Chuck, sorry, Ken has been pretty quiet on this since page three.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeepster,

The ideal solution would be to put the signed ones on at peak time, and the un-signed ones in the wee small hours. That way, me and your friend would be happy, and balls to the rest of you. :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Andy, Your sentiment is right - but what we are saying is that the BBC have overlaid programs and broadcast them whether you are a deaf person (who uses BSL, as there arwe some that don't!) or not.

All we are saying is that the BBC should be neutral in this respect and not try for "brownie points" from a small minority. Make it available? Definately! But as an elective option as with subtitles and (those who have digital) audio description!

I'm sorry as I didn't realise that 888 was the Teletext service - which tells you how much I watch tv!

However, why fret about an elective service when the signed programmes are signed repeats of previously non-sugned programmes? It's that complaining about making repeats available to a wider audience outside of prime hours which I find distateful.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Jeepster,

The ideal solution would be to put the signed ones on at peak time, and the un-signed ones in the wee small hours. That way, me and your friend would be happy, and balls to the rest of you. :D

:)

I notice Chuck, sorry, Ken has been pretty quiet on this since page three.

I have. I looked in last night when I got in but the thread had drifted off topic.

I maintain that i-player would be a better medium for provision of signing services. It doesn't need to be limited in the same way as it is for the main i-player servoce and whole serise could be stacked up on a server and made available on demand.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

In an ideal world there would be something like you describe, and I'm sure it'll happen in the near future, my BT Vision box already has most of the capability required, but currently it's not possible and as the situation is most definitely not broken I can't see it really needs fixing.

I have. I looked in last night when I got in but the thread had drifted off topic.

I maintain that i-player would be a better medium for provision of signing services. It doesn't need to be limited in the same way as it is for the main i-player servoce and whole serise could be stacked up on a server and made available on demand.

So what about folks who can't get broadband. Normally I agree with most of your posts Ken, but to grudge deaf folks 3 or 4 hours of repeats with signing in the middle of the night just does not make any sense to me, and KB should be ashamed of himself for taking your side.

No wonder the Aussies call you lot whinging pommies.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

So what about folks who can't get broadband.

How many are we talking about ?

No broadband would be a very rural area with an antquated telephone exchange and no 3G coverage and there can't be many people in that situation.

Given that the internet is such a boon to the hearing impaired with it being largely text based and (with broadband) capable of supporting BSL comunication using services like Sype video calling, there can't be many BSL users that don't already have full broadband access.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Cory - I am not complaining about the wee small hours. Try watching on a Sunday - according to the TV magazines there are quite a few!

The sign zone, is not really the answer as the few people who do watch it need to be night owls as it runs from 12:55am in the morning!! Surely with all the technology available today it COULD be possible to make it an elective service................ Or is it just that the BBC would have to find more programs instead of runnig thes repeats!!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

How many are we talking about ?

No broadband would be a very rural area with an antquated telephone exchange and no 3G coverage and there can't be many people in that situation.

Given that the internet is such a boon to the hearing impaired with it being largely text based and (with broadband) capable of supporting BSL comunication using services like Sype video calling, there can't be many BSL users that don't already have full broadband access.

There are huge swathes of Scotland that still can't get broadband, 3g or terrestrial TV.

Your there can't be many of this and can't be many of that don't cut no ice with me Ken. Your arguing through personal incredulity. I expect better from you.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote